5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!
Excellent packaging and prompt delivery!

Bought these to replace two failed Seagate drives ( won't be getting those again )

So far so good, installed in synology NAS without issue!

Update March 2014. All three are still working flawlessly in my NAS.
Published 19 months ago by Ayhan Dursun

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetence killed a good drive.. - UPDATED
Published 1 month ago by Purple Yoda

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM (Personal Computers)
Excellent packaging and prompt delivery!

So far so good, installed in synology NAS without issue!

Update March 2014. All three are still working flawlessly in my NAS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do its job!, 24 Mar 2014
I bought this drive to install into a HTPC. My HTPC can hold up to 6 3.5 inch drives to store movies, music and any other relevant media files so acts as a media server for the home network (as a NAS would).
I understand that this drive is intended for use in a NAS which is operational 24/7 which is not the case in my system so I cannot comment on reliability over prolonged periods. At the same time, reliability for storing large files (movies) takes priority over speed for my intended purposes so this drive seemed the ideal choice.

For those of you who are unsure between this and the 3TB Seagate Barracuda (slightly cheaper, quicker read/write speeds but shorter reported lifespan) I also own one of those installed in the same machine alongside the WD Red. All I can report is what the technical stats already tell you; the Seagate seems to spool up faster when accessing. That's literally the only difference in operation. The proof of the pudding will be lifespan and reliability but at the moment, both haven't missed a beat.

So to summarise, I have no issues with this drive for my uses. No dodgy noises, no read/write errors, decent access speeds when viewing the content via Windows. For the application it was designed for, it seems great so far. I have only awarded the drive 4 stars because it's still too early to confirm if WD's claims of reliability and longer lifespan are justified.

One final thing... Be wary of negative reviews about dead drives and early failures from other reviewers when shopping for hard drives. From experience, the people who make an effort to log on to have their say are usually the people who have a gripe, so that can sway the ratings unfairly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Designed Specifically for NAS Storage, 2 Sep 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update: 27.10.2013

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.

------------------------------------------------UPDATE 11/08/2014---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No issues or problems with these drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast but watch out when you register the warranty., 15 July 2013
Amazon Customer (South West Enland) - See all my reviews
The drive is everything that I expected it to be so far. I bought the drives to to in a Drobo 5N NAS box and the RED drives, which are recommended for this box, are fast. It is obviously too early to tell if they are reliable.

One heads-up that people should be aware of is the warranty. You get 3 years from Western Digital, and they have a dedicated customer support line just for the Red drives. Registering the drives online at their website is quick and easy, but in the case of the drives that I acquired via an Amazon Marketplace vendor it said "OUT OF REGION - Product is outside the region (Americas, Europe-Middle East-Africa, or Asia-Pacific) where it was originally shipped." What it means is that the Amazon Marketplace vendor didn't buy the drives directly from WD in EMEA, but instead sourced them from the Americas or Asia-Pacific. Luckily this isn't a big deal for a home user because your product is still covered by the full 3 year warranty, but you are limited to 5 RMA's per year for out of region products.

Are my 5 drives going to cause 5 RMA's in one year? I hope not! If you had 50 drives you may have an issue though as any good engineer knows the chance of drive failure increases in proportion to the number of drives that you have.

So buyer beware - get a product direct from Amazon and I guess it will be officially sourced. If you do get an out of region product from a Marketplace vendor you will still get support but there will be caveats.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT: WD Care Extended & Express, 30 April 2014
It appears you can buy the extended and express warranties separately on the WD website. £5.99 for the extended and £10.99 for the express, as long as it's within the first year of ownership. Just search "WD Care Extended" or "WD Care Express" on the westerndigital.com website. Note, I haven't done this yet, but I'm about to as these options are currently unavailable from Amazon UK.

I'm primarily interested in the express option - 1 year extra making 4 years coverage and a 24hr turnaround of a failed drive, so you can get your NAS array rebuilt and sured up quicker. I noticed on ebuyer that it says 2 years warranty with a 1 year extension, but I can confirm that the WD RED 3TB that I bought last month is now registed with WD for a full 4 years (they were available for immediate dispatch on Amazon recently).

I don't have much to say about the drive itself other than it seems well built, the NAS isn't complaining, the drive seems quiet and the packaging was perfectly adequate (bought directly from Amazon UK, not marketplace etc.). It's nice to see a product like this that seems well pitched between the home and full enterprise markets for SOHO/SMB. Giving it 5 stars as I've never had a problem with WD and the support and registration site seems transparent, if they're all still going in 4 years time then they'll have deserved it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetence killed a good drive.. - UPDATED, 18 Nov 2014
I ordered this drive, but after reading other reviews I went with shipping in certified Frustration-Free Packaging.. Riiiight. See picture for reference. No foam, no air bubbles, just some paper and the drive stuffed in between. It will come as no surprise, the drive cannot be recognized by my NAS (and it is fully supported as you can buy the enclosure with the exact same drives..). So all in all, Amazon has dropped the ball, the drive is visible in my PC but when I try to format it, returns an error = DOA! Oh, did I mention incredible vibration it was producing? Only after the replacement I realized it was the malfunctioning drive responsible for it, earlier I thought it was the enclosure..

UPDATE: After the initial complain and choosing a replacement, the second drive arrived packed in the original packaging in a small box with plastic holders on both ends holding the drive suspended, away from any edge of the box. This seem to do the trick as I am happy to report this drive appears to be in good health. To summaries, with any hard drive, always choose FFP but if you receive the drive packed any other way, request a replacement as it is more then likely, the drive is already dead or soon will be. I could change the rating, but decided against it, to make sure ppl get to read my review and be wary what to look for. Otherwise, the 2nd drive would get 5 stars. It's the experience that I have rated so low..

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Returned Drive DOA - Packing was a brown envelope ?, 16 Jan 2013
Length:: 0:08 Mins

Just Returned Drive DOA - It was sent in a tan bubble mailer envelope.

Just concerned about ordering another from AMAZON if the are sending out Hard Drive like this ....

1.0 out of 5 stars Packaging leads to early failure, 30 May 2013
**Update 3 weeks after purchase.

Drive has now failed. Looks like the poor packaging may well have contributed to it's demise. Amazon's service upon replacing it was diabolical too, I have had to take my business elsewhere. Whole episode has left a bad taste in the mouth. Will never buy a HDD from Amazon again.

*******************

Bought two of these drives now to go into my unraid box and they perform better than my hitachi 5k3000 drives which were my favourites until WD released these.

the amazon packaging leaves a little to be desired in my opinion but the drive arrived and works fine. it's currently undergoing a 7 day stress test before it enters my array.

i get around 140MB/s read and write speeds and the temperatures are in the lower 30s. very good drive, in my opinion worth the slight extra over the greens purely due to extended warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon shipped used drive, 13 May 2013
The drive Amazon dispatched (in a sealed box) had previously been screwed in to some drive rails and installed in someone else's system. Check carefully that you receive a new model from Amazon and the sides of the drive aren't scuffed.

The drive itself was delivered with no padding, which is rather worrying for the long-term health of the drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Woefully inadequate packaging = DOA Drive, 3 May 2013
When your drive arrives in a grand total of:-

One static bag covered by one cheap eco lite jiffy bag and one standard Amazon cardboard fold-over pack you know things are not hopeful for your drive.

Put me down for one dead drive (NAS recognises that there is a drive in the bay but cannot do anything with it). Its a shame as I already have one of these HDD's and it is great. However this was sent by a seller/fulfiller that knew what they were doing.

So back to Amazon for a refund this one goes. So a warning, if the description states Amazon frustration free packaging DO NOT RISK IT,

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM