5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, easy install only one slight issue
I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed this product (Kaspersky was annoying me with its system slow down and constantly blocking log-in sites and loosing my passwords (which were also password protected & secured in Firefox)

Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by CjW

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could be
Unfortunately, inconsistency with different operating systems, annoying incomprehensible messages and identifiers plus lack of technical support once the standard questions have been asked and responses given, makes this product a disappointment.

Published on 1 Jan. 2013 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, easy install only one slight issue, 29 Jan. 2013
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

In recent major virus lab tests (Which! for one)- this program came out #1 by a wide margin with higher viral detection and root kit removal than any other program - I was glad to try it out.

In use its pretty unobtrusive, doesn't slow the system, ask silly questions every 10 minutes (which fox noobies) and was very easy to install - it even had a short registration code and in BIG letters (Kaspersky needed a magnifier! AVG is 2 stage e-mail process and a real pain in the ar*e)

One weird issue - The small black life ring on the screen indicates the status - no other has this.
But there are little numbers in red (on black) indicating messages.

Well it seems the hourly updates are failing about every 3 for one successful update.
It's hourly - I don't need to be told that.
Not only but also - you can't remove them - the 'delete' message button is greyed out.

A-ha - I realised. It's admin only.

Only fools and horses run their primary internet account with full admin privileges (you knew that didn't you?)
Rt click and choose 'Run as Administrator' then you can select the red messages and remove them.

HUZZAH

I've asked Support days ago - they sent me a data gathering tool, that took forever to run - seriously nearly 45 mins and then the log file was not visible to send back to support.

HA

It's been left on the admin desktop.
Think you can fool me?
No - But it would fool noobies.

I'm still waiting for Support to tell me that solution (its a sort of test)
and the reason for the constant failed Updates and annoying red warnings - -no other A/V does that.

UPDATE: Support just gave me idiot level non-related suggestions, I suggested they haven't got a clu and gave them the solution.
They agreed - surprisingly - I suspect the real techs don't come out into daylight that often, so leave these fools on the support desk to make the tea.

Should you buy it over Kaspersky, Norton, AVG and even F-secure?

Most Probably!

4.0 out of 5 stars I trust it but not as nice as before, 7 Oct. 2012
C. Wesson "trying to help" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using BitDefender for quite a few years now and the price on the web is always better than they offer you direct.
I am a big fan of the software. It doesn't slow down your machine like the major competitors yet it seems just as secure in what it finds and quarantines.

My only gripe is that the settings on the user interface are no where near as easy to use as on the 2011 and 2012 versions and setting up child accounts with managed settings is just plain confusing.

However, all that said, I still reckon its the best antivirus software out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitdefender defends ok, 29 Sept. 2012
gefb (Runcorn, Cheshire.) - See all my reviews
Have tried many different security software products, all of which failed to impress me for one reason or another but Bitdefender has finally found a friend in me, I leave it set on auto pilot and it beavers away doing it's work, the widget on the desktop lets you see what it's doing, it scans all hardware and software that you connect and tells you if a Windows update is required and installs it as well, installation went smoothly on my three Windows 7 computers, I recommend this product without reservation.
Update March 1st 2014, since buying a new computer on Windows 8.1 Bitdefender has decided it needs to do a full scan every day, this impacts enormously on resources to the extent that I have to wait 90 minutes for the scan to finish because it slows my computer down so much that I can't do anything, I have now uninstalled it and have a free one month trial of ESET, which up to now I am very happy with. My other two computers on Windows 7 are still on Bitdefender with no real problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-invasive Anti-virus, 12 Nov. 2012
Selected latest BitDefender on the basis of reviews on [...] replace an installation of Webroot (preferring to switch to whomever is considered best at the time the subscription expires). So far I 've not been disappointed. It sits quietly in the background and does its thing. Not seeing any false positives and it doesn't appear to be interfering with any of my apps.

The only slight problem I had was with its Safepay application which I had selected to use to access my bank account website. It seemed to conflict with that banks own security measures so I ended up disabling it for that site.

Other than that, no problems to report.

4.0 out of 5 stars Protects well, Great press, couple of installation mysteries, 2 Jan. 2013
not_a_real_folkie "not_a_real_folkie" (Farnham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used several antivirus/security programs over the years - Sophos, McAfee, Norton, AVG (paid-for and free versions) and now my first installation of this product. In the box you get a DVD and a licence key. Installation starts when you insert the DVD, although an active network connection is required to download the latest updates. If you're a bit jumpy about being connected to the internet while you're "between antivirus programs", you can set up Bitdefender offline and then go online to get the updates once the program is running.

