on 18 May 2012
Space Escapade
Thinking of You
As a boy in the 1940's when early radio played some of Les Baxters music I became facinated with his sound and the titles he played. So much, that he became my Idol. Since then, after collecting all his records from 78rpm in the early days, and 10" and 12" lp albums in the 1950's, I got most of his output from the UK and US. With the event of home recording I transferred many of the LP's to cd and when they were issued got the official issues. Capitol issued a few cd's mainly compilations. Real Gone Jazz lable has issued many of the early album transfers which unfortunately has surface noise from the original lp's used. Though I say this, for those that don't have the original lp's, buy them, I did just that, just for the artwork alone. The best out there is a company called El Cherry Red Records who do the transfers from the original tapes. I listened to their previous Baxter cd's on Sennheiser Headphones to check the quality, and the sounds from these cd's are superb,nil surface noise. The most recent is the Jewels of the Sea, never available before and what a stunner. Les would have been pleased with the transfer, he aways said that all music should have been done in Stereo. This is terrific stereo sound. I look forward to more from El Cherry lable, hopefully my all time favourite Carribean Moonlight ( albeit ) in Mono.
For all you Les Baxter fans out there, he has been well served of late. Despite the pity of the transfers on some, they are still worth having in your collection. Just pop in Les Baxter in the music selection on and it's all there for you Baxter Fans.
There is not a day, that I don't play his music and this has been going on all my life.

Bless You Les.

Haylyn Challis. Norwich
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2012
Well worth having - the music is superb; evocative, atmospheric, futuristic in a 50s sci-fi stylee. Wonderful. But beware, this release is transferred from vinyl and does suffer from surface noise and distortion. Shame.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse