5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some respects but constantly lags
Published 22 months ago by MarkSk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Asus Transformer TF700 10.1-inch Tablet with Keyboard Dock (Grey) (nVIDIA Tegra 3 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Front Webcam, Rear Webcam, Android 4.0 ICS) (Personal Computers)
I bought this to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 2010's - I haven't owned a tablet previously, and although I work in computing I've never managed to get to grips properly with mobile phones, so my Android phone hadn't led to a whole lot of experience with Android. I was therefore pleasantly surprised with almost everything about this tablet. It was far easier to get it up and running than any PC I've ever owned, and it's generally been pretty easy to work it out myself without having to resort to something terrible like actually reading an instruction manual. The main thing I love about it is that HOW you use it is extremely flexible and pretty optional. There's cloud storage, which you can use, or not - being from a computing background, I'm naturally paranoid, so all my data is on SD cards or memory sticks, which is fine too as there's a card slot on the docking keyboard, as well as a full sized USB port, and a micro-SD slot on the tablet. It comes with a fair few apps installed, but, since it's an Android tablet, if you'd prefer different apps then there are a world of them available. The pre-installed proprietary app for note-taking is so, so impressive, combining the extremely responsive touch-screen with the functionality of a word processing app and even allowing you to pop pictures taken with the pretty decent onboard camera into it. I wish I'd had something like that when I was a student! I've had it a month now and am still learning (a process slowed by the fact that I spent the first fortnight of ownership playing Angry Birds almost exclusively!) but I absolutely love it.
So, the answer to the big question - how does it compare to the iPad? Like most people, I was torn when trying to decide what to get. To i or not to i, that is the question. My sister went the i-route, and there's no doubt that an i-pad is a beautiful thing. When you look at just the tablet portion of the TF700, they are visually very similar. They weigh similar amounts (the Asus is actually marginally lighter) and are similar sizes. I think that this particular Asus tablet is equally user-friendly to an iPad - I gather that not all Android tablets have been able to compete with Apple in that respect. The battery life for the iPad seems to be a bit longer than for the TF700 tablet only, but with the keyboard dock providing extra battery, the Asus package goes for longer overall without charging. The only slight reservation I have is the weight. It fits in my shoulder bag nicely, but with the weight of all the other stuff I carry around as well, if I'm carrying the tablet AND keyboard then after a while it's still too darn heavy. The tablet on its own is no problem as it's pretty light, so I'd like to see Asus find a way to reduce the weight of the keyboard portion (without losing the very handy extra battery life that it provides) by the next version. An ipad with a lightweight wireless keyboard would weigh less but not provide the battery or (famously) any way of connecting USB devices to it. Overall, though, the argument was always between having Apple's beautiful hardware and fluid use but having to put up with only using Apple apps, versus other manufacturer's less beautiful construction and user interface but having access to any app that has ever been conceived of, including thousands of free ones. I chose this tablet because I thought it sounded like I could have the best of both worlds, and I'm not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but not perfect (4.5), 3 Oct 2012
Background: I have been waiting for this Tablet/hybrid for nearly a year now. I was going to buy the Prime but heard they were bringing the Infinity out and instantly wanted the HD Screen. I have had the tablet for a few days no and love it even though it has a few imperfections.

Screen:

There has to be no doubt that the screen is beautiful. Web pages look stunning, pictures taken by decent cameras (DSLR's) are gorgeous. I haven't managed to load any full HD Videos on there but Youtube HD videos look really really good. I was very annoyed and disappointed when I got the tablet out of the box and turned in on though. There is some slight Screen Bleading (when the device is on and showing a dark or black screen, you can see a white haze.) This is only visible in dark lighting and I never notice it now using the tablet day to day (note: this is a known problem). Like other reviews I haven't compared the screen against an iPad 3 but have looked at one in the past and I can't really see much difference. The Infinity is much better when the IPS+ is on(it is so bright is hurts your eyes in low light) and make the tablet usable in bright light. Reading in the Dark on the lowest light setting is bearable but it's better to have a light on in the back ground to not damage your eyes. At the moment the internet and video's are not optimised for over 1080p quality so at this moment in time, there isn't much use for the iPad screen. Also, 16:9 is much much better for watching movies, you get to see a lot more video and less letter boxing. Note: The iPad screen has a higher resolution because the screen is smaller. The infinity would be the same resolution if the infinity had a 9.7 inch screen.

