5.0 out of 5 stars A more than worthy second album
Published on 31 Dec. 2012 by Andy Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok follow up but no opus.
So Mumford follow up conquering the universe with this collection of songs that really sound like out-takes from the first CD. There are no great stand out songs on this CD for me, no 'Winter Winds' or 'the Cave' or 'Lion Man' etc and the whole thing feels like a slighty rushed attempt to keep their name in the frame before people focus on the next big thing. Not that I...
Published 24 months ago by Mr. Warren Lee Meacher

5.0 out of 5 stars A more than worthy second album, 31 Dec. 2012
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
"Can they really follow Sigh No More?" That was the question that every person who loved Mumford & Sons' début album wanted answered. My answer is a resounding yes; Babel is nothing less than brilliant. Musically, there is no departure at all. The sound is very similar to their first album, but the songs are different enough to feel like a brand new collection of compositions, the vocal delivery is so incredibly passionate, the music so powerful and driving, with so many different dynamics being manipulated to fantastic effect, it feels every bit the equal to its predecessor. This is one of those albums that sounds better and better with every listen and every track on this album has something special to offer. If I had to pick one track as a favourite, it would be "Lover Of The Light", which is absolutely superb, but right behind it, vying for attention, are at least half a dozen of the other tracks. "Holland Road", for example, is sensational, as is "I Will Wait". The highlights are numerous and joyous and I can't recommend this album highly enough, especially to those who loved their excellent first release. The difficult second album has been tackled and it's a triumph - the third may be a little more tricky as I'm not sure another album sounding exactly the same will satisfy the fan base.

4.0 out of 5 stars haters will hate, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Babel (MP3 Download)
When I first heard Mumford and sons I admit I did dismiss them. Then I heard them again and loved there big sound. They make instruments first associated with old men now somewhat cool. I don't think that calling people that like mumford and sons thick and not into real music is fair. Also a few people called fans half hearted and then called mumford samey as they go on is fair. I think that they get better with age. They also will still be good in 20 or even 50 years time. Bable is a really good follow up album form the foursome's first ablum (sign no more) and shows they have grown up a bit. The only negative thing about the album is that Holland road has been changed from [...] that and broken crown features a miss-mash of old songs. But then over time they grow on you and you the realize that they are really good. Sign no more album is in my top ten albums of all time. I love little lion man and white blank page from the album.

At the end of the day this is my view on things and everyone has a right to express how they feel. A great quote from mika was somthing along theses lines you can only like the bands you like and if it gives you a good feeling then it shouldn't matter what other people think. But lets not get nasty about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babel babble..., 12 Nov. 2012
Gary Crossley "garycrossley2" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
It's odd how this band stirs up such strange emotions. I have a friend who gets animated at the mere mention of M&S (such an unfortunate acronym!), his irritation with their music inexplicably extreme in my view. I lent Babel to another friend who sent it straight back saying we clearly had different musical tastes. And yet despite these friendly opinions I just can't help liking Babel, and the more I play it the more I like it. So what do I like about Babel - I think it's a combination of the melancholic lyrics, great musicianship and quality acoustic delivery. Ghosts that we Know is my favourite by a whisker. This album is clearly not for everyone but it does the job for me (PS if you like it as much as I do then try the Band from Rockall, you won't be disappointed)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good return, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
These are the basic questions:

1. Is it as Good As Sigh No More?
No, but it's still very good. It's very hard to follow an album like that and plenty of bands have released much worse 2nd albums.

2. I liked Sigh No More, should I buy this?
If you liked all of Sigh No More then yes, buy it immediately. If you only liked a couple of tracks then maybe have a listen to the new stuff on line before deciding to take the plunge.

3. Is it a change of style?
No, it's more of the same but it's a great style! However, this could be the reason that the album doesn't stand out as much as Sigh No More.

5. What's my favourite track?
Hopeless Wanderer, but I seem to be in a minority. Most reviewers prefer I Will Wait & Lover of the Light.

4. Am I a fan boy? No, I just like what I like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of the best albums of 2012., 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
After the amazing 'Sigh No More', Mumford & Sons come out with something they didn't want to do in the first place, a second album, 'Babel', but it has worked on so many levels that they are already writing their third, and they should do so.
'Babel' takes the genre of indie folk and tweaks it to near perfection.

01. BABEL (8/10)
Great, great, great opener. Full of energy and powers you up to...

02. WHISPERS IN THE DARK (7/10)
Another song that starts to take up a pinch of variety to the album itself.

03. I WILL WAIT (7/10)
The most known of the album, but surprisingly not one of the best.

04. HOLLAND ROAD (8/10)
The perfect demonstration of how sometimes simplicity means success.

05. GHOSTS THAT WE KNEW (5/10)
One of my least favourites. Not because it's too stopped, just because nothing in it stands out from the rest of the album.

06. LOVER OF THE LIGHT (9/10)
Definitely one of my favorite ones. Clocking in at 5 minutes and a half, this one will get you by the neck and charm you.

07. LOVERS' EYES (7/10)
Not much to say here, it's a nice song.

08. REMINDER (9/10)
And now comes the perfect part of the album. From here on out, every single song will be amazing. This short slow piece of music is the 'Timshel' of 'Babel', and has one of the most enchanting choruses Mumford & Sons has ever made, besides the fantastic 'Dust Bowl Dance' from their debut album.

09. HOPELESS WANDERER (8/10)
One of the most complex songs in the record, it's the perfect mix between keyboard and guitar.

