TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 July 2014
This only arrived this morning. The colour change thing is the best of the many colour-changing/light-up kettles we've had so far

Initial impression is good.

The plastic stench was indeed disgusting on first boil, rinsing wasn't helpful so I rinsed it out again HOLDING THE FULL KETTLE UPSIDE DOWN AND SWIRLING IT AROUND to try and wash out the top of the kettle as well as the bottom as I suspected that this was not getting properly rinsed by simple fill, swirl and empty procedures.

I repeated this half a dozen times, over the sink.
The plastic smell has completely gone and there is no plasticky taste.

VERY fast boil, too.
Green, then blue through purple to red. Far out, man!

Will add more when it's been used for a reasonable period.
on 8 March 2013
Even after 10 boils we have not managed to get rid of horrible plastic taste. Other reviewers also mentioned same problem. Bought it on looks, but returning because it is not fit for purpose!
on 3 January 2014
I've had 1 of these kettles for many years and after trying several other kettles because of the costly price of these, I stumbles across this one on Amazon :-D
The original one I had used to irritate me at boiling point, as despite its lovely colours, the lid used to pop up! I'm VERY pleased to say this has been addressed by Breville and the new model no longer does this. The new one doesn't appear to have the keep warm function either but this is no big deal for us.
The colours seem brighter then my old model and after being left for several minutes or so the illumination part switches itself off so won't be wasting energy if you leave it plugged in all day.
I'd recommend this kettle to anyone.
In respect of the bad taste people refer to, I personally have a sensitive palate but find that if you do as the manufactures recommend and boil the kettle a fair few times before using it, that the taste disappears. I boiled the kettle about 10 times with fresh water for each boil before attempting to make a hot drink and we've not experienced a bad taste with the kettle whatsoever.
.....go on, give it a try, with Amazon's excellent returns policy you have nothing to loose, especially at the price of £34.99!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a little dubious about a kettle that lights up like a Christmas tree, afraid it would be a little too kitsch, but having received ours and tested it on a few house guests it's been a great success.

The fun thing is that the lighting changes colour, from blue to red, as the water heats towards boiling; which means you can tell at a glance how much time you have before it is ready. OK, the red colour arrives a little late, so it tends to be purple when the water boils, but if you're doing lots of things in the kitchen it is still surprisingly handy. The plastic area that lights up also offers a nice, large viewing window to the water level inside (the lighting actually helps too).

The kettle itself looks great, whether lit or not - a nice object to have on the counter. The base of the kettle is round, so you don't have to fiddle with the orientation when putting it down. The lid has a catch to avoid it from accidentally opening.

Inside the kettle the base is flat with a slight recess, but the heating elements are hidden. This is to help reduce the build-up of lime scale. I wondered whether this would have an impact on performance, since the surface area might be reduced in respect to exposed elements, but this kettle is very powerful and boils very quickly.

It is a surprisingly large item with an impressive capacity; heating a large pan full of water for pasta or vegetables can be done in one go. The down side of this is that the kettle takes up quite a bit of space, especially as there's a healthy reserve of space above the maximum fill level. This might be there because when it gets the water boiling it really gets it splashing around it there.

So, aside from the bulk there are only good things to say about this kettle; it looks great, creates a surprising amount of conversation and has lots of useful, well thought-out features.
Highly recommended.
on 28 November 2013
This kettle is great to look at, especially with all the different colours it displays during and for about 20 mins after use, it boils efficiently, and with the minimum of water, it saves electricity. The only minus point this kettle has, is the tcp or bleachy after taste when boiled, after 2 weeks, I rang Breville, and they suggested that we 3/4 fill the kettle, boil the water then add a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda, and leave overnight, then rinse thoroughly, fill and boil water in kettle, and throw away water twice, then it will be okay, we did that, and it was after taste was gone, seems a bit of a hassle, but was worth doing. I would recommend this product, but you have to go through the procedure above before you can use daily.
on 18 January 2013
this kettleblooks fab when its on itsnao colourful but after using it now for 3 days the taste is horrible, metallic taste.. my son is 4 weeks old and worried its affecting the water i use in his bottles so i think i will be sending it back..
on 15 October 2014
Looks good but only lasts about 3 months before it starts to leak. We have had it replaced 3 times by Amazon and have now decided to buy a different make as you can't be unlucky that many times.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My beloved One Cup finally stopped working - well, not exactly, the lid of the kettle started to spring up as it came to the boil and it was too dangerous to keep using, so a new one was needed and when I was offered this one I jumped at the chance.

Breville is a company which I associate with good kitchen products and I was happy to receive it.

The first thing I did was rinse out the kettle and wipe it out with a clean cloth in order to get rid of any contaminates that might have been left in the kettle during and after the manufacturing process. I then filled the kettle, boiled it and threw the water away 5 times (more than is recommended but I wanted to make sure that the kettle was contamination free).

The kettle stands on a 360 degree base. This means that you can have your kettle where you want it rather than having to have the base in a particular position in order to use the kettle and see the water level window (as I had to with my one-cup).

The water level window is large and is on both sides of the kettle so you get a clear view through the entire kettle. These windows light up and change colour as the kettle heats up and cools down.

It has a concealed element so if you have heavy water you should no longer get those horrible white/grey flakes in your drinks.

The kettle comes with a removable, washable filter (replacements can be purchased from Breville if you can't find them in the shops).

Overall the kettle is aesthetically pleasing and it is very quick and quiet. I have been using this for about a month and I am extremely pleased with the kettle.
on 8 May 2013
I really don't know how this item has got through the full 'product to market phase' at Breville HQ without someone noticing a fatal flaw for a kettle - it makes the water taste horrible!

I bought this kettle about 6 weeks ago and unfortunately, from day one it gave a bad taste to the water it boils. I would describe this added flavour as being 'plastic(y)'. I innocently thought that this would disappear after a couple of weeks worth of daily use but it didn't. After finally getting fed up with not enjoying my morning cuppa, I decided to look at other customer reviews to see if I had just been unlucky. Alas, many other people have complained about the exact same thing (not only here at Amazon but also other distributors). This product really ought to be recalled by Breville.

It has taught me a useful lesson - always read the bad reviews before purchasing. Be aware that of course not everyone will always be 100% satisfied (sometimes things do break) but if there is a recurring theme then maybe you should think twice before purchase.

Incidentally, I replaced this with a Breville Crystal Clear Jug Kettle which works without added flavours and also looks pretty cool.
on 27 April 2013
I have had this kettle for 5 years and it has been amazing. My friends always compliment me on its funky colours.
I'm having to replace it though as after 5 years of intense use, the switch on button has become temperamental and only works when the kettle is in a certain position. It still does the job though.
I'm buying it again. Very good sturdy kettle with smart design.