4.0 out of 5 stars A heart-warming read
I've never read a Karen Kingsbury book before "The Chance", which a friend lent to me. I'm positive it won't be my last.

Published 8 days ago by blessed

3.0 out of 5 stars Held my attention...
I must admit that I don't usually choose to read books with an overly Christian theme, not because of any strong religious objections, but past experiences have shown that sometimes these books can be a little too good to be true.

So with an open mind I read The Chance...

Published 16 months ago by jaffareadstoo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart-warming read, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The Chance (Paperback)

Karen Kingsbury writes very emotionally, transporting the reader right into the story. I could really identify with many of the various characters' feelings. I actually kept welling up - a lot - while reading "The Chance". You'd be wise to have a box of tissues handy when reading this book.

I didn't think the story line was very realistic though. Or rather there were a few...hmm, let's say there were a few rather convenient turns too many for my liking. I know it's a book of fiction and it probably wasn't even intended to be overly realistic. It's just that I like to think events could be real when I read a book. I'm not even sure why that is but there you go.

However, having said that, I have to admit that I didn't mind too much in this case. After all, as unrealistic as it all may seem, the events could still have occurred because "...with God all things are possible" (Matt 19:26). In human terms, the incredibly happy end isn't very likely but by God's grace it is possible. And that's good enough for me.

"The Chance" is encouraging and heart-warming. It leaves you feeling happy and warm and encouraged. So on that note, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real tear jerker. Very moving, 3 May 2014
This review is from: The Chance (Paperback)
Absolute page turner. My first book by Karen Kingsbury and shall definitely be buying more. Let my faith slip a bit but, as well as a gripping story, brought me back to my faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Presumptions are not always true!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
The chance was a beautiful story by Karen and perhaps her best work yet. I enjoyed that she wrote a story that more or less mirrors Christian attitude and behaviour especially when someone falters. I also enjoyed the way she exposed the message of reconciliation and forgiveness. I enjoyed how she unearthed the truth that our presumptions about how people think and feel about us are hardly ever true. Thank you for sharing this story with us, I am looking forward to reading your new book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Kingsbury is a wonderful author. Her books are always a joy to ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
Karen Kingsbury is a wonderful author. Her books are always a joy to read and an inspiration on the daily walk as a Christian. God is honoured and the story lines are always very real - no sugar coating, just the very real ways in which our lives get messed up, and how Gpd can use every situation to the ultimate good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Held my attention..., 1 April 2013
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Chance (Paperback)

So with an open mind I read The Chance...

The Chance opens in Georgia where Ellie and Nolan, as young teens, share their hopes and dreams, and agree to leave a bundle of letters under the ancient oak tree, to be opened some eleven years into the future.Their lives will take very different paths, some obstacles along the way will seem insurmountable and yet ultimately, love and forgiveness will prevail.

The writing style is warm and accomplished, the characters are believable with faults and failings , just like the rest of us, and I must admit that Christian references aside, the book held my attention throughout the story.

I can well understand that Karen Kingsbury's army of fans who devour these books will find much to cheer about in this latest offering.

And as a one off experiment on my part, I am glad of the opportunity to read something a little bit different.

5.0 out of 5 stars The chance, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book couldn't put it down God's the God of the second chance and his ways are not our ways they are greater

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping Kingsbury novel :), 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this. I always get gripped by a Karen Kingsbury novel and this did not disappoint! Have recommended to several friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
My star rating is because I love Karen Kingsbury as an author. I am a Christian so appreciate the love between the different people in the book. I find it difficult to put the books down when I start to read them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story Line, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Chance (Hardcover)
I was waiting on the release of this book for while because after reading some of Karen Kingsbury's book, I was expecting something really good. I must say this book lived up to my expectations. Wonderfully written and story that will capture your thoughts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of second chances, 9 April 2013
This review is from: The Chance (Kindle Edition)
As always, well written and a good read, however, it was unusually predictable right from the start which let it down slightly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›