5.0 out of 5 stars A value solution to mobile broadband

3.0 out of 5 stars Good MIFI router but 2G Edge is disabled
Published 23 months ago by Joseba

5.0 out of 5 stars A value solution to mobile broadband, 13 Oct. 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unlocked Three Black Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G MiFi 21.1 Mbps HSPA+ MOBILE BROADBAND (Accessory)
I bought my girlfriend a Huawei E586 MiFi unit for work - it was so good that I decided that I'd like to have my own MiFi for use with my iPad (WiFi) version. I looked at this unit in locked form on the 3 Network and functionally there is very little difference between this and the more expensive E586. This E5331 MiFi is the "value model" in Huawei's range, and, in my opinion, its broadband performance is as good as the E586 which costs around £30 more. The main difference between the two units is that the E586 sports an OLED display which displays the amount of data you've used, and, therefore, you get plenty of warning when you need to buy another SIM card. However, you can easily navigate to a web page with the E5331 which gives you all the usage information you'll need, although, it isn't displayed on the unit itself. There are, however, LED indicators for battery power, broadband signal, wireless on and email on the unit.

Battery life is good lasting around 5 hours and a mains charger is supplied together with a USB lead which can recharge the unit from a PC, albeit, more slowly than from the mains charger. You can connect up to 5 wireless devices and connection is simple, you just enter the security code from the unit when prompted, and, that's it - you're connected. Of course with PAYG if you lose the unit your loss is limited to the amount of credit remaining on the card.

One thing that is certain is that it is cheaper to buy a new SIM card on the 3 Network at Amazon prices rather than to top up the expiring SIM card. The two main 3 Network options available are 1GB to be used within a month or a 3Gb card valid for 3 months. There is also a 12GB option valid for a year. I have found coverage to be very good but not perfect - I mainly use the device when travelling from the South Coast to London. If you are momentarily out of range as soon as reception picks up again your mail will be sent or your web page loaded. It's very convenient. Unless you are watching TV or videos even a 1GB data allowance goes a long way in terms of emails and surfing etc.

Overall, a very useful device, and, together with the very good prices for SIM cards on Amazon a good purchase. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good MIFI router but 2G Edge is disabled, 8 May 2013
Small and portable, it works out of the box with "Simyo Spain" SIM. Only drawback is that it comes with "3 Mobile" custom firmware, which has disabled 2G/Edge connection type, so the gadget only is useful if 3G/4G network is available (ok for city areas, but not everywhere in Spain). If you search "Huawei E5331 Network connection type locked" you can read some "coolsmartphone" forum with some interesting (but apparently unsuccessful) approaches to unlock all connection types (available in stock and other operators firmware).

Had I only know this before the purchase, I would have bought an unbranded model.

14 Feb 2014 Update ----
Solved 2G/Edge restriction updating firmware. Search for download-firmware-update-huawei-huawei-e586es-2-and-huawei-e5331s-2-wifi on unlock4modem dot in. It worked for me, but use at your own risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job., 6 Jan. 2013
MR R. (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this along with a 12Gb 3 sim card to add 3G facility to my girlfriends Kindle Fire HD. She switches it on pops it back in her bag and straight away she's surfing the web on her 30 minute tram journey to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 Mar. 2013
Purchased to replace existing mobile usb dongle so that I can use with more than one device when away from home. Everything was in the box that should be, including power supply and it worked without problems.

The supplier even sent an email with some user instructions for other networks and a list of codes for all countries.
Very please with supplier via Amazon and product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great offer regarding quality and price, 30 Nov. 2012
This product really meets the expectations to all that want a high speed 3G/4G WiFi router, unlocked to be used with multiple devices: tablet, laptop and mobile phones, and to be used with different telecom operators.
I travel a lot nationally and internationally and this device simplifies my work, when I need a safety internet connection in remote places, to connect all the devices I have.
It's simple to change the operator's SIM card and start working.
Regarding battery charge, it is also very user-friendly and you only need a usb to charge the device battery.
It really works as expected!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3G Mifi, 27 April 2013
This is a great 3G mobile wifi base station. It is about the size of a small phone and I found the battery was enough to get me through a day's usage disconnected. I bought it unlocked and popped in a 3 3G data SIM. I've found 3's coverage in the UK to be pretty good for my purposes and using the mifi is idiot proof - you simply press a button to fire it up. Tweaking the settings is also simple via a web interface.

The great advantages of this over most usb dongles are that multiple (up to 5) devices can use the wifi network at once and also that there is not any pfaffing about with drivers to get it going - it really is "plug and play". A cabled connection is also possible via the supplied micro-usb cable, which also serves as a charging cable. A plug is supplied too.

I haven't really tested signal strength since coverage in a single room was good enough for me when travelling, but it seemed solid with a laptop an iPad and a phone connected to it.

Also available in white :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use., 14 April 2013
Easy to use. Just press it on, and you have a secure mifi network in a few seconds. Great for connecting tablets and laptops.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice spoofing from Three, 26 Jun. 2013
I got this product couple of months ago and i was happy with it. It works fine when in 3g area but i went to outside the city where i really would have needed it then i realised the 2g firmware lock which have not mentioned any where. So dont buy this device from Three. Buy some other brand which have better firmware. This feels like scam because device would support all that i need but the Three have locked it down for some unknown reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defo recommend to all., 15 Feb. 2013
I had wanted something like this forever,well since I got my Kindle fire HD, I had heard of this unit from a couple of friends,but not being as computer savvy as them was quite unsure it would be as easy to set up as they professed. I ordered it on their recommendations vowing I would send it back quick smart if it took me any longer than 10mins to suss out and set up, IT TOOK ME LESS THAN 5MINS. I am so pleased !!!! Have connected my Blackberry Playbook and my mobile phone. When I'm at mum and dads ( no computers) my children, nephews and nieces can use it too. A very good product,that I would highly recommend to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of hardware, 4 Dec. 2012
I bought this last week on the strength of the first review and I'm delighted so far, quick delivery and it was simply put in the mobile broadband sim purchased via amazon and your off and ready to go. Signal has been reliable and battery life ok. Excellent to use when wifi unavailable and phone tether is problematic.
I hooked it up to my nexus 7 perfectly.