I love "I Love Lucy." Whenever I find it on TV, I watch and find myself laughing no matter how many times I've seen the episode. Naturally, it was one of the first shows I knew I wanted on DVD. I wished I'd waited for this set, however.
When season one was first released, it was huge and expensive. Knowing how much I wanted the show, I ignored the price and bought it. Now, over a year later, we get a set more in line with the other three released to date. Now there are only seven discs, and it's much thinner. This takes up a fraction of what the original did on my shelf. Yet all the extras and quality are still there. Believe me, I checked.
So what do you get? You get the 35 official season 1 episodes plus the "lost pilot" that was found and released several years ago. The episodes have been restored and they haven't looked this good in years. Picture is original full frame black and white and sound is original mono. While there is occasional dust and such in the picture, for something 50 years old, this is pretty amazing. Bonus features include behind the scenes trivia and photos, guest cast information, restored footage (some of which is a hoot), the original animated opening, and a total of thirteen episodes of Lucy's radio show "My Favorite Husband" that inspired certain episodes.
For me, I find some of the episodes near the start of season 1 to be rather slow and not as funny. This is a common complaint of mine with most TV shows. The writers and actors need time to find the characters before things really take off. Still, there are some early gems like "The Diet" and "The Fur Coat." The second half more then makes up for the first with many classic moments and hilarious episodes like "The Ballet," "Breaking the Lease," "The Gossip," "Pioneer Women," "The Freezer," and "Lucy's Schedule." I can watch these episodes over and over again and laugh myself silly every time.
Of course, this doesn't mention the single most famous episode of season 1 - "Lucy Does a TV Commercial." If this title doesn't ring a bell, I have just one word for you. Vitameatavegamin.
This is the set that should have been released originally. If you waited, hoping that Paramount would see the light, your patience has been rewarded big time.
on 10 May 2004
This is simply the best. It blows most other "television shows on DVD" sets out of the water. Anyone would probally really like this DVD set, but if you are an avid "I Love Lucy" fan, then this is the ultimate collector's item. Every episode from the first season are here (a whopping 35 episodes plus a rare treat- the lost pilot that was only shown once, back in 1990). A lot of reviewers on Amazon's US site are complaining that there are too many discs (4 episodes + extras on each disc), but I have to disagree with them. It doesn't matter how many discs, just how much content (the more, the merrier). Plus, perhaps, that gives the distributor(s) of the set an excuse for to add a good number of bonus features (the more discs, the more bonus features, the better). And there are a good number of bonus features. There is numerous special footage not seen since the show first aired. There are flubs. Back then when the show was filmed, there were rarely any retakes. Any mistakes (bloopers) were left in. Most people wouldn't really notice. Several "bloopers" from the first season are "pointed out". It is really neat to see mistakes that have gone unnoticed until having them pointed out. My personal favorite is from "Lucy Does a Television Commercial". There is a shot in the episode in which Lucy is not in, but if you look really close you may catch a glimpse of her. The flub section will enhance the picture and point her out. You can then see her even better using the zoom feature on your DVD player. There are several episodes of Lucy's radio show "My Favorite Husband" that inspired several episodes of "I Love Lucy". There are 2 lengthy audio exerpts from a "book-on-tape", the book being Jess Oppenheimer's (the creater of "I Love Lucy") book about Lucy. In one excerpt video footage from "The Freezer" and "Lucy Does a Television Commericial" are inserted. In both excerpts audio footage from "My Favorite Husband" are inserted. There are several production notes, guest star information, and other wonderful "surprises" in store. The cases for each disc are really nice. It is well worth the money. For true die-hard fans, this is pure "I Love Lucy" heaven. And continue saving up because season two will be coming soon. It will be released on five discs (31 or so episodes) meaning more episodes per disc. Hopefully, there will be as many, if not more, extras as there are on season one. Thank you for your time. Lucy RULES!
I love "I Love Lucy." Whenever I find it on TV, I watch and find myself laughing. Naturally, it was one of the first shows I knew I wanted on DVD. This set has good and bad points. In reality, I'd probably give it 4.5 if I could. But since I can't, I rounded up.
The biggest drawback is the price. It's expensive! Even though I've found it cheaper other places, it still costs a lot of money. Of course, you do get 9 DVD for the price. And if you bought the discs as they came out, you have no reason to get this set since you already have all the material.
On the plus side, you get the 35 official season 1 episodes plus the "lost pilot" that was found and released several years ago. The episodes have been restored and I doubt they looked this good when they first aired. Picture is original full frame black and white and sound is original mono. Bonus features include behind the scenes trivia and photos, guest cast information, restored footage (some of which is a hoot), the original animated opening, and at least one episode per disc of Lucy's radio show "My Favorite Husband" that inspired certain episodes.
Is this a perfect set? No, and its flaws are a little more obvious then most. The good news is that future seasons of this classic show will be released in cheaper to buy full season sets. In the end, if you love Lucy, you will be glad you spent the money to get this set.
on 17 May 2014
This is a must have for any Lucy fans, 6 Disc Set,15 hrs 8 minutes of total comedy from the original untelevised pilot (until the 1990s) 35 uncut Season One episodes presented in two ways including on the original televised versions all the animated openings and closings complete with all the original commercials. This is also REGION FREE Blu Ray so order from the UK, it WILL PLAY on your Blu Ray machine. Hours of extras, so funny and amazing picture and audio quality
on 19 December 2011
What can i say...I Love Lucy! i have my 11 yo daughter working her way thru season 1 and she just loves it. I grew up watching it in syndication in the US, but it doesn't air over here. Rewatching for the first time in years, and the humour really stands the test of time. If you don't like this show, see your doctor...you've had a sense of humour bypass.
on 10 February 2012
I was surprised to see the series started in 1951. Yet the picture quality is good. Televison shows were still pretty much "plays" at this point, and Lucy is no exception. (Occasionally you even hear someone in the audience cough)Yet the writing is quite good and Lucy & Desi are great together. It's a pleasure to see how it all began, and worth every cent. Wonder what season "Little Ricky" is born??
on 30 July 2014
Unfortunately this is the USA version which cannot be played on the UK system
on 25 May 2016
Somewhat dated and very loud but enjoyable nonetheless and a lot of laughs
on 12 January 2015
Indisputable classic. Gives a proper massage to your laugh muscles!
on 28 November 2015
Very funny and quality of transfer to DVD