Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.15

on 12 October 2012
This book was interesting in that it developed characters from the inside.... how their inner mind worked and felt about life experiences. You could say it got inside their heads. That is the strong point and was a good story because of that interesting angle. The progress of the murders, how they occurred and the protagonist not being a suspect from an early stage was not realistic. But who cares, it was acceptable. The beauty of this book lies in JJ Franklin's skill on human perception and the way the characters are developed. The description of the killer's thoughts was very competently done, resulting in the reader understanding the why and how he is not normal. I think with feedback like this, JJ Franklin can keep the things that are done so expertly in this book and polish up on the believability of the plot in the next stories. Though a crime series is intimated in the book's product description on Amazon, I think Franklin should not write a series involving 'Matt and Eppy', but rather branch out into many different mystery novels.......BUT KEEP the expertise of getting inside people's heads.
on 24 December 2012
Quite an exciting book which has fairly short chapters so it moves quite rapidly. Enjoyed the book and could not put it down so read it over a couple of days. My main criticism is I am not sure what experience the writer has of the Police as in the book they are shown to be inept and stupid and very slow to pick up on the clues to the murderer's identity. Particularly, the incident of the squeaky wheel which I felt was particularly obvious. Apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
on 8 July 2015
As the first in a new series - I hope - this has much promise, with a good setting in and around Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon, and with interesting characters (although I hope Fluff gets her real name back!). Although unusual, knowing the criminal from the start enhanced the story. The last setting in the pool area was very pacy. Will definitely look out for the next JJ Franklin.
on 7 July 2013
Good story and characters, I couldn't put the book down at the last few chapters. I hope there's more like this.
on 27 March 2013
Brilliant. Edge of the seat, nail biting ending. Will be looking out for more of his books in the near future.
on 25 April 2013
I bought this book as a recommendation and I'm so glad I did. It had everything a good thriller needs, with endearing characters and an engaging plot. Definitely recommend this as a must read to all crime/thriller fans! Waiting for a follow on book please!
on 15 June 2015
Clive Draper thinks he can get away with murder - and he can. Only DI Turrell and his trusted team can stop Draper from killing again - but first they have to find the killer. A detective novel with a unusual twist - we know who the killer is before the police do, but we don’t know if the police can stop him. And, who will be the next victim? With tension up to the very last page, DI Turrell is a convincing detective who faces one of the biggest challenges of his career. Can he, his colleagues and family survive it?
on 15 June 2014
This is a psychological thriller which carries you along with its sense of urgency. The events start slowly and separately but soon accelerate and begin to converge. We have Detective Inspector Matt Turrell who returns from his honeymoon to deal with an incomprehensible murder in which the young female victim is dressed as a child. We are privy from the beginning to some of the murderer's thoughts which explain to some extent the psychological basis for his actions.
Detective Inspector Turrell's new wife, Eppie, must settle into a new life while her husband is totally preoccupied by the mounting number of deaths. The characters of the other members of the police team and of those on the periphery of the deaths are beautifully delineated so that the reader's concern for the victims is strengthened especially when their insight into the murderer's thoughts shows the possible dangers to those characters. The setting of the area around Stratford-upon-Avon gives an impression of that area's history.
There is a thrilling climax which ratchets up the tension to high levels. All in all an enjoyable read.
on 27 April 2015
I enjoyed reading this. The suspense was built up gradually, even though we knew who did what we're just waiting to see when the police will get it..
I recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers.
on 14 August 2014
Cover 4/5 - Picture matches the words and title

Contents - Met the author at Compton Verney yesterday and have started to read.

A 'who done it' when you know who the killer is from page one is quite a change. There were enough hooks to keep me reading through some slow parts in the first part of the book. Now the pace is flying at half time.

I read on

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!