VINE VOICEon 28 August 2002
It is definitely not a book to learn SQL, however I found it useful as a reference point to translate a particular flavour of SQL into another flavour of SQL.
Let's face it, just from the size of the book, we can quickly establish that it won't get into too much detail, but it is great for quickly looking up syntax if you can't quite pin point it in your mind.
Not ideal for beginners.
on 19 July 2001
I had hoped that this would be a concise but complete reference on building SQL statements, but it lacks some of the most basic explanations (try looking up UNION queries in the index - it's not there!!!). Disappointing, considering the many other 'In A Nutshell' series books I have are indespensible. This one reads more like a 'white paper' than a user reference book. Expensive too, considering how thin it is.
on 10 June 2001
I was looking for a refernce book to tell me how to do things with SQL (in particular MySQL). Something I could turn to to find the right command or structure. Mostly it fails to help me with that. It seems to lack simple administration techniques, which is one thing I really wanted...
It's good to compare main features of the covered SQL languages - MS, MySQL, Oracle, Postgre - but for the intermedate user there's too much detail on too few subjects.
on 9 March 2001
This book is good if you want to see the differences between the different SQL products mentioned. As an 'In a Nutshell' reference however I thought it fell far short on explanatory detail and examples. Tries to cover too much in 214 pages.
on 9 February 2001
I was looking for a book that could tell me the diffrences between Sql server(Access), MySql, postgres and Oracle. At first I thaught i had to buy several diffrent books since the dialects of SQL can vary very musch from one DBMS to another. But then i found this book, it brings out the diffrences. Couldnt be better. The only thing thats bad is that its only a little over 200 pages. But it still says whats had to be said.
on 28 March 2001
As with most O'Reilly books, this is meant to be a useful reference and not really a tutorial. As such it succeeds magnificantly and is good value for money. Especially useful if you are moving between database products.
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse