Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Sapphire 11200-14-20G OC Sapphire Card (2GB, HD7850, GDDR5)
Price:£147.55+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 January 2013
Granted this isn't the all-singing, all-dancing, ultra shiny new card on the block (current time of writing that would be the Radeon 7900 range) but this mid-range classified card is certainly worth the money for the performance it provides.

I purchased this card to replace the existing AMD based based in the Dell Inspiron I purchased a number of years ago. The existing one was 250MB low end budget card, which could only really run the most basic of games. This card has certainly given the machine a new lease of life!

Packaging:
sturdy box, with the card placed in an anti-static bag - extras included the SLI connector (used to attach multiple cards together), a DVI to VGA adapter, and the usual Drivers on a CD and instructions.

Card:
By todays standards a usual size, but against my previous one, it was mammouth! It has two fans installed on the card which keeps the card cool whilst running quietly.

Installation:
For those with smaller cases please make sure that you measure this to ensure that it will fit - I had to move a hard drive in my case to ensure that the card fitted. Installation was simple as with any other PCI/PCI-E card.

Configuration:
This card was installed under Windows 8 - one thing that's worth noting is that on first load the Windows 8 will configure and restart the machine before you are prompted to logon - this was slightly daunting as it was unclear whether everything was going to work together. On the next restart the card was configured and all I needed to do was set the resolution. Sapphire do provide software and drivers for Windows 8 from their site.

Performance:
These are personal experiences:
Skyrim ran on high settings and handled the high-res texture packs without any issues.
Far Cry 3 ran on a high/ultra-high settings and without any lags.
GTA 4 - needed a special set of commands to recognise the cards - but this is fully documented on the Rockstar site. Once this was changed the game ran on full high settings.

Overall:
This is a very nice card that performs well. This has a 19" monitor running at 1400x900 attached to it and performs very well. I would certainly recommend this to people looking to upgrade.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 June 2013
I bought this for my husband who is an avid gamer as a surprise upgrade on his machine. I have absolutely no idea on all the fancy specifications so won't pretend I do but have been constantly informed that it enables him to play all the current pc and online games in ultimate graphics mode rather than much lower settings. It means he can play his games for longer to appreciate the graphic detail (his words not mine)!

I've given it 5* under his instructions though not so sure I love hearing about how much more detail he sees in this game and that game but I'll take his word for it!!
on 30 January 2013
I gave this card 4 stars, as had some worries with its behaviour, driver problems I think, it's been working fine for quite a while now. Initially on a brand new computer, out of the box I was getting display crashes while surfing the web, ending up with vertical lines on the display and having to reboot the computer. I updated everything, motherboard bios, drivers etc, tweaked a few settings and the problem went away.

I paid £150 for this card, it was £3 more than the core version so went with the higher clocked version. I would not have paid much money for a factory overclock.

This card is very good, but not special, until you overclock it. The core speed was 860mhz, this version is clocked at 920mhz, currently I have it running at a conservative 1100mhz and use it for HD gaming at 1080p. I purchased a bigger LCD screen along with this card as otherwise it would have been overkill at the lower resolutions of my old monitor.

The cooler on this card is excellent and it is relatively quiet. The maximum temperature I have got on Furmark stress test has been 67 celsius with fans running on auto speed at about 60%, it is generally quiet but becomes noticeably louder when handling a heavy workload as the fans start spinning at faster speeds to cool the heatsink, although with all the gunfire from FPS gaming you won't hear it! The processor will handle 80/90+ temperatures, I live in the UK where it is only hot for 2 weeks a year so it will likely never get near those temperatures. I think it throttles approaching 100 Celsius.

The DVI-VGA adaptor causes horizontal line ghosting when playing games on a monitor. It is fine for using Windows and browsing the web but you will want to use a direct digital connection for gaming and not the adaptor. This is something to do with the digital/analogue conversion and I think it is a problem on other cards as well. My primary monitor connects via HDMI and is fine.

This card is relatively low power draw, it runs fine off my not so good 500w cooler master power supply. I think typical power draw from this card under heavy usage is about 130w, it can draw upto about 150w, around 75w from the PCI-E slot and 75w from the additional power connector that is required. Under normal usage it doesn't use that kind of power as it has power saving states, the core runs at 300-400mhz when not under load and when the display isn't active it goes into ULPS (Ultra low power state).

It scores 8.0 out of 10 on Windows 8 experience index.

This is part of AMD's latest 7000 series which all use 28nm GCN architecture comprising of compute units(CU), each CU has 64 stream processors (shaders), 2 ROPS (raster operators) and 4 TMUS (texture mapping units).

The 7750/7770 are the entry level cards. These have 8/10 compute units respectively and have 128 bit memory bus. The 7850/7870 are the midrange cards, they have 16/20 compute units respectively and 256 bit memory bus. The 7950/7970 are the top of the range cards, they have 28/32 compute units respectively. The 7850 is like 2 x 7750's, the 7970 is like 2 x 7850's.

Basically the more compute units a card has, the higher resolution you will be able to play the latest games at with settings maxed and the faster frame rates you will get, but you need a good enough CPU not to bottleneck the performance, larger resolutions need more graphics memory. If you want to game in 1080p the 7700 series are not going to cut it, similarly if you want to play the latest game on 2 HD monitors the 7800 series are not adequate single cards. If you want to play using 3 x HD monitor eye-infinity setup then you are going to want a couple of the 7900 series in cross-fire, and a hefty power supply :-)

Overall I would recommend this card, but if you are like Steve Bridges and are going to send it back after it crashes once I wouldn't bother. It really needs to be overclocked though to get the best performance out of it to be able to better cope with HD gaming, putting it more on par with the 7870 and comfortably beating the Nvidia competition in this price range, although their drivers do seem more stable.

I think the 8000 series is out around 2nd qtr of 2013, so depending on when you are buying you may want to wait.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 March 2013
I've only had this card for a few days now and extremely happy with how it is performing. Many people looking at an HD7850 card might be looking at the single fan option, don't as these cards are prone to overheating at worst and are pretty noisy. Ran Skyrim on this card but because of the inbuilt limit of fps built into the game you won't really see the card at it's best which is where Crysis 2 comes in. I'm actually running this on windows 7 professional, amd dual core 5300+ with 6gb of ram no problem. If I look at upgrading my pc in the future this card will be going into the new pc for sure. It replaced hd4850 which was actually a longer card and I'm more than chuffed. This card runs cool no matter what you through at it.

Buy it and you won't be disappointed.
on 17 July 2013
Have had the card for 5 months and 3 days now and have never had any issues with the card or the drivers etc still working perfectly.

Main reason I chose this card is because though my power supply can cope with a higher end card unfortunately higher end cards would not fit in my pc tower case which is small.

Obviously this is not a top of the range card so it will not max out all the latest games on ultra settings but it is a great mid range gaming card that plays all the latest games even now on medium to high settings.

I would reccomend this card to anyone who is on a budget and / or has limited space within their desktop.
on 8 April 2013
I purchased this card a couple of months back for my first gaming pc build, based on its solid reviews everywhere I looked. So far it has not failed to disappoint. The card runs stock with a core clock of 920MHz and a memory clock of 1250Mhz (slightly higher than the reference card I believe?). At these speeds I found the card was perfectly happy running games such as Guild Wars 2 and Deus Ex at max settings with adequate frame rates, although some may prefer to turn down settings such as anti aliasing for silky smooth game play. At these clocks I was getting idle temps of around 24 degrees Celsius and load temps of 37 degrees Celsius(thumbs up to the Thermalright X-Silent and Antec Spot Cool for this.
This gave me some more than necessary head room for overclocking, which I decided to do via the MSI Afterburner tool. This turned out to be one of the simplest things I have ever done, even with my huge lack of experience!! I simply took the core clock and memory clock up in 50MHz increments, and then ran the Heaven benchmark test for 15 mins to see if it was stable. In the end I managed to get the card to 1050Mhz core clock and 1450Mhz memory clock with a 20% power limit WITHOUT any overvolting, something I stayed away from with such little experience :P At these clocks the card runs with idle temps of 27 degrees Celsius and load temps of 42 degrees Celsius, so obviously I still have great room for future overclocking if I wish to overvolt. However, it should be noted that although the cards fans are perfectly quiet at my idle speed of 20%, the noise soon starts to pick up after the fans reach around the 50% mark, so you may wish to sacrifice some degrees Celsius for more tolerable sound levels. Personally though this does not bother me as the sound is drowned out during such gaming situations. Anyway, at these clocks I am running Bioshock Infinite on high/ultra setting at around 60FPS and Team Fortress 2 with max settings at around 150FPS!! To summarise then, this card is great for any casual gamers or newbies like myself and it truly shines when you take a couple of hours out of your day to overclock it. Personally I find it to be a little more than I need, although I guess it makes my system more future proof for upcoming games. For these reasons I award it four stars, which I will update to five stars if the card continues to deliver such impressive performance!!
on 4 April 2013
Out of the box this is an extremely quiet card - by default, it idles at 30% fan speed and it plateaus at 55%. This is audible if like me, the case is less than a meter away from you. However, this can be rectified by downloading the overclocking companion program. It allows you to create a fan profile; mine puts silence over cooling; at the moment the fan is running at 13% and the temperature is 41 degrees C. I have to be next to the case to hear the fan (there is very little surrounding noise due to being in the countryside).

As for the overclocking potentials, I managed to coax an additional 10% overclock on top of the factory overclock. I must say that I haven't put much effort into it, there is definitely potential to overclock it more. I am running:

GPU Clock: 1030
Memory Clock: 5200
VDDC 1075
on 11 January 2013
I bought this to upgrade from my radeon HD 6570 since it just did not perform on most games. But this card performs unbelievably well, i've managed to play all games in their highest levels (Ultra/Very high) and it doesn't even struggle in the slightest, I've used it on games like Total War: Shogun 2, Homefront, Deus Ex, Sniper Elite v2, Red Orchestra 2, Dishonored and many others all of which in their highest graphics. Even though this edition can be overclocked there is no need to as it hasn't needed any extra power, the only thing that would be useful to change is the fan control, which no matter what level it is on it remains quiet. The only issue i had was when installing the drivers it was confusing it with the previous drivers installed, since that was my error for not removing them it deserves the 5 stars.
on 25 March 2013
This GPU performs quite well with my system (fx 4100 + 8GB 1333 DDR3 mem.) even though my system is quite low performance! :) I run all my games at max settings from skyrim to left for dead 2 and it's just overall a good card!
on 27 December 2012
After reading lots os reviews on different cards, chose this one as it suited my needs more closely. as I do other thing on the pc than just play games. With this card I have the best of both worlds. This is a conplete new build and I chose the parts that I needed Carefully. As I do like my films as well.
Delivery was ok and it was well packed. it arrived on time. Could not have asked for better service. Would reconmend to others as its a good all round card.

See one answered question