4.0 out of 5 stars Hoping to build foot strength
I've only had these shoes since last weekend, so this is only an initial impression. I decided to buy them after being told repeatedly that my soft padded shoes are the cause of my regular injuries. I took them out for a five mile run on Chasewater which is a good mix of trail, gravel track and occasional tarmac.
I found them quite slippery on the tarmac, which I...
Published 13 months ago by D. Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof
I bought these mainly because they are supposed to be waterproof. Two weeks in wet grass and they were no longer waterproof. What it should state is that they are light shower proof. Desperately disappointed as I like Merrell footwear but I can no longer believe what it says it can do.
Very stiff also, not ideal for running.
Published 4 months ago by DHP

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoping to build foot strength, 8 Nov 2013
D. Williams "Dave-the-rave" (Northamptonshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I found them quite slippery on the tarmac, which I hope will fade as the trail studs wear down and get rougher, but once I was onto the more trail-like surfaces they settled down and gave me a confident foothold. I also semi-deliberately tested the waterproofing (the mud puddle was too big & I gave up trying to get around it) and am pleased to report success. There was a hint of dampness by the end of the run, but compared to the drenching my other shoes provide it was a revelation.
Equally important: although there is far less padding than I'm used to, I suffered no ill effects either during or after the run. Now I just have to see if they prevent injuries in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for myself., 12 Jan 2014
Great fit for someone with wide feet like myself,very comfortable and warm,nice stiff sole unit,would definately recommend them.
Graeme from Aberdeen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof, 13 Aug 2014
Very stiff also, not ideal for running.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Shoe, 5 July 2014
Sizing is good, delivered quickly, nice trainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant through the cooler/wetter months., 27 Mar 2014
I bought these to wear daily as I was sick to death of the usual brand trainers falling to bits in a few months. I walk about 3 miles a day when I go to work and also use them when I go mountain biking and walking in all weathers.

10 months later and these still look BRAND NEW. The only signs of wear are to the sole. Worn tread from the mileage I've clocked up. I've never had any footwear that has aged this well giving the punishment they get, quite amazing actually.

These NEED to be broken in. I almost sent them back at first as they rubbed and felt far too stiff however thing loosened up and became more comfortable a few weeks in. Just persevere, it's worth it in the long run.

One other thing to note other than the break-in process is how HOT your feet get in these. Absolutely not suitable for summer. I bought these in June, and quickly bought a second pair of summer trainers because these Merrels were just too hot, as soon as the cold and wet weather retuned these were a blessing, warm and dry.

Absolutely the best pair of trainers I've owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to buy another pair, 18 Mar 2014
Absolute delight to wear, lightweight & comfy, straight away they felt worn in, plenty of grip and they seem more than durable

4.0 out of 5 stars Wet feet no more, 7 Mar 2014
Good shoe, was what I was looking for as someone who is always on their feet in a range on environments and get up of getting wet feet. My only issue is that the shoe seems to be a little narrow so comes up a little small but not enough to be an issue

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for son-in-law, 3 Jan 2014
Having bought them for my husband last summer I knew these shoes were extremely comfortable & had to be bought half size bigger than normal. They arrived & fitted perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 25 Nov 2013
Delivery was excellent, item arrived very quickly.
I bought them for outdoor activites.
Good:
-great looking
-good quality build
-waterproof (had no problems with staying dry in rainy weather)
-good grip on natural surfaces
Not so good:
-they are a bit too narrow to my liking (I have wide feet)
-a bit too stiff for running shoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 15 Oct 2013
Good fit ,well made and comfortable .I bought as a general purpose casual shoe for dog walking and anything outside