I downloaded this nifty little book having finished the first draft of my NaNoWriMo novel last year. I’m a published author of short stories appearing in magazines and anthologies in the UK, USA, Australia and Canada. Most of my work is character-based as opposed to plot-based, but with my novel I wanted something different.

Though I’ve been writing...
Published 2 months ago by Miss Chinaski

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time and money.
I was really hoping for some good advice, sadly I was disappointed. Don't get this book unless you need the author to impart earth shattering revelations such as 'the dark is scary' or 'being alone is scary'. Total waste of money that could have been spent on something better.
Published 3 months ago by Helen Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars it’s because they’ve left out the funny bits. HBO’s TRUE DETECTIVE, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Writing Scary Scenes (Writer's Craft Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

Though I’ve been writing and reading for decades, there were so many things I learned from Hall’s book about how to write fiction that enriches story and makes a reader want to turn the page. The ‘black moment’, for instance, where the hero surrenders to despair. Using sounds to create atmosphere; also the importance of placing word(s) for maximum emotive impact, which I believe has made all the difference in my final sentence, crafted to lodge with the reader long after they’ve closed my book.

There’s also a very important chapter on humour. In my humble opinion, when horror or suspense doesn’t work, for example the BBC’s dire HINTERLAND, it’s because they’ve left out the funny bits. HBO’s TRUE DETECTIVE, on the other hand, is incredibly witty, laced with black humour that rings authentic and helps make it unmissable viewing.

Delia Smith, one of the nation’s most respected and treasured cooks, understood the importance of going back to basics. Whether you’re a newbie or a seasoned pro, this is the strength of Hall’s book: even if you think you know it all, you might find something new to you. It’s an entertaining read which you can cherry-pick or plough straight through. And for the price, it’s a steal.

Partly down to Writing Scary Scenes (unfortunately I still had to do the hard graft! ;o) I’ve finally accomplished a long-held dream: to write a novel that I’m proud of. So far, from the reactions of my advance readers, people are not only gripped by the story, but feel deeply for characters I thought only I found interesting. Thank you, Rayne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat yourself to this book (and other's from the Writer's Craft series!), 4 Aug 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It is another quality resource from the Writer's Craft series by Rayne Hall.
If you want to write realistic scary scenes that terrify your characters and chill your readers then you should buy this book. Full of examples of how to make small but significant improvements for dramatic results.
I can also recommend the other books in the Writer's Craft series - They are not condescending or dry. Rayne Hall writes each one like a good friend sharing the secrets of their success. Masses of useful resources from websites to video clips are also included, each book is better than any writing course I have been to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is great, and it's all thanks to Rayne., 27 July 2014
I've had the pleasure of attending two of Rayne Hall's online courses, and through her I've learnt things way beyond the stack of "How To" books I've previously read. And I am so glad she's loading her knowledge into the Writer's Craft series. This book in particular, Writing Scary Scenes, pushed me further than I thought possible and I cannot recommend it enough... Since following her methods, I've had a stream of acceptances from editors. Life is great, and it's all thanks to Rayne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add scary scenes to your chapters checklist, 6 Jun 2014
If you have written your book and need help to scary it up, you should use this book to write a new scene, or to add tension and excitement to a new draft. My suggestion would be to read the book and then create your own scene checklist based on the info you have gleaned and learned from Rayne's writing experience. And then keep your checklist handy while writing your scary scenes.
I have my own scene checklist which has different aspects of creating each and every scene I write about. I use this as a kick-start and then I come back to it at the end to boot my scenes back into tight and frightening order - I love writing thrillers.

I have now added some of Rayne's advice to my little scene format - escpecially her advice on using Euphonics to find the right words to scare, thrill or horrify your readers. And I have added Rayne's advice on the whimp effect to my scene checklist to ensure my hero does not act like a ... whimp!

If you want to know more - you can read my full review on U Self Publish under the blog gallery :)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time and money., 27 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars really good advice, 14 Jan 2014
Rayne Hall's advice on how to write scary scenes is an excellent resource for anyone wishing to write in horror, and any other genre that requires scary scenes for that matter. The advice is presented clearly and bolstered with great examples. This book teaches you how to instil fear in your reader through descriptive, thematic, pacing and structural means. I read this book shortly before starting work on my second novel, and found that it empowered my writing to a new level of horror. Highly recommend to anyone who is serious about writing frightening book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Feb 2013
I thought this was excellent. I actually took notes with a pen as I read through this. Now, only to put Rayne's advice into my own work :)

4.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable resource, 30 Aug 2014
I have found the tips and information in this book to be an extremely valuable resource. Even if you are aware of some of the topics mentioned, you are bound to find room for improvement. A great guide for writers of any genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having all the techniques conveniently gathered in one book is ..., 12 Sep 2014
Having all the techniques conveniently gathered in one book is so handy. I’m in such a hurry now to complete my first draft and move onto the editing stage which I’m so looking forward to. Bring it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable guide for writers, 21 July 2013
This is a great guide on how to make scary scenes even scarier, in a variety of different ways. It covers all types of genres and is organised into clear chapters with plenty of examples. I have already found Rayne Hall's book 'The Word-Loss Diet' invaluable and this one is going to be equally helpful! The advice is easy to understand, even for a new writer like myself. Highly recommended.