5.0 out of 5 stars First book I have seen explaining current economics for the layman
I am really pleased Peston found the time to write this book. I am a lay person in economics and as economic problems of one sort or another have dominated the news for recent decades it has been hard to understand what actually goes on in the banking system and the national economies. This book really does cover many topics of current interest - the credit crunch, the...
Published 22 months ago by alapper

3.0 out of 5 stars Is that it ?
The book is well written and explains the euro crisis well. The comments on China were New to me and I was thoroughly enjoying the book with 15 per cent to go. Then there was a fairly tiresome and unrelated tilt at Bob diamond. Then at 90 per cent read - it ended. It was as if somebody had stolen the last 10 per cent. No real answer to the question posed by the book or...
Published 19 months ago by Paul Compton

‹ Previous | 18 9 1013 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into financial crash of 2008, 9 May 2013
This review is from: How Do We Fix This Mess?: The Economic Price of Having it all, and the Route to Lasting Prosperity (Kindle Edition)
Hard going in parts but real insight into what went wrong in 2008 and how it continues to be a problem to growth today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read to understand why., 8 May 2013
Peston's analysis of the causes of the economic crisis we are in, is fascinating and this book is an essential reading for anyone who wants to understand better the mess that the world is currently in.
For me this just highlights the question - Where is accountability?
Why should the regulators and bankers getting paid huge salaries, if they don't also pay for the consequences of their actions? These people may have been fired, they might even have lost a knighthood, but they still have their fortunes and huge pensions.
When will we see true accountability? Claw back ill gotten gains and pensions and make sure they suffer the pain of all the innocent people who have suffered as a consequence of what they have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars All MP's and Bankers should read this book., 6 May 2013
S. Gurney "S K Gurney" (Weston Super Mare, UK) - See all my reviews
So far I have only read about fifty pages but I undertand what is being said. He has put things into plain simple English that anyone can understand. A tip for reading the book is to read it allowed in the Robert Peston style.

Finally I think Robert Peston should the Chancllor of the Excequer or Head of the World Bank

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot, 5 May 2013
I found this book compelling reading. Having never worked in the financial services industry, I have never before understood much about it or why it got into such trouble. This book really explains it all very well for the layman. The only puzzle for me is why many more bankers have not ended up in jail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peston, 2 May 2013
Very good well researched and balanced.just as good as previous book
.makes u think what they really got up told

4.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive Tale of Woe, 1 May 2013
Preston's guide to the collapse of of the 'boom' is very readable &, in a strange way, pretty enjoyable. He distills the data & presents it in a clear and concise manner, reminding us of events and making us more aware of how banksters, regulators, politicians, egocentrics and governments allowed things to go so badly wrong.

Whilst attacking the bonus culture, he misses out on the commission culture which caused the mis-selling of sub prime mortgages in the first place.

How, though, I wish he had had a decent editor. He uses the phrase 'to put it another way' every other page and starts sentences with conjunctions unnecessarily and without effect.

4.0 out of 5 stars For normal investors and savers, 12 April 2013
Dr. L. Alberg "lella" (milano italy) - See all my reviews
A very interesting examination of the current financial crisis that makes it understandable to non experts. Lively and often witty style

5.0 out of 5 stars Peston shines a light on the obscure origins of the financial mess, 27 Mar 2013
What a great book. Robert Peston shines a light on the obscure workings of the financial system which led us to our current hapless position. I can't say I understood every page, but overall I can say I am now in a position to interpret what politicians, bankers and the rest are actually saying. Its not an entirely comforatable place to be - since it does seem that none of them actually know what to do about the mess we are in, and certainly none of them seems to be willing to take responsibility for getting us here - and undoubtedly, they are responsible, through greed, negligence, and arrogance. I hope as many people as possible will read this book, so that we can increasingly challenge those in power with confidence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third-party review..., 13 Mar 2013
I bought this as a birthday present for my dad, who is extremely interested in Robert Peston's writings. He said that it's a very interesting book that reveals a lot, but he's finding it quite heavy going.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've read and heard much of it before., 4 Mar 2013
I usually stop to listen to Robert Peston whenever he is on the television but this book seemed to me to repeating what he has said elsewhere and does not offer new or profound solutions. I prefer to listen to him rather than to read what he has to say.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1013 | Next ›