5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood Never Had a Chance, 2 Sep 2005
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Season 4 of this classic show finds Ricky, Lucy, Fred, and Ethel traveling to Southern California so Ricky can star in a movie. This season has some of the funniest episodes of the show with movie star guest stars.
The first few episodes start out looking like the previous season with some antics in New York with "The Business Manager" and "Lucy Cries Wolf." But before the first disc is over, Ricky's been potentially offered a chance to star in "Don Juan." The rest of the season focuses on that storyline as they wait to hear, plan the trip, drive cross-country, and finally make it to Hollywood. Along the way, we get some truly classic moments as the three others try to crash Ethel's big solo show, Lucy hits William Holden with a pie, Lucy gets a part in a picture, Harpo Marx pops by for a visit, and Lucy gets trapped in Richard Widmark's house.
I had forgotten just how good some of these episodes are, even ones I knew I liked. The writing and acting were in peak form this season, and the parade of well-known guest stars certainly helped. To be honest, I'm young enough that some of these names I only know from the show, but that doesn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. And even when you can see the ending coming a mile away, it still delivers plenty of laughs before you get there.
This show continues to get the treatment it deserves on DVD. You couldn't ask for a better picture. The mono sound has been cleaned up as well. Each of the five discs contains six episodes along with behind the scenes trivia, mistakes, guest cast information, and five episodes of "My Favorite Husband." I was surprised to learn that the show gained a second sponsor during this time, and enjoyed seeing the ads for them.
This may be my favorite season of the show. Everything gels so well. If you only get one season, this is the season to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars I still love Lucy, 3 May 2006
L O'connor (richmond, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's amazing how fresh and funny this show still seems after more than fifty years. My two younger sons, age 8 and 5, watch it with me and are enchanted. Lucille Ball herself is hilarious, and Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley all give wonderful performances too. What a marvellous team they made.

One of the funniest episodes in the series is the one where they are en route to California and stop in Ethel's home town, where they give a show. Relegated to the status of Ethel's backup, the other three take a spectacularly funny revenge which had my second son rolling on the floor helpless with laughter. I've watched this episode many times, and it still makes me laugh. And the episode in the Brown Derby, where Lucy makes eye-contact with William Holden is another classic. and let us not forget the sublime episode where she and Harpo Marx re-create the mirror scene from 'Duck Soup'.

There was never been another show made as enchanting, hilarious and perfect as this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical I love Lucy, 10 April 2014
This review is from: I Love Lucy: The Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I had to buy the whole series in order to get one episode which I enjoyed it was quite funny. perhaps I will watch the rest one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 16 Aug 2013
Great fun watching the antics of Lucile Ball. Just as funny now as when it was first recorded. The sound quality was very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct 2014