Format: DVD|Change

on 4 February 2015
Detailed and from a different perspective than straightforward chronology
on 20 June 2015
Very happy with product. Highly recommend. Speedy efficient service
on 10 November 2014
Like his other DVDs and books, very informative and well presented.
on 22 September 2015
I think the narration was superb and the subject was fascinating.
on 7 August 2015
Very enjoyable series. Very well done. Highly recommend it.
on 8 October 2015
A very interesting view on how we got to where we are...
on 10 June 2015
Excellent programme well dramatised and interesting
on 4 November 2014
Looks like a good DVD for Christmas for my husband?
on 25 November 2012
First, to deal with the other reviews.

The chap who gave it 1 star knows so much about Eratosthenes, Da Vinci and the pilgrimage of 1324 that I wonder if he was actually there for all of these events (although if he's a personal mate of Eratosthenes, the old Greek might be annoyed that he's forgotten how to spell his name). Anyway, Mr 1-star certainly knows more about all of this than Andrew Marr. How wonderful to be so well informed - one wonders if the point of his review was to tell us how much he knows.

The review with 2 stars notes that Mr Marr misses out a few bits and that the series is of no assistance to teaching history unless you already are very Knowlegible (sic) in the subject matter. I suppose to include all of world history would take a few more DVDs and the box set would be too big to go under the Christmas tree. When he says "I am speaking ass a person who likes history", is it just me or does anybody else think there's a word or two missing in there?

The truth is this: this series is the opinion of one man (and his researchers); it's informative entertainment, not a history lesson; and yes, it misses out a few bits of the last few millennia. If you can forgive all this, it's fantastic. 5 stars.
on 30 November 2012
For someone that doesn't want the minutiae, this is engaging spectacular and gripping stuff! I love it, I really wanted to know about world history in overview, my passion lies elsewhere, but this is fantastic!! And now I can talk about my new knowledge ;)