5.0 out of 5 stars For the love of rhyming slang!, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
The plot is ridiculous, most of the characters are mad and it's set in the dodgiest part of town - what could possibly go wrong? Once you're hooked you can't put the book down, because it's impossible to anticipate the next turn! The characters are an explosive mix and come to life through the authors lovable indulgence of language - it all sounds authentic and so East London that it manages to fully pull into this fast paced world of pirate-cockney-mockney-FBI-shennanigans tand makes the real Olympics look a bit lame.
I loved the plot and the characters, I probably missed half the film-related jokes, but I'm completely infatuated with the language and how alive the story comes. Well done, old china!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in Maryland, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
A great read! I heard about this book through a friend so decided to give it a try.

Its a fast paced story with a few great twists. The characters are really well written; I'm sure I've met some of these people before in the pubs and fried chicken shops in Stratford !

Dot Gumbi perfectly captures the atmosphere of pre-Olympic Maryland. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Engaging Fun, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
This book is a blast. The tale of Oscar's war against cockroaches mushrooms into a tangled plot embracing the Olympic Park, the FBI, a Pearly King and bunch of landlocked pirates.

The characters are perfectly overdone, each one a caricature of someone you might still meet in the East End. That goes for the police interviewing Oscar as well.

I'm guessing Dot Gumbi might just be a pseudonym, which was probably a wise decision, especially if the author lives in Maryland Point.

The movie references throughout are a treat for film buffs. The video shop here is where "Be Kind Rewind" should have been set.

All in all, it's just fun, and we all need more of that these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, worth a read, 16 Aug 2013
A rip-roaring adventure with cockneys, 'mockneys', lawyers, police officers and pirates (among others!). The story twists and turns and keeps you guessing and there are laughs a'plenty along the way. It was hard to put 'The Pirates' down once I got lost in the story, and I really got attached to some of the characters. A good gift for anyone into blokish comedy fiction; Ben Elton, Doug Naylor and Douglas Adams all came to mind while I was reading it, and that's not faint praise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forego that pub visit for once and read this book. Or better, take it along., 20 Dec 2012
Alex (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Have you ever heard of Far-Fetched Fiction? If you do, you will probably know only its father: the talented author Robert Rankin.
Few, if any, have ever enjoyed reading such Fiction written by someone else. If you're a connaisseur (like me), you might have taken
for example some Spike Milligan writings, but that would likely be the best (or worst) of it.
A while ago, though, I found out about a young author who had finished his first work of Far-Fetched Fiction not long before.
Suffice it too say that I got interested and ordered a printed edition right away.

And I don't regret it.

Granted, it isn't perfect: there were a few little errors in the text. Not that there are many, and they are definitely in the gnomish department,
but to a reader these can be quite annoying, distracting you from the story. My advice would be to ask the greatest nitpicker from friends or
family, and promise a pint of his or her favourite pub's best - for every error found. After all, there is a reason publishing companies hire
such people. You may appreciate, by the way, that Dot Gumbi takes his readers very seriously and fixes anything you may find -you
can tell him personally. Fandom was never closer too.

But please don't get me wrong here. As I said, there aren't many and definitely not too bad. It's a personal thingy.

The book definitely deserves more readers. I've enjoyed every page - the plot is unlike anything I've ever read. There are some original jokes, and
the overall atmosphere fits the story. It can be truly far-fetched at times, but that's just bloody good value for money. After all: Stretching
plausibility is what Far-Fetched Fiction is all about.

It's not yet a Masterpiece - for that, the author needs to practice by writing more books.
And yes, I'm saying that beacuse I'm already eagerly awaiting the next one.

It's pretty safe to say I can heartily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, witty and hilarious, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
The title was enough to intrigue me (being a resident of East London) but a story about Pirates? Treasure under the Olympic Park? Pearly Kings? From the moment I started reading, I was hooked.

The protagonist is Oscar, one of those sarcastic but lovable characters who at times, lets his mouth can get him into a lot of trouble (but with hilarious consequences). His quest to destroy his infestation of cockroaches leaves you as frustrated as he is and wanting to nuke them yourself!

The characterisations are superb and in a very short space of time you find yourself immersed in their colourful and crazy lives. What really stood out for me in this novel was Gumbi's ability as a storyteller. He cleverly makes you feel like he is personally sharing this hilarious tale with you. A true breath of fresh air from the many overly description and disengaging novels I have read of late.

The story moves swiftly with plenty of twists and turns along the way which keeps you engrossed and constantly wanting to know what happens next? The humour is sharp, witty and just plain hilarious.
Dot Gumbi is certainly one writer to keep an eye on. Great read and pure comedy gold! Loved it.

Suzi Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Pirates, cockroaches, the Olympics - believe it or not, they're a great combination!, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
The Pirates of Maryland Point is a bizarre book, a weird book, a definitely off-the-beaten-track book but I love it! It's well written with extraordinary but somehow very real characters, most of whom I'm sure I've met at some point in my life, just not all together! I perfectly understand Oscar's obsession with cockroaches and to me, obtaining 'junior anthrax' from ebay to get rid of them doesn't sound too drastic. Throw in pirates, the olympics, the FBI, a Pearly King and a pub that doubles as an embassy and you have a wonderfully entertaining read! I'm looking forward to Dot Gumbi's next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud daft., 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Pirates of Maryland Point (Kindle Edition)
Very well written in a natural and easy flow. Just my level of daftness. Having read pretty much everything Robert Rankin has written I was looking for someone in a similar vein. Might just have found it. Only reason for four stars and not five is I feel there is more to be told.

The Pirates of Maryland Point