5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story

Published 4 months ago by LizE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly written, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
This is possibly the worst written book I have ever read. The plot was OK, but the execution was appalling. It read more like a school child's attempt at a story where the teacher had said use more adjectives, adverbs and description. The characters remained just names - no insight into their real characters and emotions. I certainly won't be purchasing any more books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I have been a Family Historian for many years, so was pleased to see someone writing novels about my favourite subject. However, although the research was well explained, I felt the story telling was very amateur. Short sentences and not very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story, 26 Nov 2013
Helen "Helen" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
This was an interesting storyline which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was written in a very simple manner with a lot of short sentences which is something I am not used to but is probably why I managed to read the book in one sitting of just under 3 hours. I think the characters could have been developed a bit further as we didnt really get to know any of them but on the whole it was a very good read, certainly good enough for me to buy the next book that this author has written

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poorly written, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I thought there were some very good plot ideas in this book but the writing style is very stilted, almost like report writing. Not very well edited some glaring mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant genealogy story ,, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I'm an amateur genealogist and I love reading books about family trees. This story was different in that it was a mystery too ! Won't give anything away but really enjoyed reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb geneological novel, 2 Jan 2014
Neil Spurgeon (England, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant characters, amazing perception, very gripping plot. This excellent first novel has everything going for it and I feel that further genealogical books from this author deserve to do extremely well indeed. Very highly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy bed time read, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Really easy to get into which makes it a pick up and put down read. Fully recommend ideal holiday book

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first book by John Nixon, 26 Feb 2013
E. Cole (Tetbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Very addictive read, my husband and I read it at the same time and enjoyed trying to put the pieces together. Looking forward to reading another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Novel, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this first novel by John Nixon. A great amount of detail is put in to the building of the characters as the story develops and the mystery opens up before the readers eyes.
Several times i found myself imagining what was to happen next and each time I was not dissappointed.

I look forward to the sequel

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Family Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of books and I rarely abandon a book so quickly. I'm not sure how the plot turned out because I couldn't bear to waste more of my life reading it after a couple of chapters. The writing style reminded me of articles in chat type magazines, only worse. Naive, bare bare bones writing. If I were still teaching 14 year olds who had produced this, I would reject this work and make them rewrite it and try and give a little depth to what they were attempting to portray.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›