5.0 out of 5 stars Good initial impression
Firstly when you register online with WD you get a 3 Year Limited Warranty and access to Acronis True Image WD Edition.

You can also download WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows but I prefer HDD Guardian. It is much more advanced, has a number of burn-in tests you can run, and gives you icons in your status bar showing drive temperature and health...
Published 21 months ago by Tee

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of region!
Published 8 months ago by Roger Heathcote

5.0 out of 5 stars Good initial impression, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: WD Red 1TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM (Personal Computers)

I copied a few Gb across from my WD Green to my WD Red and after 10mins all drivers were reading 26c. I couldn't hear the drives during this operation so they're pretty quiet.

HD Tune's Benchmark shows the following:

WD Red: AVERAGE 109 Mb/sec (MIN 63.2, MAX 143.1), ACCESS TIME 20.4ms
WD Green: AVERAGE 92 Mb/sec (MIN 51.5, MAX 123.0), ACCESS TIME 14.1ms

Anandtech compared this drive against the Seagate Barracuda XT 7200rpm. Basically they consume 15W when active (compared to Seagate's 20W). They're also good performers and there'll be no noticeable performance differences between these drives and 7200rpm drives in any sort of typical NAS configuration.

I would not say anything like "low power consumption" or "blistering speed" given the above figures. The power consumption and speed have both been seen before in other drives. Instead I would say "good BALANCE between speed, power consumption, and (hopefully) reliability". This is exactly what I want with all my drives, and if I could trade in my WD Green for a WD Red, I would.

These drives are fairly new on the market, so there is no good data on failure rate at the moment. I'll update this review when they finally do fail to let people know the lifetime my two managed to give me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of region!, 9 Nov 2013
I just checked the warranty status for this drive at wdc.com and it is "Out of Region". This means it was bought cheap abroad and imported which means its warrant isn't valid. Luckily my client only needs one drive and western digital are usually kind enough to transfer the warranty on an out of region drive if you, as an end user, contact their customer support and provide them with proof of purchase from your country. They don't like to do this more than once though so if you buy several drives you effectively have NO WARRANTY on hardware that is supposed to come with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY. The proper UK versions of these drives are available from ebuyer for a couple of quid more - I shall be buying from them in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silent, 4 Jan 2013
This was bought to fit a Netgear NAS - one of the many drives recommended by them to ensure the terms of their guarantee are kept. The drive has been running for a couple of weeks now (continuously). It's inaudible to me and and there's no sign of any vibration so, mechanically, it should last a long time. Why not five stars? Ask me again in five years time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, silent and vibration free., 22 Sep 2013
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought two of these to go into a Buffalo LinkStation 421E - Marvell ARMADA 370 1.2GHz ARMv7 , 512Mb RAM ,2 Bay Diskless NAS Device

These drives are specially designed to be used in a NAS. They operate at a lower temperature, they produce less vibration, and they are also designed to have a longer MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure)

So far they are very quiet, very fast, and have absolutely no vibration.

I really am very impressed with how fast the new NAS feels with these drives in it.

I use my NAS to store all my digital photographs. Most of these were taken on a DSLR in RAW format and have very large file sizes. When I open them they really do now just snap open instantly!

Having two of these disks in the NAS set up as a RAID 1 (mirrored array) also gives me at least some measure of data security in case of disk failure.

Highley recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 4 April 2013
I bought 2 of these drives to upgrade a Qnap TS210 NAS. The "RED" type is suitable for NAS service (24/7) and appears on the Qnap approved list. So far they are running perfectly well and are quiet in operation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Designed Specifically for NAS Storage, 25 Oct 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update: 27.10.2013

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.

2.0 out of 5 stars "out of region" so no warranty..., 13 May 2014
No problem with WD disks as I've used dozens of these with no major problems - unfortunately recently the last two that I have purchased through Amazon have both been "out of region" and hence no warranty from WD. Normally there would be a no quibbles three year replacement from WD ..... personally I'll be buying elsewhere in future, as a couple of quid more is worth it for the warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hard drive so far, 1 Jan 2014
I bought four of these for a RAID device and they've been running very well for several months. For the small additional cost it seems totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 Oct 2013
Great price, great read/write speed. Perfect for my NAS as we can have frequently have 3 people using it at a time

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hard Drives, 25 Oct 2013
I've bought 2 Western Digital Red - 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drives for NAS for my ZyXEL NAS. One of them was perfect run for about 1 month without any problem, and the other was just delieved today.
When I used Raid0,the speed is even slow than jbod, I don't know if it's because my NAS's problem or somehow.
Anywhy, it is a great and cheap hard drive for you 24/7 NAS.

WD Red 1TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM