5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Changer
This has been a game changer for me - I have suffered with low level depression for most of my life starting from teens well into my adulthood, alongside this I have experienced bouts of PMS and the effects have been debilitating in all aspects of my life, relationships, health and career.

This has boosted the effectiveness of the other complimentary therapies...
Published 9 months ago by Young Soul Rebel

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - shame about the content
This is a well researched book written by an experienced and accomplished nutritionist covering the connection between mental health and what you eat. You think what you eat? - well not quite. Julia Ross asserts the concept that insufficient minerals and vitamins (health foods) cause symptoms of mental illness and who would disagree with that? However, not everyone has...
Published on 18 Nov 2003 by ColdR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Changer, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mood Cure (Paperback)

This has boosted the effectiveness of the other complimentary therapies that I use in order to manage my emotions. So far I have been able to give up coffee, I have slept better than I have in years and I feel a sense of genuine enthusiasm.
This isn't a one size fits all cure either, and the great thing has been the change in diet alongside the amino acids and 5htp. I've felt a real shift since I've begun trialling the book and recommendations and am thankful as my attempts to resolve things previously with conventional help failed and left me feeling worse than ever.

I finally feel like I have a sense of balance and control in my life once more and I can only thank this book for helping me -it's been amazing. It doesn't mask moods, or create false euphoria it has just made life manageable and it's not just one sad feeling all the time. I feel really good and now experience genuine moods instead of false ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but could be better on omega 3 advice, 30 July 2009
This review is from: The Mood Cure (Paperback)
This book has helped me lots with my depression and I can safely say that because of the book I have come off antidepressants. SO many thanks to the author for putting the information about vitamins and amino acids (in particular) out there. Having moved on from the book and reading other natural ways to deal with depression and while still taking my aminos of course, I now look back and wonder why the omega 3 section in the book is not further clarified regarding the balance of EPA and DHA. Taking omega 3 on its own did not improve me or my depression (which I have had for 20 years) but pure EPA made a big difference. There is good books and research written on the use of EPA to treat depression but I won't name them here while you are reviewing this book. SO buy this book but don't expect it to be the end of your quest for a cure - it sure can get you closer though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life!, 23 Jan 2004
This is a fantastic book if you are looking to boost your mood naturally without resorting to medication. It also advocates a higher protein, lower refined sugar diet, and gives useful tips on nutritional supplements which can reduce your carb cravings, eg, an amino acid called L-Glutamine. As a result of reading this fascinating well written book, my mood is 100% better and i have lost 2 stone ( around 13 kilos). It is chaptered so you can dip in and out rather than read the whole thing at once. I definately reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this book 10 stars, I would., 9 Feb 2012
A. Reader (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mood Cure (Paperback)
This book was a revelation to me. So many things were explained which I hadn't understood before. Julia Ross has poured a huge amount into it, and I found it absolutely riveting when I first read it. Now, I've internalised so much of it that I feel I've known it for years and am always happy to bore friends, family and clients by parroting it back to them. It feels like Ms. Ross has handed over the keys to the kingdom; she must have helped so many people over the years.

Okay, I'd better return to the book itself. It's a manual for understanding the physical causes behind various moods, or 'false moods' as she calls them, together with extremely practical methods for dealing with them. (What is shocking to me is how many people must be low on the various amino-acids she mentions. Pretty much everyone who smokes, drinks a lot of alcohol, gorges on food, takes drugs, drinks a lot of tea or coffee falls into that category, which leaves just a few saints among us). The book asks, why do you do it? Is it to relax you, to stimulate you, to pacify you? The answer to questions like those gives you a clue to the amino-acids you may be lacking, which are well covered and explained. The book is astonishing value for money, as it's more like a tool kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good, 3 Sep 2008
I am very surprised at the negative reviews below. Please don't let them put you off. This is a truly outstanding book and is intended to help people suffering from real, deep and intractable emotional and mental problems.

Julia Ross is a true pro, working at the front line of mental health care for several decades. This is a book that brings together her hard won knowledge with that of many, many other experts in the field. There is a also a decent amount of scientific research at its core.

Compared with the extrememly poor care offered by the average clinical psychologist or psychiatrist (they essetially offer only drugs or cognitive behaviour therapy) this book heralds the beginning of a revolution in mental health care: at last some people are beginning to recognise that there is a REASON why you (or a friend or relative) is suffering such serious problems with mood, emotions and behaviour. At last there begin to be real solutions which are wholistic and effective.

