1,065 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and very well written
Well, after looking at this title on Goodreads, I discovered it is quite controversial. All I can say is that I loved it and Walking Disaster. Yes, it has some dark bits to it. However, I thought it was really well written and engrossing with complicated we'll fleshed out characters.
Published 16 months ago by Dreamer Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed and ill-thought-through, centred around an unbelievable relationship
Inexplicably, this book has a 4.5 star average. That's higher than any of the Fifty Shades of Grey books that it's compared to. This was a 99p special offer, which I downloaded without expectations of literary greatness but because I did enjoy the Fifty Shades trilogy.

Beautiful Disaster wasn't so bad that I had to stop reading it. (I hate leaving books...
Published 15 months ago by StephanieIsReading

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and very well written, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book 1, 9 Oct. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's hard to know where to start when it comes to reviewing Beautiful Disaster. This is the kind of book that readers have either loved or hated and I have to admit to enjoying every minute of it. If you want to read about a perfect and healthy relationship then this isn't going to be the book for you but if you like your stories with a lot of angst between two dysfunctional people then you'll be completely hooked. Whether you end up loving or hating it you are pretty much guaranteed to have a strong reaction to this novel and if you ask me that is the most important thing I look for when I'm reading a book. I want to have characters I connect with and care about - even if I don't agree with the decisions they make or their actions.

Abby has moved across the country with her best friend America wanting to start a new life where nobody knows about her past. She is determined to be the good girl, the one who works hard, finishes her homework and doesn't spend her time going out partying. The last thing she expects or wants is to attract the attention of Travis - the campus bad boy, king of one night stands and boy every girl wants to be with. But with America dating Travis's best friend Shepley they are thrown together socially. Abby has no intention of being another notch on Travis's bed post and is determined to remain immune to his charms but Travis isn't used to being turned down. The very fact that Abby tries to resist him makes him want her even more and when a bet ends up forcing them to spend more and more time together sparks are bound to fly.

I don't want to say too much about the story line because this is a very character driven novel, in fact until towards the end of the book the focus is very much on the developing friendship between Travis and Abby. Do you remember the intensity of your first relationship? When you couldn't stand to be apart for even a minute and everything was so new and exciting? Jamie McGuire has captured that feeling perfectly in Beautiful Disaster, thankfully my first relationship wasn't quite as obsessive as this one but it was just as intense!

You can probably guess from the title that things aren't all plain sailing and at times watching their interactions is almost painful. They both have issues from their pasts and they both behave in inappropriate ways that cause each other pain. I'm never going to say that I agree with some of the things Travis does - he is controlling and has issues with a violent temper (I will point out that he never raises a hand to Abby in case that is something you're worried about) - but I also felt that Abby knew exactly how to push his buttons and at times was trying to provoke a strong reaction in him. That doesn't make his reaction right but I don't think her behaviour was any better. I found myself just as irritated with the way she constantly played Travis and Parker off against each other as I was with the way Travis reacted to it.

When their relationship works it really is wonderful to watch but when things go wrong you'll find yourself unable to look away from the horror of it. In a lot of ways Beautiful Disaster works as a "how not to have a successful relationship" guide because I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to emulate or accept behaviour like either Travis's or Abby's but that doesn't make it any less engaging to read about them. I think most of us are capable of separating reality and fantasy and I have to confess I had fallen for Travis in spite of his issues by the end of the book. I think this quote from one of their friends (I think it was Shep but I didn't make a note of who said it) sums up their relationship perfectly:

"You're a godd*mn tornado! When you're happy, it's love and peace and butterflies. When you're pissed, you take the whole f*****g world down with you!"

