4.0 out of 5 stars Great spec
I really love this laptop. Its the only ultrabook style laptop I could found that is also powerful enough to handle software engineer work.

Its very portable, the screen is great and the backlit keyboard is more useful than I expected!

Published on 11 Dec. 2012 by Sarah D

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Screen
Great spec but corners have been cut on screen and keyboard.

To avoid black text appearing gray, screen must be adjusted to a precise angle, this is really annoying!
Published on 19 Nov. 2012 by jah wurzel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great spec, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: GIGABYTE 9WU2442V0-GB-A-002 14-inch Ultrabook (Intel Core I7-3517U 1.9/3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 750GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam ,2GB nVidia GeForce GT640M, Windows 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)

I upgraded to windows 8 pro for only 15 and had no trouble with drivers - all were listed and easy to download and install from the gigabyte support website. I even upgraded the bios without any issues.

So far so good :)

The only downside, which I had read in reviews on laptopreview before i bought it, is the fan is on quite a bit and can be noisy if the room is very quiet. Doesn't really bother me but I've heard of people upgrading the bios to try to solve this. Its to be expected if you have such powerful equipment in a small package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Mar. 2013
UPDATE: Amazon replaced this product without any fuss or hassle and it arrived very quickly. I've turned the laptop on and this time there are no problems whatsoever. While disappointing to receive a product that was initialy faulty these things do happen. I now have no hesitation to recomend this product to anyone who needs a powerful yet light laptop.

I've had this laptop for less than 24 hours and its already going back for replacement. The Nvidia graphics chip has a problem and was not being recognised properly by the system. As such the laptop was restricted to the internal intel graphics. I appriciate that some times items will be faulty and since other parts of the system seemed very good given the limited time I spent on the machine I'm going to rate it at 2 stars. Assuming the replacement is not faulty then I can see no reason why I wouldn't up this rating to 4 or 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Screen, 19 Nov. 2012
Great spec but corners have been cut on screen and keyboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes more than a bit of getting used too........ the mouse and FN key use..., 18 Oct. 2012
I have now had my gigabyte laptop a couple of weeks, and I am relatively happy with it. The keyboard is fine, as I was a little worried about the keyboard based on other reviews, but I am getting more than a little frustrated with the speed and response of the textured mouse pad and the layout of some of the other keys - in particular the page up, page down, home and end keys which you have to press an additional FN key (on the other side of the keyboard) to access. Similarly with the Print screen button you have to press Fn, Alt and Print screen. Not a big deal in itself, and I am sure I will get used to it in time, but a little niggling all the same.

The speakers are rather tinny sounding, but being realistic they are never brilliant on a laptop.

A friend has the Samsung Chronos 7 (which doesn't have an SSD) which I think seems to start up a little faster, but my husband has been kindly helping me fine tune my settings so shutting the top hibernates and pressing the power button sends it to sleep, so things are improving in terms of how I use it and what I expect.

Until now I have been a dedicated Dell girl, and use an IBM thinkpad at work, the keyboard and mouse issue will take a bit of getting used to and I hope that will be sooner rather than later so I don't have to invest in a USB mouse (I have always preferred my laptop mouse pads until now......).

Apart from that a good solid machine, the case seems sturdy enough, and nice looking once you have removed all the branding and build logo's from around the mouse pad.

>> 6 weeks down the line - still not happy with the mouse pad (which I have used religiously on other machines for 10+ years) and the need to use the FN key for any combination of keys you want to use - like the volume, the alt+print screen, page up, page down, end. I must admit I have never had so much trouble getting used to a machine as I have this one, and I change work laptops quite frequently with my job. Beginning to regret this purchase more with time......