Julia covers all the main issues - anxiety, depression, OCD, addictions, mood swings and the generally feeling awful and unstable that so many have. She explains why it is happening and which food and supplements to correct it. There are easy to use questionnaires which guide you in understanding which TYPE of depression or anxiety you suffer from and thereby tailor the solution.

Be warned, her solutions are a VERY long way from the general advice just to eat healthily. This is hard core scientific solutions. And a lot of back up with very specific recommendations for amino acids (to make all those neurotransmitters that regulate mood - dopamine, serotonin & GABA) and vitamins and minerals which are used in specific high doses as medicines.

The solution requires work and commitment. But ultimately it is highly workable and simple in structure. And it really changes lives.

Julia Ross opens a door and throws open the windows on a room in which so many feel trapped. No more decades of incomprehensible misery. I use this book in my practice and buy copies in bulk to give to my patients. It is an outstanding introduction - written in an engaging style but with a good strong foundation in science. A serious book that nevertheless invites everyone in.

As a response to the negative reviews below, Ms Ross does indeed take a dim view of vegetarianism - but a) this is a small point in a large and rich book and b) she has this view born of years of experience. A high protein diet is necessary for people suffering emotional health problems because protein is the source of the neurotransmitters which will ultimately cure the depression, anxiety etc. Some people are genetically predisposed to need more than average. Protein is also important for blood sugar stabilisation - unstable blood sugar being near universal with any eating issues, carbohydrate cravings, sugar addictions, much anxiety and mood swings. I find I need to give most of my vegetarian patients protein supplement powders (whey, pea, rice protein etc) before I can build up their programme of recovery further.

In summary a very good book to start your journey. Of equal excellence (in some ways superior) and more scientific in its approach (the emphasis more on neutraceuticals supplements than diet) is Depression Free Naturally by Joan Larson. Don't be fooled by the title - is covers all major issues including very serious ones like schizophrenia.

Additionally, anyone with serious emotional and mental issues should buy Gut and Psychology Syndrome - that gut toxicity is highly involved in much illness is now beyond debate and at least 45% of my patients need help with their gut before they can properly recover. This book will explain how and why.

Good luck and whatever happens don't give up. There are answers to your struggles. The Mood Cure and Depression Free Naturally will be a good start. Add in the book on Gut and Psychology, Adrenal Fatigue, a good book on the thyroid and maybe something on mercury toxicity. A great deal of mental suffering can be alleviated with these interventions. Have faith - a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You will be taking the first when you buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Mood Cure: Take Charge of Your Emotions in 24 Hours Using Food and Supplements (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the kindle version and can honestly say it is one of the best books I have read on nutritional solutions for mood problems. The chapter on the Adrenal glands convinced me to finally send off my salivary cortisol test kit and it turns out that I have low DHEA. I couldn't recommend the book highly enough and have read it 3 times in the past few weeks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Mood Cure (Paperback)
This book is AMAZING. As a psychotherapist working amongst statutory settings, I must say I can really see the limitation of 'standard treatments' or CBT, and conversely the power of nutritional therapies. Julia Ross's dietary guidelines are in line with the currently popular Paleo/ Low Carb Diet, which I personally see as legitimate. For those who feel like they are in a deep dark tunnel have exhausted every way out, I strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but it works!, 5 Dec 2007
I don't know if the other people reviewing this book have actually been crippled by rogue moods, or even tried the recommendations in this book, but I can tell you that it works!

I really didn't think I could cope the rest of my life the way I was feeling, and my doctor just seemed to think I was some kind of sad nutter. So I gave this a go, and feel fine now. Not wonderful, but definitely more stable. I have been using the recommendations cautiously, have seen results, and can attribute the change to nothing else.

The relief is sooo overwhelming. Now I am just disgusted and furious that doctors do not address the imbalance of hormones that lead to people finding life an impossible struggle every day. The medical profession should be thoroughly ashamed of itself - it lets down millions of people everyday, when the solutions (or even just possible solutions) are so easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely worth purchasing!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mood Cure (Paperback)
Julia speaks about so many common problems most people face. Her view and understanding of human nature and moods is educated and relatable. I have been using the supplements she advised and it's worked wonders for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars food for thought, 22 Jun 2011
I read this book as a spin off from waist management by DR J Briffa, he actually reccomended this book, while its a bit hard initially, perceverance wins and it opened my eyes! good read and deservedly one I'll use often in my work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›