4.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement on Dragon v11
I have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for a few years now and this latest version 12 is a definite improvement on previous editions.

For a start, I notice that its accuracy is significantly better.

Published 20 months ago by A Reader from the UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility issues with Realtek
Published 19 months ago by Impecunious

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement on Dragon v11, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)

For a start, I notice that its accuracy is significantly better.

Second - and this is very important to me - I no longer find when dictating in Microsoft Word that Word freezes (crashes), which is something that happened at least once a session every time I used versions 10 & 11.

If you are wondering whether it's worth upgrading to v12, I would say definitely yes, for the two reasons I've given above. It isn't perfect, it still makes mistakes (but that's often because I have spoken too quickly or indistinctly), but it's a fantastic productivity aid and the fact that it has stopped crashing has taken away my old frustration with it.

I do recommend it. However, make sure your computer can cope with the processing power demanded by Dragon 12. I'd also suggest you invest in a really good quality noise-cancelling microphone to get the most benefit from it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility issues with Realtek, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I really struggled with this when I first bought it; it was deathly slow, woefully inaccurate and wasted hours of my time. I eventually spoke to a Nuance representative who went over my system with me and we identified (a) that I use the supplied headset with two mini jack plugs and (b) that my Acer laptop has a Realtek sound card. He admitted that 'in around 50% of cases' Dragon NS conflicts with Realtek sound cards. The answer is to use a headset with a USB connector rather than one with two mini-jacks. Apparently this bypasses the sound card. Those with a 2-mini-jack headset don't have to buy a replacement headset; just get a cheap jacks-to-USB adaptor. I'm only now starting to use the software but even if turns out to be brilliant it's only getting three stars from me because of the hassle it's caused. Oh, and it still freezes my Hotmail, but maybe that's something that will eventually be sorted too. Incidentally, I don't know whether this conflict with Realtek arises with all versions of Dragon NS or just this one.
UPDATE - I've used it for some time now and it's really very good. If I hadn't had all that trouble at the start I'd have given it four or five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Nuance is gold for me, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I bought Dragon v12 a couple of months ago having used Dragon v11.5 intermittently for two months before that and whilst I cant really testify to the "superiority" of the newer version, it is nevertheless simply brilliant. For me there were no installation issues, nor any start-up issues although I quickly decided to buy a decent microphone which certainly made a huge difference. I am a School Administrator and I am now able to assess all of my students' work "verbally" and seamlessly in Word, Excel or Powerpoint, speak answers to endless emails in a much more timely fashion, speak speeches, Assembly notes and so forth, as well as do almost all of my own letters to stakeholders within the School and Community of which I am a part - any time and anywhere. Students seem to be immensely appreciative of the comprehensive comments I now give on their work and parents and others are surprised and enthusiastic about the speed of my replies and the comprehensive nature of my responses to them.
All this has been possible thanks to Nuance Dragon software which simply saves me every day! Out of the box, the software was about 95% accurate but its rate of "learning" is amazing - it sorted through my emails and documents looking for names and writing idiosyncrasies which it could, in future, recognise, and it has since appropriated these into its own dictionaries thereby making even fewer errors. I have to "try" quite hard to fool it now - it is gold for me and my work.
It is NOT perfect but it is SO good that any complaints are, in my view, churlish - it's a business lifesaver - buy it! I did and I am delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Download, 20 Aug 2013
Opted for this instead of the physical shipment both for the instant download option as well as the reasonable price tag. Had some worries about compatibility with Microsoft Surface Pro machine especially as the product comes with a no returns policy - it is the customer's responsibility to determine compatibility issues before purchasing, says the website (Nuance offer the 30-day money back guarantee if you buy it from them!). However, it was a smooth experience from downloading to installation and the application is working as expected. Of course, I had to spend another 30 to buy a decent headset (which is included if you buy the physical shipment for 100+).
The option of being able to download from your online software library in the future is an added bonus (Nuance charge you an extra 5 for this option).

