4.0 out of 5 stars Who'll survive the zom-poc?, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Oasis (Kindle Edition)
2013 - The planet has been fried by solar flares turning it into a desert. The surviving population has been affected by solar radiation, turning them into Zombies. Only a handful of people remain unaffected. A family of civilians, guided by a crack army unit who has seen more action than they can handle, must make their way to the safety of a UN base at the South Pole called New Atlantis.

But can they make it to this oasis alive or will they only reach it as the undead?

I know, I know, I said less than a month ago that I was going to take a break from zombie fiction but when it comes to the undead, it's like the Mafia - just when I thought I was out ... they pull me back in. I couldn't resist though when this novella popped into my inbox. As soon as I spotted the cover I knew I was going to read it. A zombie head partially obscured by desert sand with a bullet hole in the temple; I ask you, what's not to love?

We follow the action through the eyes of Maxine, a young women who dares to believe that the end of the world doesn't necessarily mean the end of the human race. Maybe she's right but perhaps not quite in the way she is expecting.

Oasis treads classic Romero-esque ground and has a suitably downbeat ending that I really enjoyed. I have to admit I do enjoy my zombie stories to be grimmer than grim and I'm glad to say this novella delivers on that score.

This story acts as the perfect introduction to the new indie publisher on the block, and I'll be keeping a close eye on their future releases. I've already had a look at their website and Joan De La Haye also recently had a serial killer novel, Requiem in E Sharp, published by Fox Spirit. I reckon I'll check that out soon as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, flee, they're after me!, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Oasis (Kindle Edition)
Tense, unnervingly stark, and told at a brisk pace; Oasis is the perfect remedy for surviving those slow, ploddingly obvious Zombie tales that proliferate.

Maxine and her family come out of their shelter after Doomsday, seeking to flee the horrors around them, and fall in with a group of soldiers heading towards the salvation of an installation at the South Pole. But the apocalypse has wrought many changes, and those hunting them, altered by the deadly unfiltered rays of the sun, are even worse than the destruction in their wake.

Lulled by the story of Maxine's steady awakening to her needs and desires as survival instincts come to the fore, you're suddenly hit with a ruthless twist that allows the author to portray both sides of the conflict through the eyes of both the fleeing and the altered. It all climaxes in a cracking ending that leaves you horrified and grinning (if it doesn't, you're probably not twisted enough to read Apocalyptic Zombie Fiction!)

One of the first releases from Indie Publisher, Fox Spirit; Oasis brings an exciting author to the hordes of readers hungry for a good tale. Look out for her first Fox Spirit release, Requiem in E Sharp.

4.0 out of 5 stars B-movie style zombie apocalypse, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Oasis (Paperback)
Sometimes all the clever and insightful books in the world are not enough. Some days the only thing that will prevent that itch at the back of my skull is a simple horror story. This probably goes back to my love of tacky B-movies as a teenager. This fits that mould exactly. A cheaply shot and easy to follow zombie apocalypse story. There are times where that style is exactly what I need. Last week was one of those times. I got to turn off my brain and sink in to a nice relaxing zombie blood bath.

I like fast moving zombies. Somehow they seem more rabid than the slow shuffling kind. Running away get a lot more difficult. Making a stand becomes almost the only option, and we know how that usually turns out. I enjoyed the realism reflected in the snippets of bunker life and although it would have spoiled the pacing of the story I could quite happily have read more about that part of the back story.

This story seems too short to me. I wanted more. A lot more. It was a fun story with plenty of bloodshed and a simplistic yet interesting storyline. If you are looking for a distraction from the serious stuff of life you could do a lot worse than buying this book.
If you enjoy this book I can highly recommend Requiem in E Sharp by the same author.

Oasis