Processor and Battery:

I got the Jelly Bean update as soon as I turned it on so I was over the moon and using Google Now straight away. Brilliant but the voice detection was a bit sporadic and didn't search the right things even though I was in a silent room (maybe a update is needed).
The processor is stunningly fast. However, there is a bit of lag now and again. This maybe due to the fact the processor is switching from it's eco 5th core to all for Cores. The more you work with it, the quicker it gets. It loves multi-tasking. There also is a bit of lag when rotating the screen on homepages, but I do have widgets like Gmail, Youtube, Books and Weather. iPad doesn't have that to content with because it's boring. Gaming, and watching videos are so smooth it's is almost unbelievable that heavy games like Dead Trigger can run so smooth on something that isn't a Xbox or PS3.
The battery life is brilliant I have been on it each evening and it won't drop below 50% before the end of the night (a good 6 hours). I'll update the review a few weeks down the line.

Connectivity:

Every time I use this Tablet, I ask myself 'Why would anyone buy a iPad'. Yes the ipad is 50 less for the same size storage. But that extra 50 gets you a brilliant keyboard. with a SD card and USB slots. I pulled the SD Card out of my DSLR and put it straight into the dock (when connected to the tablet), not having to put the onto the computer then transfer them to a device. Also, I have transferred loads of Videos/Pictures/PDF's on to the tablet by using a USB stick and the brilliant File Manager App (no plugging it into Itunes and waiting for it to sync everything). The extra 50 gives you the ability to expand the memory as well. If in a year time you have filled the 64GB, just go buy a 32GB Micro SD card for a 20 and your sorted (I have heard rumors on forums of a 64GB mircro SD being supported. So for a total of an extra 70 you can have a 96GB tablet.
Finally, there is a micro HDMI which I have not tried yet and will update once I have tested it as another review has experienced problems.

I think you can tell, I love Android but this has justified my claim that the iPad is wasted with the lack of connectivity and dominated by Apple wanting to control everything (through itunes).

I was shocked by the lack of compatibly apps and apps that aren't optimized for tablets. This should improve with more tablets with Higher res screens being produced. However, the iPad wins that section by a long long way.

A few brilliant apps are: BBC News, TED (not the Movie), IMDB, Sketchbook Pro, Netflix, Chrome (comes Pre-intalled), All the Google Apps work and look brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some respects but constantly lags, 8 Nov 2012
It looks great and is so much more versatile than an iPad with all the socketry it has. But the device can be so laggy that it drives me mad. You can type several words before they appear on the screen and the haptic feedback kicks in. The wifi strength is up and down like a yo-yo, whereas my HTC One X sat next to it has a continually strong signal. The website reviews for the device all said it was lightning fast but that doesn't seem to be the case. Had I known that the Nexus 10 was coming out I wouldn't have spent 600 on this device. I hope Asus reads the feedback!

A FEW DAYS LATER, AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH...
I read that 'cold booting' the tablet gets rid of the sluggish performance. Turn the tablet off, then turn back on, holding down the Power and Volume Down buttons together for about 10 seconds. Small text appears in the top left and it will begin to restart. This made the tablet as fast as it was out of the box. And you can do this every week if you have to, apparently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet, 25 Dec 2012
After much reading of many reviews and dozens of Google Alerts on Tablets, I settled on the Asus TF700 with the docking station. Had it for two weeks and really pleased with it. Does everything that I want it to do. It came with 64 GB installed and with two SD Cards now installed (one 16 GB Micro SD in the Tablet and a 32 GB SD Card in the Docking Station) it has 112 GB of accessable storage. Unbelievable, considering the size of the 20 MB Winchester I had installed in my first PC about 27 years ago, at a replacement cost that would make your eyes water. The one attribute I would have liked is a HDMI connection but it's not that big a deal. Charged the Tablet as instructed and waited for the green light. The Jelly Bean update was installed (after asking permission), seamlessly after it was switched on and it had connected to my WiFi Hub. It shows all the WiFi connections available, in Settings automatically and you choose the one applicable to your set up. Literally operational with Jelly Bean installed, connected to the WiFi, Internet and email within 10 to 15 minutes of being switched on. Also, you really do not have to be an expert to get it set up. I put in a lot of thought and reviewing before spending that much money and was more than a little anxious as I have no access to the Money Tree. My concerns no longer exist. I recommend the Asus Infinity but like everything else, reliability can only be attested to, on the day you dipose of the item. One other thing, buying through Amazon reduces the concerns as they have in the past changed items for me that have developed faults. On one occasion I had the replacement before I had the oppurtunity to return the faulty item.
Who can fault that level of service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer (Scotlands most northerly town) - See all my reviews
not cheap but beautifully made and the perfect Apple killer. The Bible says Apple is the root of all evil so do the right TV thing!
Highly recommended product. Treat yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what I did without it., 27 Sep 2012
George Gebbett (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I preordered my Transformer on Sep 1, and waited 9 days for it to be delivered - this was not Amazon's fault, as they had told me that that was when it would ship. Anyway, needless to say, those were the longest 9 days of my life! I am writing this review on it now, and I have to say, one of the few gripes that I have with the keyboard is that from time to time button presses aren't registered which can be quite annoying... Also, on inspection of the keyboard dock, it is the TF201 model, which is the Prime dock; so instead of paying nearly 600 pounds for this item, I could have bought the tablet from America or Germany or wherever it's cheapest, and then a cheap as chips Prime dock, which (if my memory serves me correctly) amounts to about 200 cheaper. So heed my advice before you buy it. I'll outline negative points now, but don't let them put you off as this really is a fantastic piece of kit!

