Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 10 January 2013
Two women meet at a stall and are looking to buy the same vintage tea set. From that moment it is the formation of a friendship between them and, a third woman who is friends of one of the women.

Jenny is an excited bride to be, but hearing from her estranged mother affects Jenny more than she thought.

Maggie is a divorcee and has made a fresh start, only to find that the relationship she left in the past becomes part of her future and she finds her dreams and disappointments might change.....and perhaps for the better.

Alison is married with two daughters and apparently has it all, but appearances are not necessarily what they seem.

Through the book we explore the relationships, loves and fears of three women and their relationships. Not to mention the relationship the three of them build, all from the chance meeting at a car boot sale over a tea cup!

I loved this book, it had a charm about it, that could almost certainly be real and I wonder whether it was?
on 13 October 2012
I bought this book because I needed a 'chick lit fix' and I wasn't disappointed, in fact I finished it in two sittings.it was on a par with more well known authors,the characters were believable & their experiences relevant to real life if not a little bit too good to be true- but hey who doesn't need a little escapism from time to time?
A great read for a weekend away or a rainy day -I couldn't put it down.
This is my first ever review !
on 3 January 2013
All I can say is "What a charming book!". I read the book on my kindle but the cover displayed on Amazon was delightful and elegant and reflected the contents accurately.

Three women want to buy a particular Victorian tea set from the car boot sale, but instead of two of them being disappointed, they agree on a solution that benefits all of them. The women are different ages and live completely different lives. The story opens a window to each of their lives and it's not long before these women form a bond - not only with each other, but with the reader too. I loved all three of them.

I read this book when I was very busy and dipped in and out of it easily. The characters became familiar so quickly that I didn't ever have to turn back the pages to remind me about anything. I knew them.

I really loved this book. Each chapter flowed easily and I couldn't wait to read the next. It provided comfort and refreshment - just like a cup of tea!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a good, easy read. Only one problem - I'd love another book following the next chapter of their lives. Please Vanessa?
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2014
Have you ever been to a car boot or the like and gone to reach for an item only to find out that someone else has reached for that item at the same time? What would normally ensue is a bit of embarrassed apologising and probably no one ends up with the item.

Vanessa Greene has taken this idea but actually turned it on its head and everyone that wanted the tea set, gets to share it. In fact everyone becomes friends.

The everyone is Jenny who wants the tea set for her wedding reception. Maggie is a florist and organising flowers for a big wedding where there is an Alice in Wonderland theme and the bride has the idea of wanting the guests to be served from a traditional tea set. Alison wants them for her crafts she makes and sells, making the tea cups into candle holders.

They decide to share the tea set, they know that they can all use it and benefit from its purpose and at the same time make some lifelong friends along the way.

We know nothing of these three women, who are all so different but as the story unfolds we start to really learn about them as Jenny, Maggie and Alison learn about each other as their friendship develops and deepens.

Jenny is embarking on married life and is excited by the prospect but someone else wants to make themselves part of her future and Jenny does not seem ready to do this. Maggie is hiding from her failed marriage, but the past has a funny way of creeping slowly back into your life. Alison is happily married, it seems from the outside, but there are tensions within the family home and it looks like everything is going to be lost.

I was immediately drawn to all of the characters and as each chapter alternated between them in being the protagonist of their own story we were never left wondering what was happening to the other two as they were all beautifully integrated within. A book that draws on the strength of friendship and how anything can be shared over a nice cup of tea. If it is in a vintage tea set then even better. It was nice to read a novel which was more about friendship between the characters about how all their life's experiences are share and how women especially can grown stronger from such friendships.

A book which if you have that friendship already you will need to share it with all of your friends.
on 14 November 2014
I bought this book as I was attracted by the cover; I enjoy books by the likes of Joanne Harris and hoped that I might find Vanessa Greene a similarly clever and witty author.

The book kept me occupied for a few hours (I read it all as I had no other reading materials available on-the-move) but I found the story entirely predictable and sickly sweet. Greene also failed to satisfactorily tie up one large problem that one of the characters had; the audience were made to believe that suddenly everything had been miraculously solved: unrealistic.

If you want something easy to read after a long day at work, this will be fine, but I personally will be looking for more books with deeper, more believable characters and a more enthralling storyline.
This lovely debut novel combines the lives of three different women as they meet by chance and form firm friendships. Jenny is our first person narrator; she is browsing at a car boot sale in Charlesworth, an old market town in Sussex, and we share her delight when she happens upon precisely the items she has been searching for, a vintage teaset. Just at that moment, two other women swoop in who are equally as interested in the very same items. The three women decide to share the teaset, each making use of it in turn for their own special purposes, and from this unique beginning, their stories unfold.

Jenny is looking forward to her forthcoming marriage to Dan. As her plans move forwards, she is thrown by the sudden unexpected contact from a woman who has played no part in her life for many years, and she worries that her happiness could be damaged. Maggie is a strong, independent career woman, forging ahead after the disappointment of her failed marriage and Alison appears at first sight to be a happily married woman with two daughters, but things are never as straightforward as they might seem, for any of them.

One of the aspects I liked about the main characters in this novel is that the women are not all the same age, and they have different experiences of life. This brings an interesting dimension to their relationships with each other, across the generations. It was lovely to read how such a strong, supportive bond develops between the friends, and this friendship that forms isn't affected by this difference in their ages, for example when they share exciting news with each other; `A twenty-year age gap made no difference to our levels of girlish excitement.'

A favourite part of the narrative for me involves the history of the teaset and culminates with a perceptive comment which is made about life and love, how `As you get older you see that what you thought were little things, why they were really the big things all along.'

This is a sparkling debut novel. I really enjoyed reading it. It is an easy, engaging read with likeable characters, between whom a lovely, believable and supportive friendship grows. The characters develop and the women support and encourage each other to follow their dreams and be successful and happy. When times are tough and romance, family or careers are getting them down, they are there for each other to share the pain, and they celebrate this: `To new friends, a port in the storm.' Vanessa Greene paints a lovely portrait of female friendship across the generations. I would definitely look out for and look forward to the next novel by this author. I love the beautiful, attractive and very fitting cover design.

All that really remains to be said is for the prospective reader to settle back with a good cuppa (preferably in a pretty tea cup) and read all about these ladies and their ups and downs revolving around vintage teacups!

4.5 stars
on 6 November 2012
My daughter bought me this book and I raced through it in two sittings - the characters are lovely, and felt so real to me. It would make a lovely rainy Sunday read or a present for a sister, mum or daughter.
on 8 February 2013
A nice easy read with a few giggles along the way. Renewed my love of delicate teacups and handmade bunting
on 30 June 2014
This book has been lingering on my kindle for a little while – however with a follow up book coming out later this year with lovely enticing cover art I decided it was time to get acquainted with the ladies of the vintage teacup club. Telling the story of three women who meet at a car boot sale whilst searching for vintage teacups.

This book follows each of the women’s stories both together and alone, Jenny as she plans her wedding to Dan and deals with an unexpected guest she hadn’t planned for, Maggie who’s ex husband has just reappeared looking to ignite romance and finally Alison who’s struggling to adjust to her husband Pete’s redundancy and two teenage daughters.

It was a good read, written in that increasingly popular chic lit style with chapters alternating between each of the girls to move each story along whilst Greene also ties all the stories together with regular meetings between the new friends.

The stories are all engaging and each of the girls lovely to read about, the only thing I struggled with about the book was their move from virtual strangers to bosom buddies almost immediately, I tend to take longer to trust and for relationships to build whereas the girls were all sharing deepest secrets and popping round each other’s houses very quickly.

Putting that aside though it was a nice read, I’d like to spend and will spend more time reading the sequel Tuesdays at the Teacup Club. It was nice to feel that their stories won’t be ending and that there’s lots more to come from the characters.
With a tastefully produced, tempting cover, it's hard to resist the lure of the vintage bone china cups and saucers, prettily decorated and dainty to hold.

The tale of three ladies, Jenny, Alison and Maggie, who each fall immediately in love with the very same tea service that is sitting waiting in the back of a car at a boot sale, is a sweet idea, very much in touch with today's affection for a retro mood.

Quickly becoming friends they work out a solution and carry on to see each other through several challenging months. Projects involve preparing for a marriage, carrying out a complicated wedding contract for a flower business, and the offering up of a children's book for publication.

Relationships are challenged, trust is tested, loyalty held in the balance. It is fun, it is `chick lit' and it is at heart kind and life enhancing. For me it felt a little crowded though and kept me busy trying to remember who everyone was, so many extra characters pop up and frantically fill the pages.

I liked the descriptive passages of different lives, Maggie living alone in her own space, Alison coping with her teenage daughters and out of work husband Pete; Jenny working away at her job at a local paper while busily planning the big day, her wedding to Dan. She is inevitably experiencing last minute worry; and when a big wobble does happen, the casualties are unfortunately beyond repair...