Platform: Nintendo 3DS|Change
Price:£5.45 - £49.99

on 8 November 2012
Before reading any further, if you are trying to decide between the "starter pack" or the "booster pack" take one major thing in consideration!

** The new Portal of Power which comes with the Skylanders Giant's start pack is a USB CONNECTED and DOES NOT require batteries at all and DOES work with the first game too - making it a massive reason to upgrade!!! **

I absolutely loved the first game and only stopped playing for ONE simple reason - the batteries kept running out and they have finally fixed this ONE negative aspect of the game.

So even if you already own a portal of power from the first game, it is actually good value for money to buy the new starter pack again for Giants because 1) You get 3 new characters 2) You get a portal of power which is USB powered and 3) its actually the same price as the booster pack anyway on Amazon at least.

Why they didn't do this in the first place is beyond me?

Anyway the game itself...

The game works and feels almost exactly like the last one except the odd change and mostly improvements.
If you loved the first one like I did, you will love this one even more.

- The story is slightly shorter but its still lengthy story campaign.
- A new max level of 15 with old and new characters.
- More abilities to unlock for old characters.
- The ability to choose the difficulty including easy, normal, hard and NIGHTMARE once you complete the game once.
- Slightly crisper and nicer graphics.
- The in-game movies have been improved a lot visually, but still the lip-syncing is a completely off.
- They have removed the shaking of the stick to open boxes and now its just bashing the 'A' button instead.
- Now Kaos is a lot less annoying a character to listen to on screen!
- The new Giants are beautifully made, just like the previous toys.
- The Giants have eyes and certain parts which light up when on the portal.
- The new POP actually lights up at the bottom now and again it is now USB connected!!

You also have a whole new set of season 2 characters which have orange bases and new stances (but are basically the same existing characters standing differently).

They have also added a whole bunch of new features which just improve on the game as a whole.

- You can now spend your ingame gold on stuff..... imagine that!!
- You can buy hats, challenges and other items so all that gold saved up from the previous game can be used now.

- Also *UPDATE AFTER FINISHING THE GAME* the end fight with Kaos is actually well designed, fun and does not drag on and on and on like the first one did! Great improvement!!

Skylanders is one a game which is easy to mock and insult because it comes off as an attempt to make money out of kids and parents and yes it is! But it can't be ignored that Skylanders is actually a very well designed, built and thought-out product with a MASSIVE amount of re playability to it.

Its all your own personal choice if you choose to buy all the characters, but would maybe buying a new triple pack every month really hurt your pocket? That extends the game lifespan by another month or two a lone every time you get a new set of characters.

It works and its great and now that the POP is USB powered there really is nothing I can honestly say is negative about the game.... except if your a parent with kids... I feel sorry for you.
on 22 October 2012
There's something about Skylanders that ticks all of the boxes for me, I already own the PS3 version of Giants, and have recently completed the 3DS version, so here's a quick review.

Skylanders on 3DS is an OK game, very similar to the last 3DS outing Sklanders Spyros Adventure, but now with new areas and a new story.

It feels even an more cut-down version of the home console outing this time round, which drags the game down a bit for me. You can't choose upgrade paths for characters, no gold to spend on items, no Persephone to go happy dancing with. A lot is missing.

It's basically a jump n slash platform game with some nice environments and your Skylanders characters. Sound is good but cut scenes / voice acting is sparse. Graphically ok, but we all know the 3DS is capable of much more (a lot of pop-up is present which is off putting too).

A few bugs and glitches, meaning I had to jump back to the main menu, lose my progress and re-start levels as the game stuck me in a dead ends through no fault of my own.

Considering the 3DS version costs the same as the home console versions I can't help feeling a little short changed here.

Hopefully things will improve with later instalments and we'll see a lot more time and effort put into the 3DS side of things.

Overall I could only recommend this game at around a third of the asking price as a budget companion to the main console adventures, there's a lot less game here..
on 26 December 2012
This was no1 on my 5 year old sons xmas list. I bought it with reluctance as some of his games aimed at same age group he finds difficult and since it was quite expensive I was worried he would b able to play it. Once opened on xmas morning (and once Id read the instructions to work out how you sink up the portal with the nintendo 3ds) we got it on and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Seemed to know what to do straight away. Portal looks good when lit up. Comes with 3 creatres which is enough to get started. 1 big one and 2 smallers ones. He now wants to buy some more with xmas money. Overall very happy with purchase, would reccomend.
Also just to point out, Amazon was the only place I could find the game for the nintendo 3ds. Most places only stock for ps3 / xbox.
on 31 January 2013
After buying Skylanders Giants for XBox 360 for christmas, which my 7 year old loved, we decided to get the 3DS version with the christmas money he received. This game isn't a patch on the XBox version and we were slightly dissapointed. However as handheld games go it is still a good adventure game. Really good delivery time.
on 21 January 2013
This was at the best price anywhere, it came well packaged and fast free post, The characters themselves were very tightly packaged and I had to get them out for my son or he would of broke them so just watch this, Great addition for the 3DS XL now my son can stick it all in a bag and play anywhere, It is very sturdy and have seen some people say that battery life can be a problem, we use rechargables and have yet to replace them.
on 3 February 2013
my son loves this, he has fun collecting all the figures and saves his pocket money in order to buy them. Be warned - it is the gift that keeps on giving - one your child has it he or she will want to collect more and more figures.
on 21 March 2013
this was a great deal as it was on offer, our son is into the skylanders and this allows us to take it on holiday with us !
on 4 June 2014
Didn't know too much about this game before my son asked for it. But he loves it and it's just enough to get him started and enjoy the game.
on 21 January 2014
My son loves the game and has enjoyed collecting all the different characters.Great price and speedy delivery a must for all 3ds players.
on 5 December 2013
My grandson enjoyed this very much and is getting hours of enjoyment. The setvicefromamazon is excellent. Thank you very much.