10. BROKEN CROWN (10/10)
My absolute favorite from 'Babel' comes after nine tracks and is the only one which has obscene language, but like 'Little Lion Man', it's necessary this time around.

11. BELOW MY FEET (8/10)
Another charming calm song that serves well before the closing track.

12. NOT WITH HASTE (10/10)
My second favorite from the album, it's basically a slowed-down version of 'Learn Me Right', the song M&S did for the movie 'Brave'. Has one of the best lyrics in the disc.

As for the deluxe edition, there is one track it's definitely worth getting it for.

15. WHERE ARE YOU NOW (10/10)
Should have been on the album, and to this day it puzzles me why it didn't. Totally worth the extra you will pay.

FINAL VERDICT
Babel: 8.5/10, whereas in Sigh No More got a 8/10 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true musical journey, 24 July 2013
S. Stone - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Now, you must understand that I have an extremely eclectic taste in music, and not one that easily falls into a single category. I have been aware of Mumford & Sons since their first foray into the charts, and have always appreciated their music. However, it wasn't until I saw their recent live performance at Glasto that I truly began to become a (and I don;t like the word but...) 'fan'. Both albums are a rare thing these days, harking back to the LP days of a journey from beginning to end. I believe these are best listened to in order (sorry MP3 shuffler's but it's true!!) as its obvious the band have carefully considered the playing order.

Add to this the quite superb musicianship displayed by all four of them, and add in Ted's own interpretation of the word 'rhythm' (you need to see him play the Double Bass to see what I mean) and they bring a unique sound which is truly distinctive.

The lyrics are complex, meaningful and superbly written and while the melodies are simple on the surface their hidden depth and layers add hugely to the overall experience.

'Sigh no More' was a superb entry into the commercial album market, but 'Babel' takes the band a step further. Their combination of rock and folk is meticulously crafted, and they are skilled live performers.

While Babel may not be for everybody, it has certainly struck a chord with me and I am thoroughly enjoying listening to both their albums, even several weeks in.

4.0 out of 5 stars not quite brilliant, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
I have been reading previous reviews with much amusement. I grew up on a diet of Hendrix and Cream with others such as The Who/Beatles/Stones thrown in.I have rarely been interested in bands since then - got a little titillated by Coldplay but it soon passed. I love the Mumfords - their songs, playing of instruments, even their look.
I have no idea what "genre" they fit but who does but they are definitely not just folk so why all the snobbery ?
I am middle aged working class and would only use the Guardian or the Mail to wipe my arse.
I have liked the Mumfords since first hearing Winter Winds and recently retrieved my Sigh No More cd from the vaults which prompted me to buy Babel.
In my mind Babel is a half decent follow up not as strong as Sigh but still good enough.
Many of the tracks are "growers" get yourself the Road To Redrocks dvd and watch the opening Lover's Eyes. If it doesn't move you after 2-3 plays then you don't have half the intelligence I think all you doubters do have.
In conclusion although they don't realise it yet they are the best dance band for many years (just watch The Cave in Firenze/Lisboa/Madrid for proof.
I know their main appeal is 20 something females but I just can't help loving the critters and all their quirky ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2012 Musical Road of Mumford and Sons, 14 Oct. 2012
"Babel" by Mumford and Sons is certainly a different musical departure from "Sigh No More". As with many other people, "I Will Wait" was my introduction to "Babel". "Holland Road", "Lover Of The Light", and "Lover's Eyes" are some of the songs that embody the heart of "Babel". I also like "Not Haste" and "For Those Below." "Babel" is great for those who enjoy "Sigh No More" and/or are open to listening to folk rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still in love with Mumford..., 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Let's be clear, I never really fell out of love with them but I had stopped playing Sigh No More almost continuously while I eagerly awaited Babel's release. So to start with I felt a little disappointed after so much expectation...but with repeated playing this is a real grower, and an excellent follow up album. The title track is an great opener, Marcus sounding as gravelly and intense as ever, I Will Wait is the stand out of the album, Lover of the Light another great track while Hopeless Wanderer is a cracker. Overall Babel has a more mature, produced sound, but that for me is not to its detriment. The version of 'Boxer' is fantastic, they really do it justice. The more I hear Babel the more I like it and surely that is the sign of a great album, when you have to give it time and get to know it slowly. It's sent me back to listen to Sigh No More all over again and to wish for more from one of my very favourite bands.
(Update) And now after lots more plays I can only say it's at the top of my list of all time favourites. Fantastic, just gets better and better. More please boys. And as soon as you can.

4.0 out of 5 stars still a work in progress, but much to like, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
One of my children gave me "Babel" to find out what I thought of this latest phenom -- and it's not bad. Their biggest asset so far, I think, is Marcus Mumford's attractively raspy voice, which maintains its character whether he's singing loudly or softly, and he delivers his words with total commitment. The lyrics themselves are a bit too self-consciously poetic, but they fail to resonate in the way that Dylan's or Simon's or Cohen's did in their culture. All that said, though, they aren't just a tissue of cliches. The band's sound is attractively airy, but they depend too much on loud strumming banjo effects. It's not clear that any of them are really skillful instrumentalists -- that might be being unfair, but if it is, somebody has to write the music to showcase that skill. There's a definite striving to give the songs an "anthemic" feel, and that might be militating against interesting playing. I think all the songs work pretty well -- "Babel" and "Lover of the Light" linger in my memory more than the others. I look forward to seeing how they develop.

Babel
Babel by Mumford & Sons (Audio CD - 2012)