5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Dark
Published 19 months ago by Book Angel Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Splintered
Published 18 months ago by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Dark, 2 Jan 2013
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Splintered (Paperback)
I am not going to go into details about the plot as you already know it is a re-imagining of Alice in Wonderland. I will say that the plot is deliciously dark adding a whole dimension to the world Lewis Carroll originally created. The imagery is mesmerizing, the descriptions coming to movie style life within the imagination. So vivid that you feel as if you are part of the story.

Taking the idea of descendants of Alice's being driven to madness unless they help rectify the mistakes Alice made in Wonderland was a stroke of pure genius. The parallels between the mental hospital and aspects of Wonderland re-enforced both original plot and the re-imagining. Alyssa's character development is the fundamental basis of the plot. Coming to terms with her ancestry, relationships and ultimately herself is what makes the story a masterpiece. The plot has a few surprises of its own that I am in no way going to tell you about ((I know I am teasing but seriously you need to read it or yourselves))

The most surprising and fascinating thing about Splintered is the romance and relationships within the pages. The soul-mate connection is in full force and utterly swoon-worthy. Yet there are moments of pure heartbreak that leave you reeling.

I don't know whether the use of the name Morpheus was a deliberate reference to the God of Dreams but it fit the character so perfectly, remember there is a good side and a bad side to dreams I think I may be a little in love with him.

The multiple layers of the plot and depth of the characters leave plenty of scope for further development. I would love to see separate stories for some of the other characters as well as an update as to the main characters after the end of this story.

Splintered is an utterly captivating story on so many levels and I am sure is set to be a classic in its own right. A feast for the imagination as well as the eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book as captivating as its stunning cover, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Splintered (Audio CD)
Caroline for [...]

Puberty is a difficult time for any girl, your body is changing, you are under the influence of raging hormones and plagued by acne, bloating, cramps, the voices of bugs and plants.... Nope, me neither. For Alyssa, her transition into womanhood also heralds the onset of her families curse. Ever since the Alice Liddel scrabbled out of that rabbit hole her female decendents have be stricken with serious mental health problems and fixations with Wonderland.

Having grown up witnessing her mothers descent in to madness and her resulting treatment within an asylum, Alyssa has learnt to disguise her anxiety about her cruel birthright and ignore the incessant voices. But a shocking incident at the asylum forces Alyssa to reconsider everything she thought she knew about her mothers condition, and instead of hiding from her heritage, Alyssa actively seeks out answers

From the very first paragraph we learn that Alyssa is no wall flower, no bumbling ditzy girl next door. She is fierce, strong, and in the words of her father, level headed and together. Taking creative revenge on her multi-limbed and be-winged tormentors Alyssa isn't one for sit around bemoaning the hand she has been dealt, hoping that someone will save her. Instead she takes action, throwing herself down the rabbit hole to face her fears and save her family.

It's not unusual for a YA book to suffer from a glut of love interests, sparking many a team X verses team Y debate, with each group zealously defending their selected beau. Many times I have found myself rooting for a particular outcome or a particular coupling. With Splintered A G Howard has me completely torn, with no clear choice.

On the surface these men couldn't be any more different in appearance, manners and temperament. Scratch the surface however and our good boy and bad have much more in common than initial appearances would lead us to believe. Both have dark pasts, history with Alyssa, and both see and accept Alyssa for who she truly is, even before she recognises it herself. They even share the same almost paternalistic, over protectiveness of Alyssa, although the motivation and the manifestation of this fault is uniquely their own.

I adored how A G Howard took a world familiar to many of us, and didn't so much re-imagine the story but create a spin off series to complement the original. I loved layering my experience of Splintered over my knowledge of the original Alice story. Comparing my childhood memories of the books and Disney movie with the naive and innocent recollections of a traumatized young Alice Liddel. Then discovering, along with Alyssa, the darker, uglier truth of Wonderland and its inhabitants. Familiar and yet unique, I couldn't help listening to just one more chapter, anxious to discover where Howard would take her story next, never foreseeing where the next twist or turn would redirect us.

The record quality was consistent with no skipping, repeats or weird changes in tone or volume. Narrator Rebecca Gibel did a fantastic job bringing the characters to life, capturing the creepiness and otherworldliness of the many supporting characters and performing the main characters consistently, each clearly defined by a unique voice, allowing the conversations to be followed without confusion. I particularly enjoyed the Billy Idol like British accent she created for Morpheus, it certainly added to his mischievous bad boy persona.

Verdict: A book as captivating as its stunning cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't have a bad thing to say about it.., 10 Sep 2013
This book.
THIS BOOK.

It blew my mind. It was mad and wonderful and beautiful and romantic and amazing and I loved every second of it. I was a little unsure of the characters in the beginning, but I learned to love both Alyssa and Jeb a couple of chapters in.

The writing is gorgeous. The descriptions are lavish, and Howard captured the essence of Wonderland perfectly. It is also one of the few "triangle" books where I don't pick a side; I loved both Jeb and Morpheus. The characters were damaged and broken, something that's fairly new to me in books, but I thought it was done really well and not exploited or dwelled on in the book.

The plot was so intricate and clever. I was confused at times - although this was intended by the author, no doubt - but it all came together brilliantly, and I definitely didn't expect everything to turn out the way that it did. It was just amazing. All of it.

What more can I say?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Splintered (Paperback)
This book was so much like what I expected and more! I couldn't put it down, I read it so quickly, and I could easily read it again. It's great to see a different side to the Alice in Wonderland story whilst also moving it on. Would recommend to anyone who likes to pick up a good book now and again, even if it's not your usual thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark and whimsical tale that makes us question everything about the Wonderland that we think we know, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Splintered (Paperback)
Can we all just take a second first to appreciate the gorgeous coverart - so stunningly beautiful....okay moving on...

(Although I do talk about various plot points during this review - including the ending, I do not reveal any spoilers and this review is safe to read for those of you who have not yet read the book)

'Splintered' tells the tale of Alyssa Gardner, a teenage goth-punk artist- who just so happens to be a descendant of Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration behind Carroll's original books. On the surface, Alyssa is just a normal girl, struggling with her identity, growing up into a woman, deciding what she wants to do with her life....but Alyssa isn't normal. She can hear the voices of bugs and plants - so could her mother Alison, and that's why she ended up in a mental institution. Struggling to maintain her sanity, Alyssa dims the whispers of nature around her by catching and using bugs in her artwork.

As Alyssa delves more into her affliction, she learns of a curse on the Liddell women, caused when the original Alice messed things up down in Wonderland. What we read in Lewis Carroll's tale was not entirely correct, nothing is how it was written. Like the long line of women before them, Alyssa and her mother are being driven insane by the curse, and when her mother's mental health deteriorates, Alyssa has no choice but to hunt for the clues that will send her to Wonderland - and fix all of Alice's mistakes.

Along with her best friend and long-time crush Jeb, Alyssa ventures down the rabbit hole, meeting the decpetive yet alluring Morpheus, who acts as their guide/puppet master in Wonderland. There is more to the relationship between Alyssa and Morpheus than first meets the eye, and as she carries out the tests set before her, Alyssa learns more and more about her past, and the secrets that have been hidden in her family for decades.

I love the darkness to this book. Everything we thought we knew about Wonderland is turned on it's head, skewed a little, and put back just a little off balance. We still recognise the elements that made Carroll's tale so memorable in the first place (the 'eat me/drink me' scenes, the walrus and the clams, the Red/White Queens, the Mad Hatter's tea party to name just a few). Everything is there - but everything is different.

I did find that the pacing varied slightly in places throughout the book. I enjoyed the beginning chapters, as Alyssa raced to find the entrance to the rabbit hole. Once she was in Wonderland however, I found that certain parts of the story dragged a little, and at times I found myself just 'plodding on' rather than being really excited to keep reading. Other parts shot by quickly. The characters often bounced from one crazy situation to the next, sometimes with little explanation, and I ocassionally found it hard to keep up. Towards the last third of the book, the story gained a satisfying momentum that paces nicely towards the final scenes.

Howard sets scenes beautifully with her descriptions. I love her emphasis on small details, including the fashion in the book. Her words help to create a visually rich tale that challenges how we view things, and fills our imagination with these sinister fairytale landscapes and inhabitants.

Let's talk about characters. The main protagonist Alyssa isn't the popular girl in school. She is the descendant of Alice Liddell, and thus the subject of taunts. She is an artist who uses bugs as her medium. She embraces the goth/punk culture and her dress sense reflects it. Her mother is locked away for being insane.... Alyssa has alot of problems, but she deals with them. I respect the attitude that she has. Alyssa tries to carry on regardless of the negativity - she uses her art and her fashion to express herself and is just trying to trundle through high school and make the best of the cards she's been dealt so far in life. In that sense, I find Alyssa to be very relatable and overall she stays true to herself and her descisions. She is loyal, passionate, and determined. There were certain parts where I felt as though she acted out of character (mostly around Morpheus), but of course she explains how he brings out another side to her - her darker side. I sometimes found it difficult to relate these two sides of Alyssa together.

Jeb is Alyssa's neighbour, best friend since childhood and secret crush. I have read alot of reviews of 'Splintered', and the general consensus is,...well - alot of hating on Jeb. I can see why people might see him as controlling, undermining and over-protective of Alyssa, whilst being in a relationship with the typical 'pretty rich girl' Taelor (Alyssa's arch enemy). His relationship with Taelor seems shallow, and we wonder what the deep, tormented soul of Jeb could see in her. I personally found Jeb endearing. His secret love for Alyssa and his attempts to try and hide it explain some of his actions, and I think he's just a teenage guy, in love with a girl that he thinks he can't have - and afraid of ruining their friendship spanning a childhood. I find his protectiveness and chivalry refreshing (call me old-fashioned?), and I just generally really liked him as Alyssa's loyal sidekick throughout the story.

Morpheus posed a challenge for me. Alyssa is drawn to him, and we see through suppressed memories that she has known him basically all her life. Through dreams, he has taught her all about Wonderland, her heritage and trained her for the mission she would inevitably face one day. There is more to Morpheus than the self-centred cockiness he portrays, but he plays his cards very close to his chest. Like Alyssa, I struggle to trust him. I do believe that he cares for her, and he has a softer side - but his decisions aren't always in her best interests, and sometimes it appears that he is manipulating situations to benefit himself. It becomes clear that Alyssa means alot to him, but I still struggle to like him as much as I think I should.

The other characters in the book all add to the story in various ways. 'Crazy' Alison has her secrets, Alyssa's Dad provides a comforting constant. Jeb's sister Jen is Alyssa's best friend and confidante (although her role is minor). I adore the characters in Wonderland. My favourites have to be the Twid Sisters. Half women, half spiders - there is an obvious nod to Tweedledum and Tweedledee - but these two are creepy mo-fos!! Sister One is fair enough, but Sister Two who guards the tormented souls of Wonderland is just plain terrifying. The scene in her 'lair' honestly frightened me and was the one part of the book that I could not put down!

I enjoyed the secrets in this book. It becomes clear that alot has been hidden from Alyssa in her past, and as she discovers more about who she really is, she begins to question in which world she actually belongs. I love a good mystery to any story, and trying to unravel the tangled web alongside Alyssa was fun for me - but confusing too at times. I didn't quite understand everything and felt that, on occasion, explanations were thrown into random situations, or rushed in order to hurry along the action.

I found Jeb and Alyssa's relationship quite cute, but sometimes frustrating too - as I wonder if he was SO in love with her, why not just tell her? Why wait until now? I also found their blossoming romance a little strange at times. From virtually non-existent to full on make-out sessions in the middle of Wonderland....like a few things in the book, it felt rushed.

Onto the ending (no spoilers) - the last of Alyssa's hours in Wonderland were a bit of a blur to me. Everything happened quite quickly and I struggled to make sense of the action sometimes. At a few points I really didn't undertand what was going on, but everything is explained and begins to make sense. I think that Splintered ended perfectly. A few of the loose strings were tied up, but others left open to a sequel , which naturally makes you want to read more of the series.

Overall, I did enjoy this book - although there were times when I found it slow. During the middle section I plodded along slowly, but my interest was contained enough to want to read on. The final third picks up drastically and at that point I couldn't put it down until I finished. I have already started the next book in the series - 'Unhinged' and I am really liking it - much more so than this one in fact. If you are a fan of fairytale retellings with a dark and macabre twist, a sprinkle of mystery, a dash of craziness, some paranormal romantic love triangles, and a host of fantastic creatures - then 'Splintered' is definitely the book for you.

Rating - 4 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars SPLINTERED, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Splintered (Paperback)
SPLINTERED is wonderfully unique, highly creative, and cleverly executed. The story isn't a straight copy of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and uses it only as backup. Alyssa takes us to an entirely new place, full of dark and terrifying creatures. The writing is stunning and the imagination is incredible.
SPLINTERED is packed with mad adventure. The twists were unexpected and really interesting.
The beautiful writing style reminds me of Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY series, so if you enjoyed WICKED LOVELY, I'd certainly recommend SPLINTERED. The breath-taking imagery and eccentric characters will appeal to Tim Burton fans.
I loved everything about SPLINTERED and highly recommend this deliciously creepy debut.