Beautiful Disaster is an addictive read, it is a story that you will obsess over with complex and flawed characters who you will love and hate with equal intensity. It's been a while since I had such a strong connection to characters in this age range and I can't tell you how excited I am to read the sequel when it releases next year. Walking Disaster will be the same story but told from Travis's point of view (although it will also include extra scenes) and I can't wait to get inside his head and understand exactly what he was thinking during the major events!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read!!!, 16 July 2013
I literally can't fault this book. I advise any hopeless romantic to give it a read, I'm pretty certain you'll fall in love with Travis Maddox like I did. I couldn't put the book down, as soon as it came in the post I started to read it and couldn't stop. I finished it within 2 days and then began to re-read it before walking disaster came!! Honestly the best book I've ever read. Can't wait to read it again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars best random read in a while!, 8 April 2012
I'd been buying books for my new kindle and this one was repeatedly recommended. At first I was a bit put off, thinking the title sounded a bit too much like a twisted romance novel for me but then, after seeing it recommended a good eight or nine times, I caved in and bought it. Oh. My. GOD! I am so pleased I did. I literally sat and read the whole thing in a matter of hours. Complete and utter page-turner. I couldn't get enough of it and loved the ending (it caught me completely off guard!). I don't often go for books I haven't heard of or authors I don't know any work by, but this truly is a fantastic book and you will not be disappointed. The characters were realistic, the emotions were raw and I found myself tearing up multiple times during the end of the book. I honestly cannot recommend enough. You need to read this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 10 Sept. 2013
I've just finished the book and I've read a few reviews about it that shocked me enough to write my first review in months. This book has been compared to twilight & fifty shades which is fair enough because it is also about an intense romance that can be a bit OTT at points.

Abby is a freshman at Eastern U & she's trying to get away from her difficult past. She then meets Travis who is described as a 'walking one night stand'.. They have a bet which ends in Abby staying at his apartment for one month...I'm conscious about spoilers but i will say it is an intense read where I found you can't put the book down because you need to know whats going to happen next. (Surely this is a sign of a good book?)

Now, as with Twilight & Fifty Shades there are some elements that a lot of people aren't happy about when they look at the relationship between Abby & Travis. Mainly that the guys in all these books are very intense & at points appears violent & angry. Firstly, I have to say just because I like this book doesn't mean I advocate toxic relationships. People make out that the main men in these books put the women down and may as well beat them, but they don't! (Slightly different in fifty shades lol)

In this book, Travis takes part in organised fights for money at uni & has a bad temper but he never once touches Abby.

I use goodreads and when I was reading the reviews on beautiful disaster there was one review that irritated me because it basically said women or girls that like this book or books like it are sad because they think these relationships are normal. I can't express how much this annoyed me! I enjoyed this book because I'm a romantic and yes, not all relationships are as functional and normal as Id like them to be in books but i appreciate it for what it is... Books would be so boring if it were a simple boy meets girl, falls in love.. The end. That would be quite pathetic reading. Its like soaps, they are about normal people.. But normal things don't happen to them. Would be boring if it did.

Of course at points in this book Travis was over the top and stalkerish & Abby was annoying & dramatic but it was harmless & makes the story.

I will be recommending this book to my friends and I'm pretty certain they will like it. Because romance books are meant to be like this. I appreciate its not for everyone but i think its unfair to slate someone that enjoys a book you disagree with. You don't see me laughing at those that enjoy sci-fi books. Each for there own! No one forces you to finish a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fans of 50 Shades will enjoy, 8 Feb. 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
“Beautiful Disaster” written by Jamie McGuire is a romantic novel that will appeal to those who normally enjoy this type of literature with sometimes a bit predictable plot, which still offers plenty of excitement on its pages.

Abby is modest and dear freshman who sees college start as an escape from the past. Reader will meet Abby’s long-time friend America, who always had the need to protect her, her boyfriend Shepley and nice looking, but extremely arrogant and conceited Travis, a silent suffering of many freshman girls and fighter in illegal fights.
When Abby does not show the slightest interest in Travis sweet words, she will become the first girl who rejected him, and thus the first girl he become interested for. Having lost the bet, Abby has a month to spend with Travis at the apartment, and a month is a long time.
Two seemingly different people will become true friends, and as the weeks move away, they will start to realize that they are more alike than they could have imagined, and that their relationship is anything but friendly…

Though in some ways typical “Beautiful Disaster” is not one of those romance novels with idealized figures – it’s a passionate and intense story, whose characters are complex, fierce and obsessive. Of course, its story doesn’t offer revolutionary new, but those who enjoy this type of novel will not mind the fact story is known and somewhat typical, while its ending more or less predictable.

However, the author has succeeded in her novel to perfectly show what teenage love is, what it feels like to love someone who suffocates you with jealousy, paranoia and possessiveness, while you cannot break away from these feelings because they have become your biggest addiction as well. Though just teenagers, Abby and Travis will show you what real love can and must endure because no one is perfect ... and while you infatuate due to some flaws of beloved one, remember how the other side struggles daily with yours.

And due to all above-mentioned, “Beautiful Disaster” reading can especially be recommended to fans of Fifty Shades of Gray, and if so far you have not had an obsession, this novel could become one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 18 April 2013
This is my FAVOURITE book. It's so good, I bought both the ebook and paperback versions!

The female lead, Abby is ballsy unlike so many of the leads in other young/new adult books. She's not some sweet/shy/naive girl; she's purposely being the girl in the cardigan with the pearls, trying to avoid the bad-boys and escape her past. And she knows full well what she's getting herself into when she agrees to be Travis's friend.

Travis is... well, Travis. He's everything you could want in a sexy bad boy and more!

The two characters together make for an intense story and a dysfunctional relationship, flipping from beautiful to disaster in the space of a page and then back again in another. The story is angsty, powerful, emotional and gripping from the first page - each time I've read it, I've devoured the book in one sitting! The final fight scene is particularly intense - the first time I read the book I realised I'd been holding my breath the whole scene. Even now, knowing what happens, I still have my heart in my mouth. The sure sign of a good book!

Please beware, there are negative reviews out there which mention the violence and abuse in this book. Please don't let them put you off. Travis is an underground fighter. This is evident from the beginning of the book and clearly stated in the book's synopsis, so he was never going to be a 'dream boyfriend' but not once does he try to abuse Abby. Not verbally, not physically, not mentally and not sexually. Not at all. Please trust me - I've read the whole book (on more than one occasion too), which sadly isn't the case for some of these reviews.

Favourite quote:
"'She's not just a Porsche. She's a Porsche 911 GT3. There's a difference.'
'Let me guess, it's the love of your life?' I said, quoting Travis's statement about his motorcycle.
'No, it's a car. The love of my life will be a woman with my last name.' "

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and conflicting read! Brilliant!, 15 Jan. 2013
Well it's taken me a few hours to work through my feelings for this book. It was amazingly written which is why I have it the 5 stars over 4. I really enjoyed it, and I couldn't put it down (I was reading until 3am before I even realised what the time was), but there's something niggling in the back of my mind wondering about why I enjoyed it so much.

I love flawed characters and Abby and Travis are that in a nutshell. I loved the change in Travis when he realised that actually he was capable of loving someone, and that if he didn't win Abby over then he would never be happy. Reading it from Abby's point of view, I loved to feel her confusion and hesitation when it came to Travis, but what I think was bothering me the most when I read it was that I knew that it would have been better for both of them if they had never met, yet still I wanted them to work it out. That is what made this book such a compelling and emotional read, as it really makes you conflicted, just as the characters are too.

Before I read this book I saw some reviews talking about how violent Travis was which made me cautious when I started reading, as I will never condone violence to women in a relationship no matter how upset someone is. But those reviews are completely misleading, yes Travis is violent, but even with that aggressive nature and his ability to be violent to those around him, he has he would never be violent towards Abby, and if he ever was, I couldn't imagine he'd be able to live with himself afterwards.

What I wold have liked to see was some explanation for why Travis was the way he is. His mother died when Travis was very young, and of course that would have a huge impact on him as he grew up with a dysfunctional family unit, but I felt there should have been more of a reason for why he was so deeply emotionally damaged. Of course this may be explained more fully in the second book written from Travis' points of view 'Walking Disaster'.

So overall this was an emotional roller coaster of a read, I immensely enjoyed it, but the fact that I was so conflicted with how their relationship progressed and the pain that they both were in when they were together and apart made the book so much more to me than just another book on the 'read' bookshelf, it had engaged me emotionally and made me really think about how life can be. That is what made the book so great, and I'll definitely be checking out more of this author's works. Sadly the only thing that I didn't connect to was the descriptions of Travis' appearance. I couldn't connect to the character as a shaved head for some strange reason and had to imagine him with unruly dark hair before I felt his character come alive to me. Just because, being a student myself, I know that the guys the girls tend to fawn over, much like the girls in this book, tend to have a mop of hair. But that's just me :)

So 5/5 for this electric story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew My Mind! One of the best books I have ever read!, 14 Sept. 2012
Originally Reviewed On My Blog.

All I have to say is WOW! That is it! I honestly I have no words that can describe just how much I adored this book. I will try but be warned I may ramble and not make sense. So here goes..............

Usually when there is a lot hype around a book it rarely lives up my expectation. However, Beautiful Disaster is without a doubt one the best I have ever read. I was completely blown away by this. I had been told on many ocassions to read this book. And I have no idea why it took me to so long. I was hooked from page one.

Beautiful Disaster is one of those books that get right under your skin. The Characters are unforgetable. The chemistry between Abby and Travis is what makes this story so awesome. It's so intense and at times dark that just makes it so refreshing compared to a lot of relationships in book these days. And on a personal level I could really connect with these characters because at times during this book I felt like I was reliving a past relationship that was also very intense like Abby and Travis's relationship.

Now I have read a few reviews that talk about the "abuse" in this book. I want to know what book these people were reading?? Seriously? Travis is an intense person and has a lot of issue yes but abusive? God no! To me Travis comes across as this tough guy to everyone but with Abby there is a really soft and sweet side to him that makes me melt. Abby I adore. She is a strong character and isn't afraid to put Travis in his place. The two of them together is explosive and thrilling. They are a "Beautiful Disaster"

I am not going to get into the plot because there is no way I can do that without spoilers. All I will say is that the story is exciting and crazy. Takes you on so many emotional rollcoaster's it makes your head spin.

Jamie McGuire I want to marry your mind!! Her writing is completely flawless. She keeps you guessing as to what will happen next and how the story will end. Which was pretty awesome.

If you are looking for something that will keep you up until the wee hours of the morning then please give this ago. You will not be disappointed!! Beautiful Disaster is also a perfect example on what a crossover novel from YA to Adult should be like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book!, 9 Sept. 2012
I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I bought this book after it was recommended. I read the blurb and thought the story sounded pretty boring. Good girl and bad boy make a bet, if she wins, he becomes celibate for a month, if he wins, he lives in his apartment for a month. It didn't sound interested but I bought it anyway. I had it sat on my shelf for a week or so before I even started reading it. Even when I started reading it I wasnt completely sure where this book waas heading.

I am so glad I started reading it. I was literally hooked from the first chapter. I instantly knew I was really going to enjoy this book And even after finishing it and absolutely loving it, I cant understand why! The book doesn't have like a main story that it's leading up to, it's basically about Travis and Abby's relationship. Its not about whether there going to get together or not which is what I thought it would be like after reading about 100 pages. I cant put my finger on what it was I loved about this book, but I do love it! And completely recommend it 100%

I read this book in 3 days! I would of read it in a day if I could have, but unfortunately I have to work, eat and sleep. I think this book is so believable, and realistic. Well... some parts. Theres not a lot I can say about this book other than to read it because you will love it. Also the next book comes out next March (too long away), I've already pre-ordered it! I am looking forward to hearing it from Travis's point of view. Although I would of preferred a sequel.

I loved this book and will definitely be reading the next one! ***** I've read this again since writing this review! I love it more now. You notice things you didn't the first time reading it. I read it in a two day epic! LOVE THIS STORY.

Beautiful Disaster