Let the Best Man Win: Fame Recordings 2
Price:£11.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 September 2012
I reviewed volume 1 of this series and concluded that if it was typical of what was coming then only fanatics need apply for future volumes of this series. Well, I suppose I've gotta come clean and state that I probably qualify as a fanatic but I hope not so much so that I can't pass objective judgement on Volume 2.......

Well on listening to listening to volume 2 a couple of times I haven't changed my mind on my conclusion regarding volume 1 in that this is more of the same, perhaps even less so. To start with there are four complete duds so generic that even a fan of southern soul like myself thinks, "meh!" and reaches for the skip button [one of these tracks, "I'm Living Good" is covered much more powerfully by The Ovations and should be sought out in that version since this one is just terrible with poor singing and even the playing not up to scratch]. The remaining tracks are also mostly generic but with just a bit more to then to make them listenable but a second after the CD has ended I guarantee you'll probably only remember about three or four of them, so like volume 1 it comes down to how much you like the sound of the FAME session players and studio. There are more mid-tempo offerings on this CD which can work against it since most of them are kinda of samey with few real hooks but fortunately there are no 12-bar blues on this volume unlike volume 1 which is a definite plus.

Stand out tracks? Well the ballads are mostly pretty strong, especially "Hold That Feeling" & "I Bit Off More Than I Can Chew" but that might be because there are relatively few of them? The bluesy "Hit & Run" also is a good'un with some stinging guitar and ragged backing vocals that actually enhance the song. The funky "Love Came Knocking At Your Door" is also something of a keeper but unfortunately it does have somewhat muffled sound quality sounding noticably inferior soundwise to the other tracks on the CD; a real shame. Of the remainder the funkier ones sound the best but don't really have the hooks to really hit home alas, sounding more like album filler tracks rather than anything that might potentially be considered as worthy of being released as a single.

Therefore in conclusion another so-so KENT compilation mining the FAME back catalogue, I maintain that if they'd condensed the three proposed volumes to one then they'd have produced an absolutely killer set of songs/performances. As it is it does sound a bit bit thin and will only really appeal to fanatics, which (regrettably) includes me it seems.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again