3.0 out of 5 stars Splintered, 4 Feb 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Splintered (Hardcover)
What if Alice in Wonderland wasn't just a story? What if Alice was your ancestor and she really did fall down the rabbit hole? What if Alice's journey through Wonderland resulted in a curse being placed on your entire family, a curse that has followed down through the generations and caused your mother and your grandmother before her to lose their minds? What if it's your turn next? This is a truth that Alyssa didn't want to believe but one that she is starting to realise is very, very real. Now she is faced with a choice, if she can fix Alice's mistakes her family will be freed from the curse and her mother will be well again. But is Alyssa brave enough to face a Wonderland that is darker and far more frightening than the one that Lewis Carroll wrote about?

I have to admit that the first thing that drew me to Splintered was the cover, come on that really is a stunning cover and I just had to know more about the story. Then I read the synopsis and realised that it was a new take on Alice in Wonderland and I was sold, that was one of my favourite stories growing up and I can't even tell you how many times I've read the original book. This sounded like such a unique take on the story and I couldn't wait to get started. From the moment I picked up Splintered I was captivated, I loved the way A.G. Howard has created her own story around the tale of Alice in Wonderland, she managed to create something unique while at the same time staying true to the original. Her writing was beautifully descriptive and I'm not sure if it's just because I'd watched the Tim Burton movie a few days before starting this book but I found it incredibly easy to picture the dark and twisted version of Wonderland that she portrays.

For the first 40% of the book I was in love, if I'd had to give a rating at that point it would have been very close to 5 stars. I was enjoying the world so much that I wasn't feeling irritated by the characters but unfortunately that started to change the longer I kept reading. In fact by the time I got to 80% I was ready to give up on the story, the only thing that kept me reading was the fact that the beginning had been so good. I kept hoping that it would hook me back in but unfortunately it failed to happen. One thing I will say is that I'm very glad it was a stand alone story, if I'd made it to the end only do discover a cliffhanger ending I might have done something stupid to my kindle in frustration. It's hard to say exactly where things started to go wrong for me, I enjoyed the beginning before Alyssa went to Wonderland, it was interesting to see how the curse had affected her family and the way Alyssa dealt with that. I also liked the twist with Alyssa being able to hear plants and bugs talking to her, the way she killed the bugs and then used them to create artwork was incredibly creepy but had me fascinated in a bizarre kind of way. I also liked the beginning of her trip to Wonderland, the way the characters were so different to the originals but still recognisable was great and I found myself laughing a few times at the interactions she had with everyone.

One of the things that really bugged me was the love triangle, it's no secret that I'm not a fan of triangles - they have to be done incredibly well for me to believe in them and not want to strangle all 3 of the characters involved and unfortunately that wasn't the case here. I don't think it helped that there were so many things to dislike about both of the so called love interests. First you have Jeb who has been Alyssa's best friend for years and is her secret crush. Now Jeb just happens to be dating someone else and the girl that he is dating takes great pleasure in bullying Alyssa and making her life miserable. Does Jeb say anything to his girlfriend and ask her to stop it? No of course not, Jeb would rather accuse Alyssa of being difficult and tell her she needs to try harder to be nice to his bitch of a girlfriend. That didn't exactly make me think highly of him but it just got even worse when he starts acting so possessive over Alyssa. He is dating someone else for crying out loud - what right does he have to tell Alyssa what to do? The fact that they end up kissing when Alyssa isn't even sure if he has broken up with his girlfriend didn't impress me either, I really can't stand cheating in novels even if it is only a kiss! I just couldn't understand why Jeb constantly treats his best friend like a child and his behaviour really irritated me, if my best friend treated me like that I'd quickly start to consider them my enemy.

The other love interest is Morpheus and although he was obviously the bad boy I found myself more drawn to him than Jeb. I still didn't think he was someone that Alyssa should get involved in but at least he was upfront about the fact he couldn't be trusted. From the very beginning it wasn't hard to tell he was keeping secrets and that he had plans for Alyssa that weren't going to be in her best interests. I couldn't understand why she was so attracted to him though, I just didn't feel enough of a connection between them and found him far more creepy than sexy. I think my main problem with the story was that the plot seemed to really slow down towards the end of the book and I started to get bored, if the page length had been cut down then I'd probably have enjoyed it more. I tend to be a very tolerant reader and enjoy character driven stories as much as action based ones but in the case of Splintered the action seemed to stall without anything else taking its place.

Splintered wasn't the worst book I've ever read by a long shot but after such an amazing start I had high expectations for the rest of the book and I just don't think they were lived up to. I do seem to be in the minority when it comes to this one though because I've seen so many fantastic reviews for it. I would say if you're looking for a unique twist on Alice in Wonderland that is even darker than the original then it would be worth checking this one out. I will definitely keep an eye out for more from A.G. Howard in the future because she already has very a strong writing style and I think she has a lot of potential,especially considering this is her debut novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Splintered by A G Howard, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Splintered (Hardcover)
Guys, I'm disappointed. Given the hype surrounding this book, I was expecting a retelling of epic proportions. But that's not what happened at all, and I ended up getting ridiculously bored halfway through and I was so close to just skimming it.