1.0 out of 5 stars GRRRRR!!!!, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I wish I could comment on how good or how bad this product is - but I cant. The software will not run with my headset - fair enough you say. Except that this is the headset provided WITH the software. The solution appears to be to buy a USB headset

1.0 out of 5 stars Installation nightmare!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
BE WARNED - installing this product may be too complex. I've been using Dragon Dictate for 10 years, never have I had so much trouble trying to get it installed. It couldn't upgrade from version 11. One problem after another. Nuance support website had an answer for each problem, usually involving downloading special software from them to fix it. That sounds like good support, until you're downloading your fifth fixer, only to discover it reveals another new problem. First I had to uninstall version 11. That required manually deleting the files, registry cleaning (twice), downloading TWO uninstall/clean programs from Nuance because the product is so wierdly embedded in the system. Then installing, then reinstalling, then downloading and running a "fix bad installation" program, then running a repair. Still only works in its native Dragonpad app. Won't run in MS office or any other app. Basically the product is not fully compatible with Windows 7 or 8. As a former Microsoft windows support technician, I have the skills to work out what's going wrong and find a fix, but I doubt this would be possible without technical skills. If you understand about dll's and can edit the registry you'll be fine, after 2-3 days work installing. If you don't know what those terms mean, forget it.
Forums and the web are filled with people having these problems.
It's easily the best voice dictation system around. If it runs OK and you train it properly you can talk to it like you'd talk to another person and it will get it near perfect. Train it when it makes a mistake and it will become absolutely flawless.
BUT the technology underneath this, which makes it work inside your computer, is clearly second-rate. Seems like Nuance put all their effort into accuracy and forget about stability, reliability and maintenance. I'm sure this product will install OK for some, but far too many are having problems.
If you've got an earlier version which is OK - DON'T UPGRADE. If not - how lucky do you feel?

2.0 out of 5 stars 5* for recognition, 2* for robustness, 27 Feb 2013
Angus Jenkinson "angusjenkinson" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been a user of Dragon since Dragon 6. I use it extensively and it has made a big difference to my fluency, speed and in interesting ways to my style of writing. Over the years the basic quality of identification and recognition has improved, but only marginally each time. Remember that back then it already claimed 98-99% accuracy. All improvements are therefore based against the decreasingly small inaccuracies - that still remain despite training. At a certain point, other than new words, I think it makes sense to switch off training as it takes more time to correct the system (train) than it does to correct the words.

The biggest problem with Dragon - and one they really need to get to grips with - is not recognition accuracy (yes, it will matter for voice based interaction with intelligent devices, like Watson) but NOT CRASHING APPLICATIONS. I am prompted to write this when Dragon has again crashed my Word doc losing what I have done, and crashed Outlook at the same time. If I get by two hours without a crash I think I am VERY LUCKY! And it is still dodgy with Powerpoint.

That's why I would give it 5* for speech and 2* for robustness with the apps it wants to integrate with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product is good, Customer service/Technical Support isn't!, 19 Nov 2012
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have used Nuance on and off for about 10 years. it works and this version is the best yet. But.... and its a big BUT the after sales service is probably the worst I have come across.

I bought the software and had trouble installing the serial number - it said the serial number was for a different version. no problem I though I will ring Nuance. Got through to customer service and was given two options. Neither was for technical support but the message was that I should call another number for technical support. however, Nuance's recorded message didn't give it. went to website and did the call-up option in screen i typed in my question and asked for technical support's number in UK. Got a response telling to look on the USA or Canada website. obviously the respondent wasn't reading my comment. tried again and after a while he told me to look on the UK website and gave me the address. did that and.......no telephone number for technical support so I still couldn't call. The Nuance agent asked if he could help me anymore.. Yes can you give me the telephone number... answer its on the website ...but I cant find it, please tell me what it is? no response.

I then trawled Google got two suppliers in the UK called and was diverted immediately back to the USA. Got Francis who went through the query with me. resolved the issue in 29o minutes and now up and running.

Now I tend to believe that customer service and aftersales is one of the reasons you buy software. seems Nuance don't seem to think so. regret until another firm come up with dictation software looks like we will all have to suffer this poor service. I am dreading having problems with this not cheap software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't upgrade - as the software tells you to, 20 May 2014
D. Collins "Dave Collins" (New Forest, UK.) - See all my reviews
I specifically bought the download version so that I could use it immediately. The installation then told me there was a 12.5 update and recommended I installed it. The catch: my code doesn't work. I called Nuance UK and 24 hours later am still waiting for a code. I can only use the software twice more before it locks me out. This is precisely why people dislike product activation - shame on this company for taking so long to give me a code that I've already paid for. Shocking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't install, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
After installation (Windows 7)and re-booting, on starting program, an error message stated "can't find file dnstk10.dll". "Reinstall program". After reinstalling program, the same error message came up. Waste of 1 hour, so I have sent it back.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 12.0 (PC) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / 8 / Server 2008 / Vista / XP)
77.98