4.0 out of 5 stars Really exceeds my expectations
Published 2 months ago by Kent Brooksbank

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the warranty terms!
While the mattress itself is fine and I personally think at 155 pound for the double (which is what i paid when I bought it, the price goes up and down frequently it seems), seems to represent a good value for money (so far).

Published 18 months ago by Fearless Forest

4.0 out of 5 stars Really exceeds my expectations, 15 Sep 2014
Kent Brooksbank "Kbrooksbank" (Weymouth uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silentnight 7-Zone Memory Foam Mattress, Double (Kitchen & Home)
This is a superb mattress at at very reasonable price. Don't be put off or worried by the rolled up way it arrives. It springs into shape very quickly and no heavy (just very slight at first) chemical smell either. I purchased this mattress after reading a "Which" report on mattresses which was quite illuminating and I'm thankful after reading the report that I hadn't bought the many times more expensive supposed top brand (£1300), which actually received a don't buy warning from which magazine for poor durabilty. Have to be honest, the only reason I didn't give it five stars is no fault of the mattress but more to do with my own physical limitations. Because of this 65 year old's mobility and health issues, I find it harder to roll out of bed than I do with a conventional spring mattress but feel this a small price to pay for a much better nights sleep (I generally have sleep problems including diagnosed sleep apnea). I feel my sleep and general comfort in bed is much improved with just this mattress and a Silent Night memory foam pillow to go with it. Only one other thing that is also down to me is that foam cushions, matresses or even foam in car seats can sometimes draw and cause a slight ache after several hours in one position but that's definately me and easily rectifiable by changing position even just slightly. To anyone set on a memory foam mattress I believe they won't do better than this one for both quality and value for money... anywhere!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the warranty terms!, 27 May 2013

While I was initially apprehensive of a purely foam based mattress to give somewhat firm support, I was pleasantly surprised that once settled, the mattress is rather firm, just the way I like it.

Overall, 5 start just for the mattress, considering the value for money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why the two star you say? Well, one of the reason I bought the mattress was it's 5 year warranty. Given that it's a no turn foam mattress, I just wanted to have the piece of mind...
Unfortunately, when the mattress arrived, I was surprised to see that the terms for the warranty. For all practical purposes, the mattress comes with a real 1 year warranty. Anything after that will cost you and by year 5, it's almost worthless. This isn't mentioned anywhere in Amazon (which I'm in the process of informing them). Anyway, this is how the warranty pans out over 5 years:

1. Year 1: Standard warranty, including labour and transportation cost included
2. Year 2: Same as year one, but if there's replacement of the mattress, you'll incur the transportation cost
3. Year 2-3: Beginning of a sliding scale of charges. In case of claim, you pay 40% of current retail price
4. Year 3-4: You pay 60% of the current retail price
5. Year 4-5: You pay 80% of the current retail price!

While the mattress itself is good, two stars for what I'd say misleading warranty. The seller should make this explicit really!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for s good nights sleep., 17 Oct 2013
After browsing many sites and reviewing many memory foam mattresses, I decided this particular 1 by silent night was the 1for me. It ticked the boxes for value for money and satisfaction from previous buyers, and since taking delivery and sleeping on it for the last month im not dissapointed. I get a better nights sleep than I did with my spring mattress. very satisfied with quality of the product and service provided by amazon. I do Reccomend airing the mattress for a couple of days when you first start using it as there is a chemical smell, which will eventually go, so take of your sheets in the morning and leave the window open.

4.0 out of 5 stars Massive Overall Improvement On My Old Mattress, 22 Jan 2013
I considered the 3 zone mattress Silentnight Mattress 3-Zone Memory Foam Rolled Mattress, King and opted for this one as the price difference was only £50Silentnight Mattress 7-Zone Memory Foam Rolled Mattress, King

I have a couple of slipped discs in my thoracic area of my (upper)back and `soft tissue' damage in my neck. I get numb hands with pins & needles if I lay slightly on either side, middle & lower back ache the longer I stay in bed. I can't do a lay in. Headaches from my neck and in the last year or so, very poor circulation in my legs. The side effect being mostly 1 but sometimes 2, freezing feet, despite having being tucked up and nice & warm everywhere else!
I found it more comfortable to sleep sat up, so I bought a wedge pillow BED WEDGE WITH WASHABLE,QUILTED POLY COTTON COVERto add to my other 4 feather pillows (tried the ortho neck pillow) and the 5th to soften to hard feel of the wedge! If I managed to not move all night, I wouldn't get so much lower & middle back pain.
My old mattress is a pocket sprung orthopaedic good quality mattress costing £500 11 yrs. ago. I hated the damn thing and never found it relived my pain. Over the last couple of years especially, going to bed was a necessary evil to be endured! Was it the mattress or just my back?

I have done lots of research on mattresses and would pay lots of money for one that would guarantee comfort and lessen pain. I've even looked for other people with the same injury (couldn't find any) to see what they recommend. The memory foam style mattress seem good for some & not others .

