5.0 out of 5 stars BBC at its best!
This is a wonderful dramatisation of Ford Maddox Ford's novel Parade's End, following the life of Christopher Teijen's, an Edwardian gentleman, through the early years of the 20th Century until the end of the First World War. The production is lavish and performances by Benedict Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall, and other noteable British actors are sublime. Not to be missed,...
Published 21 months ago by Thoughtful

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching
Well acted with good cast sad with a good ending. Would recommend it. Shows the stupidity of war and how people keep going regardless
Published 2 months ago by JOAN STANHOPE

‹ Previous | 116 17 1822 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Janet not long enough for me., 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
Watched it on television first then got the dvd,only grumble Janet McTeer not in it long enough,else a good drama.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
I was so ready to love this, so the disappointment is that much deeper. I'm not sure if it was a poor adaptation, bad casting or just the really annoying wife's character, but it all turned out to be almost too much effort to bother watching to the end. As an enormous fan of Cumberbatch, I persevered, but for little reward.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
Well-acted but very tedious. Benedict Cummerbach's character is unbelievably - and unlikeably - weak, giving way to the demands of his ex-wife as a matter of honour - and dishonouring himself in the process. Comparisons will be inevitably made to Downton Abbey - the latter is unquestionably stronger and better: Downton has a story to tell - this is just intellectual masturbation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug 2014
OK.

2.0 out of 5 stars not convincing, 9 Aug 2013
C. E. Bowyer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
I found the basic premise - that the hero was lured into an unsatisfactory marriage by an improbable encounter in a railway carriage - unconvincing. Which somewhat destroyed the rest of the plot for me. He is seen as holding to high moral principles because of keeping faith with this entirely non-moral event in said railway carriage. I'm afraid I also found it hard to follow the tangle of family and social relationships around him. And the predictable end took an unconscionably long time to arrive !
I came to it with regrettably high expectations - someone told me it was almost as good as Glastonbury Romance - which is obviously impossible !

2.0 out of 5 stars Parade's End, thanks heavens!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
I did not like this at all. I admire Benedict Cumberbatch and wonder why he does duds like this. The story was weak, writing and direction poor. I seem to be about the only one who did not like this movie according to the reviews I read. I would not recommend it to a friend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 19 Nov 2013
SUE (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
My husband and I found this tedious and didn't even finish wAtching the series. Also found the acting wooden. Sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars A wasted opportunity, 9 Jan 2013
Joyeuse (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
It is frankly impossible to compress three very densely written novels into 3 television parts, and despite Parade's End consisting of 4 novels this adaptation is only of the first 3. Tom Stoppard has made a reasonable fist of this attempt but should have known better than to try. Given the superb production values poured into this series it would have been worthwhile to give it a fuller treatment - 6 episodes perhaps?

It did however send me back to reread the novel sequence again and for that I am grateful - it is so much finer than I remembered and I can only think that I was just too young and callow three or four decades ago to appreciate then what a great achievement it is. Ford's ability to write stream of consciousness narration is streets ahead of Virginia Woolf. If you don't know the books and enjoyed the TV adaptation do read them as the best aspect of the filmed version is that it did manage to capture some of the atmosphere of the times and the essence of the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 8 Dec 2012
Holly L. Van Over (Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
This was charming, with unexpected humor, although never ridiculous. Everyone in it was lovely, and did a wonderful job. Very glad I purchased this!

2.0 out of 5 stars good actors, apart from that...., 28 Sep 2012
Chris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
Let me start with the good aspects. The actors are always worth watching, especially Cumberpatch. Superb actor. The storyline failed to ignite for me, and I found the whole series excessively dull. I found that I didn't really care for the characters, and could have stopped watching half way through without feeling I'd missed out. Spending scene after scene about whether the main character was going to have/had a mistress. Roger Allam, an actor I have seen in many productions and enjoyed, was rather too close to Melchett in Blackadder goes forth.

The whole thing seemed to be trying to be clever and deep, but for me it failed. I'm sorry, as I would usually enjoy this kind of drama. If Cumberpatch has time on his hands, then much more Sherlock would be preferable to me, than this.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1822 | Next ›

Parade's End [DVD]
Parade's End [DVD] by Susanna White (DVD - 2012)
5.00