5.0 out of 5 stars A more than worthy second album
Published 18 months ago by A. Sweeney

2.0 out of 5 stars The difficult (same) album
There's nothing wrong with this album. In fact, if you liked Sigh No More, then I see no reason for you to dislike this album. Largely because it's pretty indiscernible from it.
And that's it's let down - I see no reason to buy this as it's just a variation on a well trodden theme. After 4 or so listens I started to differentiate some of the tunes, but generally...
Published 20 months ago by Andy C

5.0 out of 5 stars A more than worthy second album, 31 Dec 2012
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
"Can they really follow Sigh No More?" That was the question that every person who loved Mumford & Sons' début album wanted answered. My answer is a resounding yes; Babel is nothing less than brilliant. Musically, there is no departure at all. The sound is very similar to their first album, but the songs are different enough to feel like a brand new collection of compositions, the vocal delivery is so incredibly passionate, the music so powerful and driving, with so many different dynamics being manipulated to fantastic effect, it feels every bit the equal to its predecessor. This is one of those albums that sounds better and better with every listen and every track on this album has something special to offer. If I had to pick one track as a favourite, it would be "Lover Of The Light", which is absolutely superb, but right behind it, vying for attention, are at least half a dozen of the other tracks. "Holland Road", for example, is sensational, as is "I Will Wait". The highlights are numerous and joyous and I can't recommend this album highly enough, especially to those who loved their excellent first release. The difficult second album has been tackled and it's a triumph - the third may be a little more tricky as I'm not sure another album sounding exactly the same will satisfy the fan base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babel babble..., 12 Nov 2012
Gary Crossley "garycrossley2" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
It's odd how this band stirs up such strange emotions. I have a friend who gets animated at the mere mention of M&S (such an unfortunate acronym!), his irritation with their music inexplicably extreme in my view. I lent Babel to another friend who sent it straight back saying we clearly had different musical tastes. And yet despite these friendly opinions I just can't help liking Babel, and the more I play it the more I like it. So what do I like about Babel - I think it's a combination of the melancholic lyrics, great musicianship and quality acoustic delivery. Ghosts that we Know is my favourite by a whisker. This album is clearly not for everyone but it does the job for me (PS if you like it as much as I do then try the Band from Rockall, you won't be disappointed)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good return, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
These are the basic questions:

1. Is it as Good As Sigh No More?
No, but it's still very good. It's very hard to follow an album like that and plenty of bands have released much worse 2nd albums.

2. I liked Sigh No More, should I buy this?
If you liked all of Sigh No More then yes, buy it immediately. If you only liked a couple of tracks then maybe have a listen to the new stuff on line before deciding to take the plunge.

3. Is it a change of style?
No, it's more of the same but it's a great style! However, this could be the reason that the album doesn't stand out as much as Sigh No More.

5. What's my favourite track?
Hopeless Wanderer, but I seem to be in a minority. Most reviewers prefer I Will Wait & Lover of the Light.

4. Am I a fan boy? No, I just like what I like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome band, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
This band and the musics are just awesome! I bought these CDs to my girlfriend because she and I love this band a lot. You must listen to it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
I bought this album as a present for my dad. Thought I would try it first before giving it to him. Have enjoyed it so much have had to get another copy to give to my dad instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Babel (MP3 Download)
I'm really enjoying this, I just wish they'd recorded 'Home' on it too. It's definitely got the same vibe as Sigh No More...so if you like that, you should like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 13 Dec 2012
I ordered this album for a friend's Christmas gift and it arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I am very pleased with my order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Morew music, 9 Dec 2012
B. R. Carter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Great band, original sound, powerful stuff. Preferred the first album, but this will do. I wiould love to see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it and have a copy in the car, 6 Dec 2012
Derek Hills (Upminster, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Pretty good, my son recommended Mumford to me and I have their first album. Will put it on the top shelf of my cd cabinet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but no Sigh No More, 30 Oct 2012
R. Haigh (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
A few good track on this second album (would definitely recommend the Deluxe version), but not quite Sigh No More

Babel
Babel by Mumford & Sons (Audio CD - 2012)