Things I Liked:

- Howard's writing style. There's no denying that the author has a great writing style. The descriptions of the setting were amazing, and they really made me feel as though I was there with Alyssa, both in the real world and in Wonderland. It was vivid, and I adored it.
- The beginning. Captivating, enticing, fairly unique... The first third of the book was everything you could want. It captured me from the very first page. I remember thinking "YES, I am going to LOVE this" after I had finished the first chapter. Howard introduced the world and the mystery surrounding Alyssa's heritage really well, and I couldn't wait to find out more. The initial scenes in Wonderland were also awesome, and I loved how the author mixed up the characters a little bit to make them unique to this story.

Things I Hated:

- The love interests. Nooooooooooope. To begin with, Jeb is a complete idiot. In the beginning of the book he decided to hide his feelings from Alyssa and date a girl who bullied her. I can't remember his reasoning for doing this, but what the heck kind of reasoning could that be? And to add to that, he's controlling. He kept telling Alyssa what to do, and it annoyed me to no end. No, Jeb, let this FMC be badass and tell YOU what to do!

And then there's Morpheus, who is so freakin' manipulative that I don't even know why Alyssa spoke to him, or even acknowledged him. He kept things from her, and it was obvious that he was out to manipulate her from the start. He's also really creepy, and there was a point where he and Alyssa had some weird orgasm thing by touching their birthmarks together. Yeah, I don't even know.

But this didn't stop Alyssa from kissing both guys. Why would it? It's not as if she's a strong, independent female after all.
- CHEESE. Reading this book felt like I was watching a Stelena scene at times. The lines, the characters' actions... "Be my skater girl again." Really?
- Boring last two thirds. I struggled to get through it, I really did. After Alyssa and Jeb reached Wonderland, I was ready for some awesomeness. I mean, the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter and the Caterpillar must all be there in some shape or form, right? But no. After Alyssa spoke to the talking flowers and met up with Morpheus everything went downhill. If only it was all as good as the beginning.

So... yeah. I didn't love it. Splintered is bordering on two stars for me, but since I enjoyed the writing style and the beginning so much, I decided to rate it as three. But... yeah, it was dull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surreal, inventive, and absolutely mad in the best possible way!, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Splintered (Paperback)
As a huge fan of Lewis Carrol’s Alice stories as well as Tim Burton’s wonderfully dark and visually spectacular adaptation, I knew I had to read this! A. G. Howard conjures a Wonderland easily as mesmerising as Tim Burton’s in a dark retelling of the familiar tale that more than does justice to the original!

Alyssa Gardner is used to people making Wonderland jokes around her – everyone knows that she’s the great-great-great-granddaughter of Alice Liddel, the girl whose tales inspired Lewis Carroll to write the Alice books. But a name’s not the only thing she inherited: the family is cursed with hereditary madness, and it’s already claimed her mother. Alison lives in an asylum, claiming to hear bugs and flowers speak to her, and Alyssa knows it’s only a matter of time before she joins her mother, because she suffers from the same delusions. Or so she thinks.

But an inexplicable series of events leads her to question whether the curse is really insanity, and whether there is some truth to the tales of Wonderland. Soon, drawn by a mysterious voice, Alyssa has to take her own journey down the rabbit hole to break the curse. The problem is, she accidentally drags her childhood friend Jeb, on whom she has a secret crush, along with her.

They soon discover that the original Alice saw Wonderland through a child’s eyes, and the real thing is darker and more twisted than Alyssa remembers. She has to face killer flowers, outwit an octobenus (a walrus-octopus hybrid!), and meet the mysterious Morpheus, her lifelong dream-companion and friend of the original Alice. The writing is as beautiful and intricate as the gorgeous cover illustration, and Alyssa’s journey both echoes and twists the original in imaginative ways. The constant war between her desire to break the curse and her desire to give into her impulsive ‘dark’ side keeps the reader turning the pages to find out how it all plays out.

All in all, a fantastic debut! I strongly recommend this book to fans of Lewis Carroll’s wacky, mind-bending Alice books as well as anyone looking for a book that’s a bit surreal, inventive, and absolutely mad in the best possible way!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Splintered (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic, I can vividly remember all of Alice in wonderlands adventures and caught again the excellent telling of the age old story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›