In the end it all went relatively smoothly, and the virus protection has worked so far... there were just a couple of odd things during installation (as there were with McAfee and AVG installs, I recall). The installer invites you to choose a username and password for your online "My Bitdefender" account - and immediately fired up my web browser with... a completely blank page. Just a pleasant pastel blue. I rebooted the computer and got a visible version of the Bitdefender website on the 2nd attempt. It then told me that my account needed to be activated and that an activation link was being sent to my e-mail address... but nothing turned up, and the website appeared to operate as normal. Perhaps that's to accommodate download-only installs, but it left an 'uncompleted' feeling. Finally, on the grumble list, Windows (7) kept flagging up that "Anti-spyware is out of date" - clicking on this notification started a Bitdefender executable that reported nothing and didn't tell me whether it was running or had finished. The Windows alert didn't go away, so I tried another reboot, and this time it had disappeared.

When the main antivirus software is running, it displays its status via a "widget" in the bottom corner of the screen - thankfully hidden behind any applications that you run. This has a couple of "activity meters" reassuring you that good things are being done on your behalf in the background, and it shows "events"; a box that has stayed stubbornly at zero since installing the software. You can turn off or disable the widget permanently if it becomes a pain.

The box that this came is in bristling with awards that Bitdefender have won during the past 12 months, so I have a warm feeling that this software means business. I will update this review if anything untoward happens.

*** Feb 2013 update *** Just a couple of little niggles and one very good thing. Niggle #1 is "laptop mode" - which the software switches into when you unplug a laptop from the mains. In "laptop mode" it doesn't scan your hard drive and doesn't download updates - but then flags up an error "failed to download updates". D'oh!. Niggle #2 is related - when you go into the glitch resolution centre to get the updates, it quite often says "failed" (which is quite alarming) but then changes that to "solved" about 5 - 10mins later. Most odd. You can get around most of these problems by logging in as Administrator and disabling "laptop mode".

The 'very good thing' is that the resource footprint of this software is admirably small - in terms of memory and CPU loading. It hums away in the background so unobtrusively that I'm happy to forgive the odd "laptop mode" oddity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 17 Mar. 2013
C M Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried and removed many different software products for the amazon vine programme. Please note the last phrase, removed, as many programs which have been tested were either useless, did not do what they were supposed to do, too complicated to be of any use or slowed the computer down so much it became inoperable. I have had AVG products in the past and have had mixed results using them. In the past I tested AVG on notebooks and have found them too RAM intensive to be used on the simple 1GB to 2GB computers. This product has been tested on a Dell XPS Ultrabook, 4GB Ram and 128 SSD.

I have to say this product has worked, done its job without any slowing of the computer. I set it to automatically scan the computer and when it does its job there is virtually no drop or slow down in speed. I am impressed with the protection it gives and the minimal disruption to speed it causes.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitdefender, 10 Feb. 2013
Excellent product at a very good price. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for good anti-virus protection. Also, you can instal it on 3 devices.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could be, 1 Jan. 2013

Be aware, if you have a problem, you will be bounced around by different support personnel whom all ask the same questions and ask for the same information. They appear not able to take in the history and the time between responses can be more than ten days. Finally, if they cannot provide an answer to your problem they stop communicating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product,Lots of features,, 14 Sept. 2012
J. W. Wright "JEFF" (UK) - See all my reviews
Bitdefender runs allot quicker than my old Kaspersky, Also found 2 Threats on my PC, Also excellent value saved me £30

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend this product., 25 Sept. 2013
Since installing Bitdefender there has been nothing but problems.
Start up and shut down times have increased.
Webpages hang and take a long time to load or do not load at all.
Videos take longer to load or do not load at all. Especially on youtube.
Windows action centre sometimes reports I have no virus protection or Firewall installed.
Updates take 10 minutes to download and install hogging the system in the process.
The most alarming thing is recently Bitdefender stops responding and leaves me with no virus or firewall protection whatsoever. As you know having a laptop or PC with no protection is the worst thing you can do.
I have contacted their support regarding these issues who were a bit slow to respond.
They have told me to uninstall other programs I have running, send them logs and repair Bitdefender. All the problems are still there after carrying out their instructions.
Security products are meant to be installed and then left running in the background without you having to worry about them. This has been the case with all the other security products i have had but sadly not with Bitdefender.
I am now going to uninstall Bitdefender and install a different security package and try to get a refund for this product as being left with absolutely no protection when Bitdefender decides it is going to stop working is unacceptable to me.
Running Windows 7 with 8gb RAM. 1gb Nvidia graphics card. Download speed of 11mbps.

BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC)
BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC) by Bit Defender (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)