5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic Denon
This unit was purchased as a small (desktop) CD player/amplifier which would also take the input from the computer and be used to play mainly classical music. It had excellent press reviews and recommendations.

Published on 26 Jan. 2013 by Old Timer

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect
Published 8 months ago by Scotsman

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic Denon, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Denon RCD-M39DAB Micro Component CD Receiver System - Black (Electronics)

Feeding a pair of Q-Acoustic 2010i speakers (also chosen for their small size), this unit seems to meet the need well. It's not the highest of Hi-fi, but really very acceptable.

Details not in the description/specification which may be useful to potential purchasers are (in no particular order):

> A printed Getting Started manual is supplied in the box, with the (very good) Operating Manual on a CD in numerous languages.

> A timer function allows you to set it up to lull you to sleep and to wake you up in the morning. This sort of thing is commonly available on home stereos these days but in all truth, I've never been tempted to try ...

> An indoor aerial is supplied for FM/DAB reception. This seems to be a bit of a compromise: we live very close to the transmitter (a couple of hundred yards) but can get good reception of only about 15 FM and DAB channels. I suspect there is some shadowing of the signal as we live so close, but if you need to get more radio stations (we don't) you may want to consider a better aerial. The radio pre-sets are relatively easy to set up once you get the knack and can be a mixture of FM and DAB, there are not separate lists for each. For me, the basic radio needs are met from BBC Radio 3 and 4 (on FM) and Planet Rock (on DAB). All of these I can receive well.

> The iPod input allows you to select to use either the iPod's or this unit's controls; I don't know if this is usual for this type of kit, but it's useful as you can for instance use the iPod search tool. You can use an MP3 player as well, but the play order is the usual rather limited 'order in which they were recorded'. You can modify this though by ripping one or more MP3's to a series of folders on the player, the play order of which can then be selected. I can't comment on the compatibility with more recent digital formats or iPhone 5 etc

> For audio CD's you can program the play order of tracks directly. I have not experienced the noisy CD drive noticed by other reviewers; mine is very sweet.

> There is a subwoofer output on the back panel, useful as most small speakers these days need a bit of help below about 60Hz. I have connected mine to the sub. unit left over from the computer speakers that this unit has replaced. I made up a special cable to parallel the stereo input of the sub. to the mono output from the Denon.

> The clock is not displayed when the unit is at stand-by, I guess this is to reduce the power consumption in this mode, but if you want it as a desktop clock (as I half did) you'll be disappointed.

As for quality of sound, I think it is excellent for a unit in this price bracket. Orchestral and piano pieces play very sweetly and brass has a nice crackle, just right for classical. I haven't tried jazz yet, my guess it will be excellent but I may not use it for rock, as my set of active computer speakers (of the 'boom and tizz' variety) are actually quite good for that. The court is currently out on that one: I'll play a bit more rock and see - may be I'll change my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 Sept. 2012
The Denon RCD-M39DAB Micro
I bought this product before they were available on Amazon to replace my older large HiFi. It sits on the lounge dresser and was relatively easy to connect up, (this is the first HiFi I've set up myself, usually my son does it for me) I tuned it in, good instructions if you have a computer, I would have preferred written ones instead of PDF, but then as I'm in my 70's it's not surprising. The sound is great, both from the cd and via the USB, I use my memory pen from my computer to listen to music. I had heard that DAB might not work in my area of North Wales, but it works beautifully, both the cd and radio are very clear, the music is the best I've ever heard, tone, bass and voices, this is probably due to the speakers which I bought at the same time, the Q 2020i. I also bought the cable and banana plugs for Amazon, though found I didn't need the plugs, the 10m cable was enough for my setup. When reading other peoples reviews on similar products, they say it took 10 mins to setup, I took over an hour, but as I was going to and fro to read PDF on the computer and was anxious not to make a mistake, it's not surprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Denon DAB Receiver is great, 27 Nov. 2012
E. Ralph - See all my reviews
This is an excellent receiver, well made and solid. The DAB radio is brilliant as is the CD reproduction. Very detailed musically and gives a BIG sound. I bought the unit without speakers as I already had a pair of Denon-badged Mission bookshelf speakers which work perfectly well with this receiver. Another great piece of HiFi from Denon. Happy to recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class and quality with superb sound, 24 Feb. 2013
Before seeing this I had been looking at several hi-fi systems both in-store and online, and every time I was disappointed to find that many of them a)were not highly rated, b)had only AM/FM radio and no DAB, and c)did not have analogue output connections for external equipment, in my case a minidisc deck (yes, I do still have one!). And then I saw this, liked the look of it and was surprised to learn it can be bought seperately without speakers, which is helpful as buying the complete package would cost even more.

I think you know what comes next.

Everything about this unit is superb. The thing that impresses me most is that I can do with this what my hi-fi seperates (that this unit has replaced) couldn't, in that iPod connectivity and playback is possible via the handy USB connector (nice but would have preferred an actual iPod dock), that plus it works well with the speakers I retained from my previous set as they were still in good condition. It's worth knowing that if you use your existing speakers with this system, they must be at least 6 ohms or more to be compatible (mine were 8).

Whatever your music choice might be, whether it's classical, pop, rock, jazz or country, it will sound great on the CD player. The radio is easily tunable and is up and running from the moment you switch on for the very first time - I live in quite a strong reception area for DAB, so no problems there. FM is good too, and handy if you want to listen to your local frequency of many networked independent stations, i.e Heart or Smooth Radio, if you prefer not to faff about finding the right one on DAB. Add to this a simple to operate and easily navigable remote control, and you've got a hi-fi that's not only value for money but sounds great and good to look at.

One thing puzzles me however, and that's why Denon felt it necessary to provide the instructions for use on a CD-ROM instead of the usual printed manual. This is no good to somebody who buys the unit and doesn't own a computer, so surely it would have been helpful to provide the latter. Grumbles aside, this is a serious piece of kit and worth looking out for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect, 22 Jun. 2014
I bought the Denon as part of a speaker package. It has lots of useful features, including USB input (works with any standard memory key), DAB radio and a single analogue input. Regarding the latter, if you connect a turntable you will need a phono pre amp as the Denon does not have one - a shame. The overall sound is smooth, clear and punchy - through Dali Zensor 1 speakers in my case - without being too bright. Both vinyl and CD sound fresh and detailed. Luckily I had no problems with the noisy CD mechanism that other reviewers mentioned.
The remote control works well, although a slight bugbear is no presence of an eject CD button; you have to do it manually. The biggest drawback is limited control of bass and treble. This is done by a stepped process via the remote rather than a rotary control, which would give far better choice of EQ. The bass boost sounds muddy to me, unless of course you opt to have a subwoofer. All in all a pretty good buy but the limitations above reflect the price point. Worth considering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Noisy CD Mechanism Problem, 8 Mar. 2013
Paul T (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews and after much compariosn decided on the Denon DM39 DAB. This is a nice compact Hi-Fi that takes up very little room and is ideal for a living room or bedroom. I have it matched with a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers and it sounds fine.

It is loud enough to annoy the neighbours and produces more than enough bass to ensure tracks are faithfully produced. The remote control is rather long with an unecessary amount of buttons in it for such a small system but the buttons have a quality, solid feel so should stand the test of time.

The only thing to be aware of as other reviewers have pointed out with this system is that it does have a problem with the CD drive when playing CDs. There is a very annoying high pitched constant tone that comes from the actual mechanics of the disc spinning, which means playing CDs is pretty much out of the question. I find this very, very frustrationg and can't underdstand why Denon hasn't spotted this themselves! This is quite unbelievable from a company that prides it's reputation on quality! For this reason I can only give this unit a 1 star as it is not fit for the purpose of playing CDs.

If you are after a system to play CDs on then look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy and intrusive CD driver mechanism, 5 Dec. 2012
Purchased this product after many recommendations. However, whilst it may be fine to play digital music or for DAB radio, if you plan on using it mostly for CD use, beware. When playing CDs at low volume or with quiet classical music, there is an intrusive noise from the CD driver mechanism. It appears to be a design fault as I've tried several sets and they're still the same. I can't for the life of me understand how a supposed audiophile company can produce such sub-standard engineering; even my old Sharp stereo had a quieter mechanism!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 23 Aug. 2013
Great value and quality to match. Easy to set up and use. We hooked it up with some 50W ceiling speakers and the result is a great overall system.

5.0 out of 5 stars All in one bargain, 19 Feb. 2013
Mr. P. J. Muir (Weymouth, Dorset) - See all my reviews
For years I have been into good quality separate's and in that time have had some great systems that gradually were upgraded. This was my first foray into a single unit system which I wanted for use in a smaller room. I have to say I am amazed at the quality of the item and the incredible sound it gives. How Denon can do this for the price I have no idea. I have compared it to some separate's that on paper should beat it hands down but this stands its ground and against some systems double or more its price beats them.
I have had no problem with any obtrusive noises from the CD transport as some have described nor any background noise when using dab. I have it partnered with Dali Zensor 1 speakers using Chord Rumour 2 cable.
Sat here now typing this I am still amazed at the quality of sound, which has depth, clarity, weight and excellent dynamics. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality., 1 April 2013
Having got rid of my beloved hifi seperates I needed a micro replacement, the Denon was the obvious choice. Having read the many complimentary reviews, I ordered the Denon, it arrived within 2 days. Removing the unit from the box, it looked and felt like a quality piece of kit. Connecting it to my existing JBL 1 micro speakers via the chunky speaker pillars, I inserted a cd and pushed play, the sound was surprisingly crisp and full. The dab radio is useless using the the supplied wire dipole aerial, so immediately ordered an external aerial, once erected all the stations were found. The dab is superb and so much better than fm, with all the track info at hand. The remote is a descent size, so all the functions are found easily. My only gripe is a lack of bass from the tiny speakers so my next purchase is a Yamaha subwoofer, utilising the subwoofer output.
Overall an excellent buy for £190, the great thing is we are now listening to radio instead of watching tv, Smooth 70's has been on continuously since it arrived.