5.0 out of 5 stars wow,!!!amazing and inspirational....
Published on 28 Jun 2007 by Ms. Ja Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Anorexia: A Stranger in the Family
This book deals with some of the 'hidden' issues that arise because of eating disorders. Many families are devasted by the effects of an eating disorder. For me (someone who has been battling an eating disorder for over a decade) it was good to be able to read about this without being made to feel even more guilty for everything I put my family through.
Published on 17 July 2010 by anon

5.0 out of 5 stars wow,!!!amazing and inspirational...., 28 Jun 2007
Ms. Ja Taylor "Jay.T" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is truely fantastic and Katie has shown this evil illness can be won, throughout her ups and downs she has shared with us her AMAZINGLY inspiring account in which has helped me greatly and gave life in recovery antoher chance, Thank you Katie, .... This book is a must read, its an honest account and heart walming true story to what life is like with an ED...

Katie, you deserve to be free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Katie does it again., 7 Dec 2006
Jonathan Lee (UK) - See all my reviews
This is Katies second book. She gives an honest and very open account of the horror that is anorexia. Read this to open your eyes to the demon that might lurk in your family. For professionals this book gives an inside account to what goes on insides someones head and how family sytems are destroyed. For the individual that has or is being affected by the 'Stranger in the Family' there is hope and light out there that can help to heal yourself and those around you. Powerful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 24 Mar 2007
I came upon this book when researching a play I'm writing about Anorexia. It has been truly inspirational and I was amazed at the maturity of the writing. Katie Metcalfe is definitely a name to watch out for in the future. The book was informative, educational, moving and entertaining and I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anorexia: A Stranger in the Family, 17 July 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Anorexia, 20 April 2010
Melissa D. Brown (Mount Pleasant,NSW,Australia) - See all my reviews
I was both disturbed,yet enthralled by this book.I hope Katie has continued to remain in relative recovery.I wish her well.

4.0 out of 5 stars So touching, 4 Oct 2009
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Eating Disorders is a subject that is close, close to my heart. I am always in huge awe of anyone who has the courage to fight this disease and then to go on and share this heart-stopping experience with someone else and Katie Metcalfe has done just that in her excellent memoir Anorexia.

As a addict, you discover a few realities pretty quickly - denial is huge and the other thing is that in order to survive and recover - you must give it away (or give back) to others so that you may stay in recovery. Metcalfe has written touchingly about both subjects in her memoir and as I was reading Anorexia, I could see the progression (albeit slow at times) that Katie was making in discovering her inner truths and in keeping herself honest and on the path of recovery.

Katie writes about her struggles with a touching hand and heart and does not shy away from sharing with us just harrowing and difficult her life was during her disease and yet, at the same time, she does not make useless excuses about how she got there or why she got there. Katie honestly opens up about "the voices" that she had to live with and how, at first, she let the voices "win" - but she soon discovers that there may another way - one that would permit her to be herself and to be at a happier place.

I could not read this book in only a few sittings as her entries are thought provoking and made me relive some of my own experiences - this book is to be read slowly - to be savored, analyzed and enjoyed.

Congratulations Katie! you are wonderful and my thoughts are always with you - to a fellow traveller as a friend of mine once called it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A stranger in the readership?, 27 Oct 2010
Ben (West Mids, UK) - See all my reviews
I was interested to read this book in particular because, while I have the 'my problem' viewpoint, I don't really know how people see it from outside my little wall of myself, and I'd really like to see what a family thought. It's a very innovative idea for a book.

First of all, I have no doubt in my mind that Katie's life, and her family's lives, were difficult. More than difficult, a struggle which I can't put into words in one little review. However, a few things annoyed me about this book.

It has that 'There! All wrapped up now! (:' vibe about it, which I find extremely irritating. It's as if Katie, with a few setbacks, suddenly jumped out of her hospital bed and had all these great things going for her, as if there was no time spent recovering at all. This was probably due to the writing style, also annoying; everything was so quick, with little description of anything. In every chapter post-recovery, she says 'the voice was still there', as if she needed to remind us that she had anorexia in the first place.

Finally, for someone who claims to be so OCD about her writing - why were there spelling mistakes?

4.0 out of 5 stars a wanted read, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Anorexia - A Stranger in the Family (Kindle Edition)
A recommended book from a colleague as it would give an isight into anorexia, useful read for my working life

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Oct 2014
fab

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Anorexia - A Stranger in the Family (Kindle Edition)
Interesting.