* The most annoying of them all would probably have to be the NVIDIA memory allocation bug. I think there is a slight issue in the firmware which causes 3D games to gradually get slower until they become unplayable after a few days. This is easily reversible with a reboot but still annoying. It is not just 3D games which get slower though, the whole tablet eventually becomes unusable.

* A few features from previous Transformers are missing. The most annoying: Lack of bluetooth support for PS3 controllers and no way to lock the taskbar. You can still plug a PS3 controller in by USB on the dock, but you know, wires and all that ;). The taskbar is a different kettle of fish. With the previous Transformers, you could disable the taskbar at the bottom of the screen to avoid accidentally exiting games etc. That feature is absent on this model so I can't leave it with my baby cousin doing her drawing or whatever for fear of her exiting the app and doing something else. ***UPDATE*** The taskbar issue has been fixed with the new JB update. The other issues remain.

* From time to time, the device will not wake from sleep and must be rebooted. Immensely annoying.

* There is only one speaker and it is right where your hand rests when using it as a tablet in landscape mode so the sound is almost always muffled unless you hold the tablet very unnaturally.

I am hoping that these bugs will all be fixed and features reinstated when we get the Jelly Bean update that ASUS promise is on the way.

And now the positives:

* This is quite frankly the most amazing tool you can have for almost anything! I use it pretty much all day and certainly everyday.

* The battery life is amazing. I can watch videos and play 3D games for an entire 7 hour bus journey and still have maybe 40 percent of the tablet battery left by the end. Granted the dock has been completely depleted but still.

* Build quality is fantastic. Surprisingly I haven't dropped it yet but it looks like it could handle a drop quite well. It does look worryingly scratch prone though.

* Screen looks amazing, HDTV quality.

* It comes with a beautiful microfiber cloth for cleaning it, which I have lost :(

* 3D games - at least initially - run very smoothly

* Almost vanilla Android installed

* If you are so inclined, ASUS provide a tool to unlock the bootloader of your Transformer, but using it voids your warranty.

It is all in all an immensely capable device, and I love mine. There is little, however, to set it apart from its baby brother, the Prime, and I would advise buying that one unless you want/need the FHD screen or Tegra 3 chipset.

Finally, I have the Grey version, and if I could go back, I would probably get the Gold one. This is a matter of personal preference and the Grey is indeed very nice, not quite grey, but not quite purple.

I would definitely advise you to buy either an Infinity or a Prime, everyone should have one!!

George

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Buy Buy you will not be dissapointed!, 9 Oct 2012
I originally purchased the prime back in December last year from PC World. I think I was one of the first to get the prime as there were many delays from Amazon. I received it on Jan 3rd. Shortly after this I discovered the GPS and wireless issues. I could maybe have gotten over this but then the announcement of the Infinity (Not called that then) at CES I think. Big disappointment. Shortly after this it was updated to ICS. I used this for one day before I had to return and wait for the Infinity.

I did not know it was to be a 9 month wait! Still I have 6 children so it would not be the first time I had waited for this duration. Despite release dates announced and then recalled, a delivery in America and constant (and I mean CONSTANT) checking for pre-order on Amazon (I had got the heads up from engadget that Amazon would be the place to go and no other retailer apart from clove who had the American version) I managed to pre order on the 27th August 2012 with delivery on the 11th September 2012. I even paid the extra for Expedited delivery.

It turned up on the 11th September. As far as I was aware one other person received theirs on the 11th. We both go on Android Forums and he was the only one who had confirmed delivery. I have previously owed a TF101 (the original TFT) that was good and was quickly upgraded to ICS earlier this year. I do have experience with tablets and I have extremely high expectations.

I can say it was worth the wait. It is a great machine. I have not come across any limitations on the device. Some websites are slow and there can be lag. However like the prime it has 3 performance modes. I mostly use balanced but when I get lag I go onto performance and 9 out of 10 time performance is improved. Flash is available on the JB update. Look on the XDA developers website for the link to download the APK. Simply install this file and use the stock browser not chrome. Flash works. Streaming in HD on the iplayer is a dream. HD on Netflix is almost always faultless (there is sometimes a lip-sync issue). I use Chrome for most of my web browsing as most sites now have an android site and it is HTML5 compatible. When I want flash I use the stock browser.

This tablet is great. I do not like the closed ethos of apple. My wife likes apple and has an iphone. I may buy 2 ipads at Christmas. One for her and one for my Mum. Apple products do work as long as you want to play by SJ's rules. You have no options and cannot tinker in any way. There are advantages to this but also disadvantages. I want to be able to plug my machine into a computer of my choice and copy stuff. I want to be able to encode films in a format that I want that will work with all of my households devices. I do not want to account for non divx playing hardware. My wife will never want to watch films and consume media the way that my children and I do. I cant imagine the cost of this from Itunes!

Another plus point is that with android hardware you only have to purchase apps once. As long as all your hardware is signed in to the correct Google account they can all use the app. Great!!

At last there is a proper alternative to the ipad. I cannot say enough about the Infinity. I was made up with my purchase and when JB was ported so quickly what a bonus.

There is as far as I can see one negative review and this is more of a rant at Amazon and Asus and bears no reflection to the performance of the Infinity. As I have stated before Buy Buy Buy you will not be disappointed.

Just one question has anyone come across a good cover. I have 2, one from amazon (its ok but a faux leather one) and one from Asus (the neoprene one that accepts the keyboard as well, this is a replacement for a previous one that did not fit very well).

I hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets on My Purchase, 12 May 2013
J. Morgan "Woodlander" (Wales) - See all my reviews
I had it in mind to wait for Microsoft Surface Pro but on the basis on its excellent screen and its good reviews I lost patience waiting for the Surface's debut and decided to go for the Asus Transformer Infinity. The fact that the equivalent Surface was likely to cost at least as much, if not more, also influenced me. Searching around I found I was able to get the Asus for about 600 but make sure you are getting both the screen and the keyboard. After about three weeks of ownership I have no regrets.

I am an experienced user of computers but this is my first tablet type machine. Having bought it I must admit for a few days I wondered why I had done so. I did wish to use it as an electronic book reader and view TV through wifi but currently I find no suitable app for Sky Go, which I particularly wished to use, because there does not seem to be one as yet for the latest Android version. Nevertheless as the days go by I am finding my new tablet more and more useful.

Before purchase I was also concerned about using my MS Office documents on an Android machine. On buying I have recognised that a tablet even with a very good keyboard is only properly useful for lightweight Office and other document creation use. For that the available Office apps are sufficient and I am also using Skydrive and MS Office 365 which seem to work as normal on my Asus Infinity. The Infinity comes with a free 8 gb storage in the Asus cloud which I think will be useful. It works in a similar way to Google drive and Skydrive and is available to my two Windows desktops as well.

The machine itself is solid and well built. The battery seems to last for ages but this is probably because I mostly have the keyboard attached even though I use the touch screen for browsing. When used with the screen the keyboard is solidly attached but it is easy to detach if you want to use the screen alone. If you so wish you can attach a usb mouse to the machine. Whereas using fingers on the touchscren is perfectly possible I bought a stylus as a substitute for fingers and this works very well and reduces screen smear. I don't find the touchpad very useful perhaps because I am not accustomed to using such a device. It seems a little oversensitive but it may well be that there an ability to just this somewhere in the system.

The Android operating system is new to me but the version which the Asus upgrades to on purchase seems to work without obvious problems. I find it is good to experience something other than Windows for a change.

The robustly built Infinity has as good a detachable keyboard as you are liikely to get on a tablet. It all works very smoothly and as I get to know it better I find myself using it for web browsing when I might otherwise have used my other computers. The same goes for the reading of techinical manuals in pdf format which are more relaxing to read from the Infinity, in an armchair, than from one of my PCs at my home/office desk.

I have left much about the Infinity unsaid but none of it is to detract from the machine, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Display, 19 Mar 2013
I chose this product because I already have an Android Phone and the compatibility with Windows is out of the box due to the Polaris office. Key features for me are the USB, HDMI and SDHC card slots, as well as the additional dock with extra battery.

This specific tablet was the last offered on Amazon. I had to wait with the purchase and was almost too late. The tablet was virtually sold-out....

Battery life is more than adequate for me. The touch screen is very easy to wipe I've had no need yet to use a cleaning agent.

I'm also using the tablet as a proper sized E-reader and I find the adjustable brightness quite sufficient. In the meantime, I've downloades som 1.500 books, still on the 64 GB SSD.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Asus TF700 and looking forward to some very pleasant years of good use

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, light, strong and long battery, 24 Oct 2012
Mark Jennison "Metal Marky" (Belper, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great cross over device for those people torn between the laptop and tablet battle. It is the way things are heading with the likes of the Microsoft Surface, but Asus were on this scene ages ago with the transformer range. This latest addition is excellent, well worth the wait. It is reassuring to know the screen is strong so it makes you slightly less nervous carrying the device about. I am looking forward to the Bobj silicone cover coming out for this very soon. That will finish the package off nicely.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›