5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary
Published on 18 Nov. 2012 by eeeee

2.0 out of 5 stars 5* for speech recognition and 2* for robustness
Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by Angus Jenkinson

2.0 out of 5 stars 5* for speech recognition and 2* for robustness, 27 Feb. 2013
Angus Jenkinson "angusjenkinson" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0, Educational Online Validation Program (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been a user of Dragon since Dragon 6. I use it extensively and it has made a big difference to my fluency, speed and in interesting ways to my style of writing. Over the years the basic quality of identification and recognition has improved, but only marginally each time. Remember that back then it already claimed 98-99% accuracy. All improvements are therefore based against the decreasingly small inaccuracies - that still remain despite training. At a certain point, other than new words, I think it makes sense to switch off training as it takes more time to correct the system (train) than it does to correct the words.

The biggest problem with Dragon - and one they really need to get to grips with - is not recognition accuracy (yes, it will matter for voice based interaction with intelligent devices, like Watson) but NOT CRASHING APPLICATIONS. I am prompted to write this when Dragon has again crashed my Word doc losing what I have done, and crashed Outlook at the same time. If I get by two hours without a crash I think I am VERY LUCKY! And it is still dodgy with Powerpoint.

That's why I would give it 5* for speech and 2* for robustness with the apps it wants to integrate with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 18 Nov. 2012
Perhaps the most honest way of making a review is simply by dictating and leaving the results and corrected. I have been using Dragon naturally speaking now for about 2 months. I often make use of it for dictating on subject matters that have a specialized vocabulary. With minor effort, I have trained the program to recognize these words. Perhaps it is better to say that the program has guided me to select various documents that have such words so that it could go through them and then bring them to my attention. The program would then ask me to enunciate them properly. With minor exceptions the subsequent use of these words and technical terms appeared correctly.

If anyone takes notes from books as a researcher this program is extraordinary. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that it actually can do what it does. Parenthetically I have a physical disability that does not allow me to sit at a keyboard and screen for any length of time. This dictation program allows me to overcome this handicap. I pace about, make remarks, take notes without having to be in front of the computer. I should also note that I have a peculiar accent and that I am "technologically challenged".

-----------------------------------End Dictation------------
Note that the only error made was "and corrected" instead of "uncorrected". This is the type of error that is easily correctable by clicking on "Training".

1.0 out of 5 stars Big delay in getting to use it, 10 April 2013
I bought this product for my daughter who is a student. Forget the product itself. As this is an educational version you need to get it specially validated. It took 7 working days and 3 chasing e mails to actually get them to send us the code to get it started from when we e mailed them the info. Very poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad decision, 7 Mar. 2013
A "nickwebborn" (Eastbourne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Nuance rang me and persuaded me to upgrade to version 12 and had nothing but problems since. All the promises of quicker and more accurate have not come about. Very frustrated and will revert to v 11 if not sorted soon. All the years of training down the Swanny!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I took the chance, 26 Feb. 2013
I am currently writing up a Ph.D. (a thesis of 80,000 words). A few months ago I tried the Microsoft dictation software that came with Windows 7. This reconfirmed my opinion that dictation software had not yet 'come of age'. A few days later I visited the Nuance website and wondered whether this company could really live up to its claims for Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12. I would never have taken the risk if I hadn't had such a large writing task ahead of me. I can confirm this software does exactly what they claim. This review has been written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12, and I've accomplish the task in a fraction of of the time that it would have taken me if I had been typing. This is one piece of software I would never be without. I am amazed at how this software learns your profile and continues to improve. It has also taken over the function of spellchecking, but what is even better is that you can speak words that you don't know how to spell and it handles it all for you. Your writing creativity is enhanced because you are much freer to express yourself verbally.
I would not recommend running this software on a marginal installation. I am using a quad core i7 laptop with 16GB of memory. This application has to multitask with other large packages (like MS Office), so you need much more than minimal computing power. You can configure Dragon to do less, but that really defeats the point of it.
I had an initial installation problem on my laptop, but this was not the fault of Nuance (an Nvidia driver update has caused a conflict with both Dragon and Skype). This is now resolved. I cannot recommend this product more highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for children over 13 years old, 18 July 2013
It does not mention it anywhere on the box or on the Amazon product description but Nuance will only give serial key with proof child is in full time education and over 13 years old.

Wasted time getting letter from school and now returned product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Speaking v12, 13 Oct. 2012
Bought this for my son and I to use. He is dyslexic and finds writing hard so will use it for his school work. I use it at home and for office work. It was easy to set up and get running. I have 'trained' it using the program provided and so far I have no problems with it. There are some mistakes, but once corrected it seems to get the word right the next time. I am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars many thank, 3 Jan. 2014
I had a problem with my first order but Nuance Communications quickly re placed it for me, it is now up and running. I would like to thank Nuance Communications for their phone call and help.cadwallader

1.0 out of 5 stars would be a good product if not for the terrible service, 3 Oct. 2013
I have a disability which effects my fine motor control which require me to use this product for day to day work over the last 4 years I have purchased dragon multiple times as it is in many ways the only option for software that even vaguely dose as advertised (and to be fair it dose that well). However the overly aggressive drm is terrible meaning a slight issue during installation can lead to it counting as using the licences (fortunately the store I purchased it from agreed to a refund in the when this happened after calling up nuances and being amazed themselves by there poor customer services and refusal to fix the problem themselves. The customer services is unhelpful (both in the mentioned case and other times ive dealt with them) and rude. the website contradicts its self on the info you need to register, and what you do require is overly obtrusive and took me a day to get together. this is the only software ive ever payed for where I wished I had access to a drm free version simply to easily use my own product and with its very high cost I am perpetually cornered that something will go wrong and ill find I need to purchase a new one. would I recommend this product not unless you absolutely need it due to disability or illness meaning you cant type coherently without it otherwise stick to the old fashioned way until someone better at customer services manages to break there de facto monopoly

4.0 out of 5 stars If you hate typing like me this or the newer version is ..., 20 Feb. 2015
If you hate typing like me this or the newer version is for you. I use to write academic essays for my university work. Its not perfect but its fairly accurate. There are options to train it and add more advanced vocabulary.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0, Educational Online Validation Program (PC) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Server 2008 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £149.74