The main problem was potentially paying out up to £3000 for another mattress I'd hate. I'm aware that some companies allow you a 60 day money back offer (Tempur), but they also charge 2 x delivery so you're out of pocket £120 if it doesn't suit. Dreams offer a 40 day swap offer, but I was put off by their dreadful customer service rating by Which & other websites. What price do you pay for comfort? I have a friend that had purchased 3 mattresses of varying price and quality & found the last & cheapest to be the most comfortable! So that's why I've waited so long to replace the old one.

Anyway.. I used Which as a place to start. The Silentnight Mattress, 3-Zone Memory Foam Rolled Mattress came top as a Which best buy. The only problem being was locating it. Despite checking Silentnight stockists, the only place it was available was Amazon. That meant I would be unable to try it out first. However when checking reviews, most gave it a 5 star rating, so I thought I'd be mad not to try at that price. If the worse came, I'd sell it as nearly new and hopefully get most of my cash back.

We did give it a full 20 ish hours before using it, just to be sure it settled & grew to full size. It is about an inch smaller in length & width that the old mattress, but once the bed is made, is not noticeable on our wooden slatted base frame. Our base does comply with the max & min gaps recommended by Silentnight as noted in other reviews. Because other reviews reported it to be warm, & my husband hates to be too hot, I used an extra sheet under the mattress protector. In total there a now 3 layers between us & the mattress.

2 weeks later...
I can now sit up in bed & read for hours without my backside going numb! I don't bounce out the bed when my far heavier husband get in or turns over. In fact I don't even wake anymore when he turns. An unexpected bonus. `Other' bedroom activities are not effected by the change in mattress type as some report with memory foam.
The wedge pillow is gone! I can lie flatter, still slightly sat up, but at least I can roll on my side again. It was impossible at the odd angle I used to be in sat up & uncomfortable on my hip joints before, but not anymore.
My circulation has improved? It's not cured but definitely better.

Overall I've enjoyed a better nights sleep & less lower & middle back pain. It is warm, but not unbearable. My husband has no complaints as he did with the old one. I was so concerned it could have been worse I'd been reluctant to take the plunge. But at this price, you can't really lose. I wish I'd bought one years ago!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slentnight 7-Zone Memory foam mattress, 19 May 2014
We left this mattress to open up and air in a spare room for four days, although it was still a little bit smelly when it was put on our bed, it was not too bad. Before purchacing this mattress, we had a good Silent Night spring mattress with a Tempur topper. Both my husband an I suffer from bad backs, and neither of us have much sleep at night. However, since using the Memory foam mattress, I am certainly sleeping better, making me feel much better in myself. We turn it around once a week and so far it is supporting us well, no dips or lumps. A good buy as far as we can tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money mattress., 7 Nov 2014
C. Brooks (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having returned from holiday where we used a memory foam mattress for the first time I was impressed by their comfort. I was less impressed by the price though. On doing some research these Silentnight mattresses were favourably reviewed by a reputable company. Having suffered a bad back for some time we decided to purchase this mattress as for the money could you really go wrong ? You can pay nearly 10 times the amount and these received less favourable reviews. Don't be shocked when it arrives as it comes vacuum packed about the size of a packaged large duvet. On opening it it springs into a mattress shape but it needs to be left for a day or two to inflate to its full size. I see that other reviewers were put off by the smell. I found that this disappeared after a couple of days. The mattress is comfortable, although this will be a personal thing and it will not suit all. Although it is initially soft to lie on, once you have settled into it the overall effect is of quite a hard mattress. You can move independently without disturbing your partner and I have not found it overly hot either. Value for money certainly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marshmallow, 27 Sep 2012
Always had spring mattresses and been recommended a memory foam one a number of times so I went for it!

Bought the 7 zone over the 3 zone as what's £50 extra for something which will last 7-10+ years.

I don't have back pain, aches etc, never have (I'm 20) but just the squidgey'ness of this mattress makes climbing into bed a luxury! You won't fall off with this purchase.

P.s - yes it smells for a day max so don't worry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic item, 13 Aug 2014
Very comfortable, used as a spare bed on the floor by my son while on holiday, he has asked for another to use at university. Great packaging, arrived super quick (arrived next day as requested), once opened it bounced into life, nice and deep too.
Would definitely recommend this seller, the item is exactly as described, in fact better!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 STAR'S SO FAR, 8 Sep 2014
This was my 2nd memory foam mattress, the 1st being a Silentnight 3-zone single; this was ideal for lighter person.
The mattress comes with some basic instructions, which does the job. I bought some hardboard and cut to size to fit our wooden slated base, as we wanted to prolong the life of the product. After rolling out and leaving it for 24 hours in a warm room, I was surprised at how firm it had become. The 2 of us have slept on it for roughly a month, and has helped both our backs. No roll together and you can get up without waking your partner! When it came to disposing of our original sprung mattress, the memory foam plastic fitted this lovely.

I would certainly recommend this mattress after 3 previous mattresses; this is the best to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just do it!, 5 Dec 2013
Arrived very well wrapped.

Carefull unwrapping and laid out for 24 hours on bedframe. Perfect sleep.

Good firmness but still really soft. Even a tiny bit of bounce if you need it ;)

My first proper mattress and no regrets!

Silentnight 7-Zone Memory Foam Mattress, Double