5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun
I really enjoyed this unique book and would recommend it to anyone, especially those interested in Africa/Australasia or considering going travelling themselves. Carolina writes with humour and honesty about the journey she made and her lively personality really comes across. Buy it now!
Published on 14 Aug 2012 by Clare

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many exclamation marks!
I gave up 13% through as the abundance of exclamation marks got on my nerves! There are too many! At one point there were 5 consecutive sentences with exclamation marks! I also found myself skipping over long stretches of text.
Published 14 months ago by Bumble

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun, 14 Aug 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many exclamation marks!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mint Tea to Maori Tattoo! A Unique Backpacking Experience. (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 25 Aug 2014
A very interesting account of travels in the middle east, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and French Polynesia over a twelve month period. Good details of the places visited and fellow travellers met. My only slight criticism was too much detail about the authors spiritual aspirations, became a bit long winded and detracted from the real reason for reading this book which was to discover the places and traditions visited. A minor moan, but overall a worthwhile read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most untrained people can't write., 18 Mar 2014
Nice cover picture belied the content which, to me, was utterly boring. So I gave up after the first few chapters..

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be so much better, 22 Jan 2014
This book is written in a very infantile stilted way using overlong sentences, possibly because English is not the authors first language. There are a lot of spelling mistakes regarding names of Egyptian Gods and Pharaohs (eg Amum, Ramses) etc, and a lot of exclamation marks as previously mentioned. She constantly resorts to patting herself on the back for embarking on her trip which becomes very tedious and repetitive, but gives no details regarding what was eaten in any of the countries she visited or about the group of people she was spending a lot of time travelling with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and interesting, 19 Nov 2013
Although I always notice bad spelling and grammar, I must admit the constant use of exclamation marks, as pointed out by a previous reviewer, did not bother me at all. In fact I would congratulate Carolina on her writing, particularly as I don't think English is her first language. So many books are very badly written these days, which is such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal travel writing at its best., 13 Sep 2013
A wonderful well writen travelog. Very personal, yet factual and interesting for the general reader. I thought it would be a book to dip into - I couldn't put it down. A very good read.

1.0 out of 5 stars i gave up, 29 Aug 2014
I did preserve with this book for a while before finally given up. life is too short to read this. i'm sure it will appeal to some readers, just not to me. It's far too self indulgent for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those rare life-changing yet entertaining books - loved it!, 20 Dec 2012
Jamzi (NW England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I am trying to "read my way around the world" since I don't have the money to travel around it myself yet. The first thing I was looking for in a book was that it covered some countries I had not "virtually been to" and the clincher was that the kindle version cost 77p so I thought it was worth a gamble. My 77p paid off big time as not only did I cover a lot of countries through this book but it was a really stand-out good read too.

This real life memoir is about a single woman in her late twenties who goes backpacking around the world for a year, I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this book and for the first few pages I found it strange to get used to the writing style as it doesn't quite follow the normal formula travel writers use of the "daily diary with lots of comedic waffle" style, I was also distracted by the abundance of exclamation marks at the beginning, after a few pages though I really got into it and truly loved this book. The countries travelled through include Turkey, Greece, Syria, Egypt, Ethiopia, Australia, New Zealand, Malawi, Kenya, Jordan, Sudan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, French Polynesia and probably a few others I forgot.

Carolina has a very interesting way of story telling where she managed to pack a lot of factual information about the places she visits into entertaining yet concise stories and as the book and her trip progress I felt her mental shift as she shared the philosophies she was learning through her journey. I have read a lot of travel books in this genre but this is one of the most interesting because of the way the author combines real information, humour and self-help. I also feel this wasn't just entertainment as it has also given me some new things to think about in my own life.

"Mint tea.." also offers a complete story and you can tell the book has been carefully crafted and edited to make it a good read, a lot of travel authors are quite lazy really and just publish a kind of diary/memoir but this is very neatly packaged and I enjoyed the way the writer is looking back so she can add other interesting information she learned after she was home to complete the stories.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised by this cheap, unheard-of book and if Carolina publishes any further travel books I would snap them up! I also think this is worthy of a much higher price so at 77p it is a total bargain. I only give books 5 stars if I would like to read them again and this is definitely one I would read again. Since I finished it yesterday certain phrases and images have sprung up in my thoughts a few times and I will be reccommending the book to my friends. What a great book!