on 30 November 2012
Hifi is small and compact and very good looking. It is absolutely tiny, yet it has ample connections, so it can be connected to virtually any device. Sound quality is excellent, provided you use a different set of speakers to the Denon ones provided, which do not demonstrate it in the best light.
Instantly connected to airplay with no setting up. The inbuilt internet radio can be slightly temperamental (it's also quite slow to load up), so i prefer to use tunein radio app on my iphone which connects to the device wirelessly and has no problems. I was originally going to buy Sonos play 5, but I am glad I chose this instead, as the Sonos is simply no match in terms of sound quality to this hifi. Overall, it's a brilliant device, and would thoroughly recommend.
55 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2013
The system looks good despite being all shiny black plastic.

Streaming FLAC and MP3 from my NAS over WiFi works well. Sound quality is good. Lots of power. It seemed to be a bit heavy on the bass initially, but as the speakers loosened up the sound quality has got better.

Where this device falls down is Internet radio. Often it will report "Connection Down", will not start playing the station, or will stop playing the station midway. I generally connect to BBC Internet Radio stations. Thinking it might be WiFi I connected this up to Wired, directly into my Virgin cable 20Mbps cable modem. I still have Internet Radio problems. Oddly the Roberts Radio Internet radio in the kitchen with WiFi has no problems with connectivity. Similarly I have no issues streaming Netflix videos at 720p over my Internet connection. This devices biggest weakness is that it does not recover from Internet radio streaming problems well. Often it just stops playing. You have to go back to favourites and pick the station again and it will start playing again. I reckon the buffering and timeouts need adjusting in the firmware.

I wish I had bought the more expensive Ceol with FM Radio, because given the poor Internet Radio connectivity issues this one becomes a bit of an expensive paperweight.
on 10 August 2014
All network features worked well for several months then just started to fail. Only working feature that is not beset with problems is Airplay. Getting any response from Denon is like getting blood from a stone.

Unless you have Airplay available products, give this system a very wide berth.

Three stars from me just because at present the sound and volume while using Airplay are more than ample for me. Will not be buying a Denon system when I do replace tho.
on 8 March 2013
This is a good sounding little unit and very good value for money. However if, like me, you buy it hoping to use the Airplay feature make sure your internet is not coming through a BT Home Hub. The BT Home hub does not support Airplay believe it or not and the only way to make this feature work is to replace your router! There are many complaints to this effect on the web and the Denon helpdesk confirmed this to be the case. Denon told me that they have raised the issue with BT with no success. BT blame PACE as the manufacturer of the router and PACE blame BT's software!
on 8 February 2015
Sound quality is great, remote control works well for the basic functions (but at times the interface hangs), searching Spotify is a pain (the loss of LastFM and BBC online radio is a disappointment).
The real problem with this device is the rubbish IOS and Android app and since the appeal of having my phone control my sound system isn't functional I'll be giving up on the Ceol.
on 29 June 2015
Its good but the bass is lacking a bit. Listening to my main hifi and the bass really but here it is light. With headphones on it is almost non existent.
Has rave reviews . Its okay but not hifi quality. Hazel O'Connor's Will You on my hifi you can really hear every nuance of the sax and her wispy vocals shimmer across the soundstage. Here it is missing somewhat.
on 31 March 2014
I first tried Mackie Studio Monitors and various other integrated systems but personally, this system is a clear winner. I love internet radio, indie rock and most other systems are either to clean/bland/lack character (Mackie) or are too heavy on the base, losing the mids/highs. This system is shockingly good and working unexpectedly easy. Set-up really only takes minutes and the sound quality is stunning at this price.

Notwithstanding BT fibre optic internet, internet radio connectivity keeps cutting out. On my computer, I usually change streaming settings to allow the system 30 seconds of buffering. The initial delay of 30 seconds is well worth it as there are hardly ever any interruptions when watching bbc inlayer etc.

Unfortunately, so far I haven't been able to get this to work as well on the Denon unit. Obviously connecting it directly to the router gets around the Wifi weaknesses. The Wifi problems are not the responsibility of Denon and that's why I stand by my 5 star rating notwithstanding the glitches. Hopefully someone smart at Denon can get this issue fixed with the next firmware upgrade.

When the unit is not let down by Wifi issues, it shines like a very strong HIFI unit. I used to spend closer to a thousand pounds to get similar sound quality in the past so the engineers and techies really deserve credit.

This is a real gem.
on 15 August 2015
Looks good, rarely wins.

No use for me.

Android app incompatible with it.
Internet radio very flaky and intermittent.
Spotify premium required.
Plex media server works well, but interface very poor. A £10 Now TV box is a better Plex client.
on 5 July 2014
Excellent little system. Good connectivity and good sound. For the money it is very satisfying.
on 13 March 2015
My partner loves this, best birthday present ever, powerful qualify sound.