4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and versatile tablet

Published 15 months ago by D C Edge

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and versatile tablet, 26 Oct 2012
M. Pinch (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Transformer TF700 10.1-inch Tablet with Keyboard Dock (Gold) (nVIDIA Tegra 3 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Front Webcam, Rear Webcam, Android 4.0 ICS) (Personal Computers)
I wanted a lightweight netbook/tablet that i could take when travelling, was lightweight, which I could use as an e-reader as well as able to write documents on that I could send as e-mail attachments and use to view and then transfer photos from my camera to memory sticks as i tend to take a lot of photos and film when away. I had tried the Prime, but returned it because its wi-fi connectivity was very poor and it was important for me that I would be able to connect with any possible source anywhere. I did not want the newer cheaper transformer as I also needed to be able to use it in daylight and the TF700 promised a screen that could be read in daylight.

I have given this 4 rather than 5 stars for 2 reasons. The first is that I am a bit disappointed that the screen is not as easy to read in daylight as hoped.It has a very glossy and reflective screen which is readable, but not very comfortable. The other reason is that it has a programme called Polaris which is meant to be compatible with Word. Instead of sending postcards I like to write about my experiences and send them as an attachment to friends. It did work quite well except that it seems to have no spell-check and it lost its formatting in the process and words were split between lines making it difficult to read. There may be a solution to that and I would be grateful if anyone can tell me what it is or suggest another programme I could use.

Apart from those two gripes, i think it is an amazingly versatile tablet. I like the keyboard, which is comfortable to use and has a USB port unlike other tablets. I love the fact that I can carry it around without the keyboard and it is then as light and flexible as the best of other tablets on the market. So over-all very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinity and beyond, 5 Oct 2012
I was lucky to get one of these tablets soon after they came out. I'm currently typing this review on the docking keyboard! Basically if you don't want to join the Apple bandwagon then this device is for you.

It is a very attractive device in the gold colour and appears to be very robust. The tablet and keyboard dock mechanism is simple and sturdy.

I've already put a 16GB microSD card in it to store the odd film or two but I've hardly dented the internal storage yet. This still leaves the SD slot untouched. The USB port in the keyboard allows me to access portable hard drives without any problem (these are not powered seperately either).

Last night, the Infinity updraded to Jellybean and warned me about the lack of flash support. However, the BBC have already released a media player that doesn't use flash and seemlessly links to the iPlayer app. With time I'm sure the resolution from this service will take advantage of the Inifinity's excellent screen. The Youtube app is excellent also. Another app is TV Catchup which allows you to watch live Freeview TV....so who needs flash?

My bluetooth headphones paired easily too.

I'm finding out more about this device and apps and my opinion of it is only growing more positive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let down by poor E-Mail capacity., 17 Dec 2012
Buying the TF700 was not taken lightly - after all it's not cheap at almost £600. But, like many punters, I reviewed and researched the product as best I could and decided that this tablet ticked most of the boxes for my personal needs. There comes a time when reading and reviewing can have a negative affect and I was approaching that point. In the end I decided to take the plunge.
Am I sorry or do I have any regrets? In a word, No.
But, owning a TF700 has not been without incident since I'm currently on my 2nd TF700. My first tablet would occasionally fail to boot up leaving me with a blank white screen, and this after owning it for a day or two. I must say that Amazon were faultless in this respect and exchanged it within two days without any fuss, hassle or problems. Thank you Amazon.
I've now had this tablet for about 6 weeks and whilst I enjoy using it I'm still learning and finding my way around the system. After a week or so of using the tablet the system updated itself overnight to the Jelly Bean operating system from ICS.
Asus have put together a robust unit; it feels solid, sturdy and well made. The screen is excellent - up there with the Ipad - it's bright, clear and the colours vivid. I like the way the brightness alters to suit the light conditions. The quad core processor is rapid and handles the tasks I throw at it with ease. Flicking through the pages is effortless. The keyboard dock is a bonus - I like it. Not only does it transform your tablet into a netbook but it also doubles (just about) your battery life, extending it to around 15 / 16 hrs. The keyboard also houses a slot for a SD card and a mini SD card slot can be found on the tablet itself. Unfortunately, there is no USB port.
My main gripe with the tablet and I think this may be generic with most tablets is its E-Mail capacity. I use Outlook 2007 on my PC and I'm finding it nigh on impossible to transfer contacts to the tablet. I'll go as far as to say that simply adding contacts is a nightmare. Android really needs to get a grip on this alarming flaw in an otherwise excellent system. Hopefully, some firmware update may rectify this!! By the way, sending a message to multiple contacts is a problem - be warned if you intend using your tablet for serious E-Mail usage? For this reason alone the tablet will not be a substitute for your PC or Laptop. And, this is why I'm giving 4 stars and not 5.
But, overall it's an impressive piece of kit, fast and responsive and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others so long as you realise its limitations regards E-Mails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet on the market, 1 April 2013
In my opinion, it is the best and most complete tablet on the market, both regarding hardware and software. Furthermore, the included keyboard sets this tablet aside from the rest (it works very well). I had an Ipad 3 (I still have the Ipad 1) and sold it because of the important limitations it has regarding connectivity and file management (and also because of the simple but limited OS it has). By the way, I switched from iOS to Android and found ALL the equivalent apps I was using, in Google Play, and some others that were not available in iOS (so, no problem with apps -actually, the same app has usually more options in Android than in iOS).

The ASUS tablet has a full size USB port on the keyboard which allows you to connect practically any USB device (including 2.5" hard drives, without the need of external power, pen drives, mouse, cameras, etc.). You also have an SD card reader and a full size HDMI port. You can plug in a pen drive and copy any files you want to any folder in the tablet (to internal or external memory). Furthermore, you can OPEN practically ANY file (audio, video, photograph, office documents, etc.) without size limitations (I can open my 24 MB RAW files and view them!) and play my HD AVHD video files from my Panasonic Video camera directly form the SD card.

Battery life is very long, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity (*) works fine, and also the GPS works perfectly. Android OS is much more sofisticated than iOS so you can do many more things (starting with file management, real multi-tasking, and a back button!).

All of these things I have mentioned I couldn't do with the Ipad 3 (which is totally unacceptable for a product of this price level!) which is supposed to be the direct competitor to the ASUS tablet.

So if you are in doubt wether to buy an Ipad 3 or the ASUS Transformer Infinity, I would highly reccommend the latter!

(*) This week-end I stayed at a Hotel with wi-fi: my ASUS tablet connected right away to it (and my Galaxy Note II) ; my friend's Ipad (and iPhone) weren't able to connect: they got an error message "unable to connect"...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Tablet So Far, 31 Oct 2012
After waiting for months and reading reviews online, I ordered the the TF700. I was extremely worried about purchasing a product for such a large amount so early on (received mine in September).

Most people who gave 5 stars have covered the most of the points. To make it simple I will list the pros and cons.

Pros
+ Looks like a quality product - does not have a cheap feel like TF300 or other tablets on the market.
+ Extremely thin and portable (tablet only)and easy to hold for reading.
+ Update on Jelly Bean: easy to install and it involves no technology knowledge but I don't think it makes a huge difference on the performance. But there is another update due soon, I believe Android 4.1.2/4.2.
+ No problems with connection such as WI-FI like the Asus Prime.
+ Keyboard has all the ports required
+ Tablet easily attaches to the keyboard and does not feel like you are going to damage it.
+ Movies look wonderful (download VLC Player on Google Play Store to watch movies in all formats)
+ ASUS Webstorage pre-installed which gives you 8GB free cloud space. You can set this up on your PC and just drag and drop files into the folder and it will appear on your tablet.
+ Kindle app looks great! (Important for those wanting to e-read)
+ Has a IPS+ Outdoor mode which reduces glare.
+ Amazing battery life with the added bonus on the keyboard passing charge to the tablet.
+ Keyboard is easy to type on.

Cons
+ Slight lag in the software responding to various tasks (maybe ASUS/Google should bring out some updates to fix this)
+ Don't expect to carry the keyboard around as it can get a bit heavy.
+ Not great range of covers available and the official ones are crap.
+ Lack of USB on the tablet can be annoying (need to fork out money for the adapter)
+ Notice that at times a blank line appears and runs across the screen (I don't know if this is bleeding) This happens very rarely and does not stay fixed.

If you are thinking of an Apple product or Android tablet (this one) you really cannot compare. The operating system are so different. My major issue with the iPad is that putting a movie is hell. You have to convert it to apple's format (which takes hours) and then transfer it using itunes.

If you are looking for an android then this is the BEST tablet. It has the overall package.

* Great Screen, Ports (usb and SD slots), Quality finish, Keyboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Service, 17 July 2013
Loved the device and flexibility of the keyboard. Extra battery power useful when away. Keyboard docking system started failing to lock the tablet in place after 7 months. Returned to Asus for warranty work but they refused to repair claiming user damage. Absolutely not the case. Tried to hold me to ransom for 157 euro, luckily Amazon are a better company and had it back no problem

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 8 Feb 2013
Gorgeous screen. I find I don't use the dock as much as I expected but I still like having it. Upgraded version of Android arrived automatically as soon as I connected. It does need a case I think as the shiny metal makes it slippery to hold.

2.0 out of 5 stars If I'd known then what I know now..., 16 Feb 2014
Kasey Coff (Warrington, England) - See all my reviews
...I would not have bought this.

The problem isn't the Transformer: the whole concept of undocking / redocking the screen to the keyboard is brilliant. Having the potential to be a (mini) laptop... a tablet... a camera... everything your phone does (except make calls) but on a larger screen - and most things your average notebook does.

And I can't get on with it at all.

It's not Windows op-sys, and I'm not very techie. I didn't realize when I bought it that being non-Windows would pose an unsurmountable obstacle for me, but alas, it does.

I read not long ago that MicroSoft has entered into a partnership with Asus and that Asus are now producing what's essentially a Transformer with Windows. Maybe I'll go down that road. Someday. But in the meantime, I am not a happy Asus bunny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid ASUS products expensive waste of money., 17 April 2014
Bought tf700t with docking keyboard. it broke twice already. apart from screen quality which is excelent anything elese is just crap. Slow, laggy, often is crashing after initial coulpe updates no updates anymore.
for the same money could buy ipad or two samsungs.
keep away from ASUS it is not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but good., 7 Jan 2013
I originally bought an Asus Transformer Prime (TF201).The screen cracked within a week and was returned after a very poor response from Asus customer service. It was replaced with another TF201. After a short time with the TF201 I realised that it is not fit for purpose. The radio subsystems (Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS) are seriously compromised by the all metal case. GPS in particular was very poor. Asus distributed a GPS 'dongle' which 'improved' the GPS performance from non-existent to very poor. After a couple of firmware updates, I realised that the TF201 wasn't going to get any better and I returned it and took a gamble by ordering the TF700 which looks almost identical but costs more!
I'm pleased to say that the gamble was worthwhile. The TF700 is a great improvement over the TF201. The radio systems all work as they should and the device has become a joy to use. It's still not perfect; Bluetooth disconnects occasionally and the browser sometimes 'stutters'. However these faults do not happen very often and I believe they are more to do with the Android operating system than the TF700.
Throughout this traumatic series of events, Amazon has been very helpful and professional. I cannot fault their customer service in any way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›