5.0 out of 5 stars Treat yourself to a new shave
I had forgotten how close the 8000 shaved till I replaced the foil and cutter. Mine had done about 300 shaves since I bought the original shaver and I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality of the shave after replacing the cutter and foil.
Published on 4 Oct. 2004 by Stephen Koch

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As The Original Foil
Published on 14 Feb. 2013 by Mark13

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat yourself to a new shave, 4 Oct. 2004
Stephen Koch (London) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but very expensive, 20 Dec. 2007
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The foil and cutter block in my Braun 8985 lasted just under 17 months (around 400 shaves) before the warning light on the shaver came on, telling me that I needed to change them. I didn't feel at the time that the quality of the shave was that much worse than when the shaver was new so I left it another few weeks before replacing both the foil and cutter. The difference when I did, however, was enormous. The shave was getting slightly worse every time the shaver was used although by such small amounts that it was unnoticeable, and renewing the cutting head improved the quality no end.

My advice would be to listen to your shaver and do as it says when it tells you that it wants a new foil and cutter - this is the perfect way to repay its untiring and uncomplaining service. Like most replacement parts for Braun products, it's a bit on the expensive side (hence the 4 stars), but there's no denying that it does its job very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ronseal (tm). Replacement Foil & Cutter. Is what it says., 20 Aug. 2008
If you've found your way to here then you already have the shaver most likely, and need one of these.

I got one of these for my 8595 shaver the manual for which recommends changing this assembly at least every 18 months. However, that is such a ballpark figure one really needs to decide for oneself. My growth is not particularly dark, fast or tough; so I usually shave every other day. The shaver itself started recommending a change-out after about 20 months or so (I guess it tries to count shaves rather than calender time!) but the shave seemed fine. After another month or so, I thought "hmmm, maybe it does....". Got one of these packs, fitted in 10 seconds, and BAMM! Like new.

Like so many people I had not noticed the deterioration until it was quite poor. Personally, I reckon that if you shave religiously every day, you might want to consider not waiting past a year. If you're like me, 14-16+ months. Yes, these packs aren't cheap and the cleaning solution (e.g. the Braun CCR3 pack) isn't free. But if you compare with the regular costs incurred running something like Gillette Fusion Power with it's bloody expensive blades, and the cost of a decent quality gel or foam.... things like the Braun are quite cost effective!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As The Original Foil, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Braun 51S Replacement Foil and Cutter Cassette Multi Silver BLS Combi Pack (Personal Care)
I've got the Braun Activator 8585 razor which has the strange looking foil (as currently shown on the Amazon web page at the time of writing although this is not actually the same design as the current foil being sold by Braun) that cuts in all directions and was the best electric razor I've ever used. I have a heavy beard growth with very thick/tough individual hairs that most razors struggle to cut but the combination of foil/cutters and powerful motor meant that this was best razor I've found for a dry shave. Unfortunately Braun took it on themsleves to change the replacement foil/cutter pack (51S) supposedly to a newer/"better" design but I can tell you now that it is a massive step backwards if you have a tough beard. It now drags and pulls at my beard and is nowhere near as good as the old design. I'm really annoyed with Braun making this change to the foil/cutter specification after customers have bought the razor, no doubt to cut costs. I won't be buying a Braun razor again but in the meantime I've found that the 30B foil/cutter pack, which has the original foil design of the 8585, seems to work and gives a much better shave than the new 51S. It's black rather than silver but that's not an issue for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as 51B, 6 Jan. 2013
This also fits models that says "Use parts 51B", only difference is the color (This one is silver, B is for black).

5.0 out of 5 stars Different foil pattern to my original foil but works well, 9 Dec. 2012
This foil for Braun Series 5 razors has a slighly different pattern to that supplied with my original razor which I have had for 18 months (May 2011). This foil has regular spaced open holes whereas the original looked more random and had smaller holes. This maybe a new or updated foil pattern but looks more like the foil patterns I have had for other braun razors in the past. The foil works well so no problem there. The cutter looks to be exactly the same as the original

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't improve the shave quality, 30 Oct. 2014
Never my favourite razor, I decided to give it a new lease of life with this replacement foil and cutter. Shouldn't have bothered. I still can't get a clean, smooth shave and the longer hair on my neck is ignored. I should have put the money towards a new razor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when they work but they don't last long enough., 15 April 2015
Always feel a little disappointed at the longevity, or lack thereof, of these foils and cutter blocks. The foils are usually done in as little as 3 months, the longest I have had out of one is 8 months and the intercept cutter has failed on the most recent one after just over 4 months and it now just rips the longer hairs out of your face. The 5 Series is a great razor but the almost constant replacement of cutter block and foils can be tiresome and is making me wonder if, when it comes to replacing this razor, I'll go with Braun again?

5.0 out of 5 stars hate having to pay cost of replacing cutters, 16 July 2014
hate having to pay cost of replacing cutters,last about a year. you can buy new 5 series razor on amazon for about 65 pd ,double in stores.did buy new 4 head panasonic ,which only have two small cutters,it was useless .so bought new cutter for my braun,tried to sell panasonic on ebay,used appx 10 times ,half price,no takers ,still in drawer somewhere, serves me right .braun are best

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 24 Dec. 2012
Replaces both the foil (typical weakness of the Brauns) and the worn down cutter cassette. Original spare parts guarantees 100% form fit compatibility and leaves you with a razor that's as good as new.