5.0 out of 5 stars The best Carole Matthews yet - perfect Christmas read
I've read almost all of Carole Matthews books so consider myself a big fan. I loved how true to life Juliet trying to make Christmas perfect was, plus all the multi-tasking it involved. I also loved how the secondary characters were well explored. I was unsure about the wisdom of Rick's decision in keeping his secret friendship from his wife, but could imagine someone...
Published 20 months ago by SoozBuch

3.0 out of 5 stars I've just started this book directly after finishing the previous ...
I've just started this book directly after finishing the previous novel about the Joyce family, That Loving Feeling. I'm a bit confused about the timelines however. When we left them, Juliet was 45, the daughter Chloe was 20 and pregnant, Juliet and Rick had just celebrated their silver wedding. Now we've joined them four years on, Juliet is still 45 but her daughter is...
Published 2 months ago by CeeCee

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read!, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I read this book over Xmas and really enjoyed it. I live quite close to where the book is set, so could relate to it well, and actually found myself checking out the places mentioned in it. The characters are believable, stroppy girl, moody boy, busy Mum and Dad, mad grandparents etc...if you have a family like this you'll be sure to enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One!, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
This is a great feel good book. If you love Carole Matthews, and other writers like Jill Mansell and Milly johnson, you're guaranteed to enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
As a huge Carole Matthews fan, I settled down during the Christmas holidays to read this and it didn't disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and feel it definitely deserves a full five stars. I would love to write a longer and more in-depth review but I'm doing so on my new Kindle Fire which I'm still getting used to! So even though Christmas has now passed, I would recommend you give this book a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars just brilliant, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
It was just a lovely story, very gripping keep up the good writing and still suspense till the end thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncomplicated reading, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
Read all of Carole Matthews books so far and this one wont disappoint her followers.Nice easy read and very seasonal as it came out christmas time.You can also join her fan club which tells you when her latest books are due out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wow !!!, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant book just right for Christmas. Can't go wrong with Carole Matthews who never fails to deliver the excitement to get you in the festive mood.

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure, 18 Jan. 2013
Londoner (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Paperback)
I've read most of Carole Matthews books and on a whole, have found them warm, witty and engaging. This book however, I did just not enjoy. It was neither Christmassy or a page turner. Its actually too descriptive too, too detailed with the every day banal stuff, which I have enough of in my own life to want to read about in someone else's (albeit fictional). For example, I think I must've read several times with the mother saying she wanted to make her own Christmas pudding or mince pies! This is dull, and I got it the first time.

I also couldn't engage with the characters - her children are spoiled and need a good slap, the parents need to become more assertive and less wimpy. I just didn't find the family dynamics realistic. All in all, this is a let down with the normally good stuff Carole churns out. I struggled to reach the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic Festive read with all the trimmings, 21 Oct. 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I loved Wrapped up in You by Carole Matthews last Christmas so I had extremely high hopes for With Love at Christmas this year ( No pressure Carole)!

We are reintroduced to the characters we know and love from a previous book of Carole Matthews, That Loving Feeling which only made this book have even more of a warm cosy feel to it because of the familiarity to the characters. What I love about this group of characters and their story lines are that they are so down to earth that it often feels as though you are reading about the story of the people next door because it all feels so realistic.

I love all of the characters but I have to say on more than one occasion I wanted to throttle them mainly Chloe who quite clearly is used to having everything handed to her on a plate and finds it all too easy to expect her mum to babysit at a drop of a hat because her little boy is obviously a pain when it comes to her social life but then I equally want to throttle Juliet just as much for giving in to her daughter so easy which does Chloe no favours but having said that I still love both of the characters!

This is a perfect Christmas read and it gives you a real festive feeling. The family are building up to the big day and we get to be with them on a traditional Christmas day opening presents and sitting down to a Christmas dinner. There are many little story lines going on through this book involving each of the many characters and yet Carole manages to tie them all up and bring them together so they all come together to make a perfect read.

I think this book brings out every emotion from excitement to family troubles, heartache to romance. Oh and how can I forget the humour! There was more than one occasion where I found myself laughing out loud my favourite involving Juliet and the Kitchen table! Once again I find myself taking my hat off to Carole Matthews she really is the Queen of chick lit and doesn't ever seem to falter so thank you yet again for a fantastic read.

Looking for a traditional and festive story with all the trimmings then With Love at Christmas is the book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible horrible people. Hated it., 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to a nice bit of Christmas fluff but found most of the characters so obnoxious that I had to give up as I couldn't have cared less what happened to ANY of them. The only ones who were remotely likeable had a big tragedy affect them just a few chapters in, which also put me off.
The daughter and son in this book could have come from an article entitled What Is All Wrong With This Country. Jobless and refusing to look for work, expecting someone else to pay their way, look after the children (both physically and financially,) continuing to produce children with no stable relationship or means of support, sleeping with complete strangers. It wasn't as if they were loving towards their parents to balance out their behaviour. When I got to the part where the daughter ruined their first holiday in years and they came home to find their son in THEIR bed with a stranger (and their response was to go and meekly sleep on the sofa) - well I gave up.
I don't find it interesting to read about total doormats, who put up with absolutely foul relations because " it's faaamily".
Ugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Festive Fun, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: With Love at Christmas (Paperback)
This book has a real feel good factor & is tied together nicely with the Christmas theme.
Not standard Christmas chick lit but an amusing look at hectic family life during the festive season & culminating in the big day itself.
OK, some of the characters are not exactly endearing especially the spoilt grown up children but then again, whose family is perfect?
The main "stars" are husband & wife,Juliet & Rick & it's nice to have an older couple taking centre stage in a novel.
They have been together for about 27 years but still try to find time to keep their love life on track. The descriptions of Juliet trying to seduce Rick after her work's Christmas party were hilarious!
This is a great light hearted read & I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I was not reading it during the Christmas season.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›