5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A gem of sense.
This book is a gem!

Published 23 months ago by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Good message, a little flimsy on the evidence
I liked this book for its positive parenting approach and friendly writing style. There was nothing in it that I disagreed with and I did learn a few useful ideas for calming holds and strategies to use with my newborn.

I've only given it 3 stars because I felt it was a little flimsy. There is plenty of hard evidence out there to support the author's parenting...
Published 13 months ago by stargirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A gem of sense., 1 Oct 2012
This book is a gem!

When I was pregnant I was nervous about what to do and how. I bought a baby book by a different author, misled by the title into thinking it would teach me how to make my child happy. I remember my husband commenting on my contorted facial expressions when I read about bizarre rituals where the day was broken into 20 minute slots dictating how long I bath my baby, how much milk I should express and when, when I eat my breakfast, and specifically what I must eat.

Unsurprisingly it turned out the author of that book had never had children. It went in the bin, so no one else could read it.

Baby Calm is the delightful antidote (written by a mother of four) and I so wish it had been published 6 years earlier!

Every parent should read this book if they want sensible advise on how to deal with becoming a parent and the needs of a newborn, while maintaining their own calm and sanity,

If you're going to be a parent, you need this.

5.0 out of 5 stars As much MotherCalm as BabyCalm!, 24 Mar 2013
Creep (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the book I wish I had read before I had my daughter. I buy it for every pregnant friend now! Although it is full of excellent baby calming tips based on current research evidence, the main message that comes across from this book is allowing new mothers to trust their instincts again when it comes to parenting, resisting the notion that the baby trainers way of enforced routines and strict parenting guidelines is the only way to raise a child. As a midwife I wish I could give a copy out to every new mother on discharge home! You won't regret purchasing this book. I simply cannot wait for the ToddlerCalm book to be released later this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this book to every new mother!!!, 5 Oct 2012
As an antenatal teacher, preparing new parents for life with a baby, this is the book I have been waiting for. I will recommend it to every new parent. Finally someone talking some sense and encouraging new parents to trust their instincts. What we now need is a companion copy written for dads because (like most parenting books) this is primarily aimed at mothers and in order to support women to be the mothers they want to be, her partner must be on side with her decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found this book earlier!, 8 Jan 2014
This book has to be the first, (or one of the first) baby book written for parents which uses the science of baby brain development as its foundation.This gives parents evidence-based information upon which to make their parenting decisions, rather than, so called 'experts' personal opinions. It helps parents to see things from their baby's point of view, taking into account what their baby is actually developmentally capable of.
The book is written in a friendly, easy to read style, and is full of mothers experiences written in the first person. It covers all the things new mothers are concerned about, sleep, colic, reflux, crying, etc.
BabyCalm was a revelation to me, for the first time someone had expressed all the thoughts and feelings Id been having about looking after babies, plus much more. Although I was cosleeping and breastfeeding on demand, I felt constant pressure and worry that it was somehow wrong. BabyCalm reassured me, by informing me about normal baby and toddler sleep, and finally I felt confident that I was doing the right thing.
I only discovered this book with my third child, how I wish I'd had it for my first and second too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all parents-to-be and new parents, 29 May 2013
This is a refreshing change to all the `Baby experts' that are published. I feel the book flows very well, the language used is easy for people to understand taking the reader through all the common worries that a parent may have. The personal experiences help the reader to apply the information provided to a real and common situation. This is a book that can provide reassurance and give the reader the confidence in themselves and their baby which seems to be lacking in other parenting books. This book provides great tips and myth busting information. It is a book which normalises life after birth. As I was reading the book my main response was `Yes, Yes, Yes'. This book should be given out at the booking in appointment in my opinion, and we would have a lot more relaxed and instinctive parenting occurring. Fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 2 April 2013
This review is from: BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe I didn't read this book sooner. To be honest as a first time mum, it's quite easy to get swept up with advice and stuff you read on the internet as well as other so called baby manuals out there. This book really gave me the confidence to just chill out and enjoy being a mother and not worry so much about whether I'm doing the "right" thing. I wish I had found it in the beginning rather than wasting all those first months being upset and worried. I would recommend this to all first time mums, it gives you the confidence and for once, the only book to say trust your instincts!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most positive parenting book there is, 22 Mar 2013
I bought this book after doing a BabyCalm course and would highly recommend it to new parents or parents-to-be that want to follow a more instictual, attachment style of early parenting. I found the book to be very reassuring and reduced my nerves and anxieties considerably - I threw out all the books and magazines that went on and on about strict routines and techniques such as controlled crying and am much more relaxed as a result. I expect many parents, like me, have bought other such books that have titles and covers that tempt you in with promises of a calm, happy baby only to find that you feel unsure or uncomfortable about the methods descibed or that you just feel more stressed and pressured when you try to implement them (and that the author has no children of their own). This book really does deliver. The author has children of her own and a wealth of experience with babies and new parents. Her recommendations feel natural, intuitive and comfortable for both you and your baby, the focus is on love, trust and bonding, allowing you to just relax and enjoy each moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt so confident as a new mother after reading this ..., 28 Feb 2013
An excellent, helpful book that's a refreshing and much needed alternative from prescriptive methods. BabyCalm facilitates, empowers and connects mothers (and fathers) to their natural, human instincts as parents by offering a raft of evidence-based, gentle techniques, support and advice for life with their new baby, while avoiding strict routine-based approaches.

BabyCalm includes many shared experiences of other parents providing valuable insights into parenting, techniques that worked for them and what life is like with a newborn.

The book focuses on gentle methods to soothe babies, ways to help them (and the family) sleep and offers helpful advice on baby wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby cues and recovering from birth and birth trauma and the transition into motherhood.

BabyCalm aims to empower mothers to listen to their own maternal instinct rather than giving their power away to 'baby trainers/experts', and seeks to develop a tight, informed community of empowered mothers, a maternal matrix, that has been lost over the centuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all new mums!, 27 Feb 2013
Thank you so much for writing this book. I wish I had heard about it before my little one arrived. I had gotten to a point where I felt I was failing as a new mum because people were constantly asking if he was 'sleeping through' or in a routine, telling me I would spoil him if I 'just keep picking him up when he cries'. This book made me realise that we're normal. His need to be with me and my instinct are normal! Full of great tips and research to back it all up. Thank you so much for giving me confidence again.

5.0 out of 5 stars gave me confidence, 27 Feb 2013
As a first time mum, I found that there was an amazing amount of conflicting information and advice out there (even from the hospital, gp and hospital!). This book gave me confidence in myself and helped me trust the mothering instinct I didn't even realise I had!