Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2012
I'm guessing that most Mark Eitzel fans will buy this regardless of what they read about it, but never the less, here is my initial thoughts on the album.

Well, I cannot praise this album enough. If I had to do a comparison, I would say it sits somewhere between "60 Watt Silver Lining" and the last American Music Club release "The Golden Age".
It has a nice moody broody late night jazzy feel and Marks vocals sit perfectly in this setting. In fact, his singing sounds purposely laid back on many songs. It's breathier than usual without verging into crooner territory.

It's great to hear him working with musicians again. As much as I like a lot of the songs Mark recorded alone for "Candy Ass", "Klamath" and "Brannan Street", I've been waiting for another album like this where additional musicians get to add extra atmosphere to his songs.

All the arrangements on this album are understated and never seem to over-take or interfere with the songs.
I really hope he continues to work with these people on this album when it comes to future projects.
Vudi also guests on Guitar, which is always a great thing as far as I'm concerned. Everything this guy does with Mark seems to fit perfectly. He always seems to know what is needed, every time.

At just under 45 minutes it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Not that I could ever get bored of Mark, I just think that 45 minutes is the perfect length for any album. If I had to find fault, I might be tempted to complain that "All My Love" already appears on "The Golden Age", but the track has has a different treatment here and sits perfectly with the rest of the album.

If you're a fan of Mark, then just buy it. You will not be disappointed.
If you like laid back albums with great songs, then try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.
on 18 November 2012
If you like Mark Eitzel and American Music Club I'd recommend this album. It is one of Eitzel's strongest solo albums with a good production and some truly outstanding songs. As usual with Eitzel you get achingly sad songs along with the customary self-deprecating humour. "We All Have To Find Our Own Way Out' is an absolute stand-out track, one of his all time classics. The standard of the other tracks is generally very high. It's an album that I know I'll be listening to again and again in the years to come.
on 25 March 2013
Great words, masterfull impassioned vocals, delicate arrangements and some of his best songs - whilst there is nothing to match the impassioned howl of recent live performances this is certainly one of mark's most consistent albums, every track is a joy.
on 24 March 2013
It's not easy being an eitzel fan. We suffer as he suffers...we cope with an awful covers cd...or songs that just need more development before being released but we still need and adore him. Love you but your dead is sublime ...it feels like we may be on he level of 50 watt....but not quite. When it's good it's excellent but it just doesn't make it as a whole. I worry about the retread of the clown imagery again and again but I think as fans we are supposed to worry. Best for a while but not quite the depth of 50 watt or a.m.c.
on 23 January 2013
I was so pleased with this new Mark Eitzel record, have bought a copy for others too, so they can share my joy!