on 13 September 2012
I am not an anxiety sufferer myself, but I know people who are, so I will definitely be recommending this book to them. Even for people like me who (thankfully) do not suffer from any of the issues mentioned (claustrophobia, agoraphobia, panic attacks, etc.,) this was still a fascinating read. The author has suffered with panic attacks for the majority of her life, and therefore has a vested interest in getting her information right - as a result her book, which is based on scientific research, lifestyle choices, and personal experience, comes across as not only knowledgeable, but also reassuring. She explores many different aspects of these disorders including diet and environmental factors, and provides solutions for what one can do to manage them. What is refreshing is that these options don't require significant lifestyle changes - anyone can put into practice what this book suggests. I will definitely be recommending this to the sufferers of anxiety and their related disorders that I know, and I would even recommend it for non-sufferers, so they can better understand the causes, symptoms, and solutions, and perhaps even to gain a little empathy for those with this disorder. Five stars for sure.
on 14 October 2012
The author has shown amazing courage and despite medical advice taking her in the wrong direction has found her own solution. In this book she shows the formula of diet and lifestyle change she has used to overcome the affliction of panic attacks that had plagued her for twenty nine years. She gives the reader the benefit of her experiences and compliments this with scientific studies corroborating many of her findings. Her story will be an inspiration to other sufferers and proves that with courage and determination we can be capable of healing ourselves when medical practitioners give up.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I applaud this author for sharing her personal lifetime battle with panic attacks. Amazingly, by accident she discovered the real root cause, which was never discussed or suggested by the medical professionals. It made me realize even more that the stuff we eat today is imitation food, filled with chemicals and toxins. Eliminating those toxins from her daily diet led her on a path of recovery. I believe that many diseases and disorders today can be cured if people would change the way they look at what they are eating and drinking. Don't trust the FDA to protect you, because they are more interested in population control. The test subjects discussed in her book and the results were enough to convince me! This is a must read book!
on 12 September 2012
Panic attacks. They are as familiar to me as my own face in the mirror. My mum suffered her whole life with them. My father does as well.Recently I have woken during the night with a racing heart, and this year I ended up in the emergency department, twice, in the middle of the night, with my heart rate going haywire. I thought I was having a heart attack, but the tests were negative. And after, I felt so guilty for "making such a fuss." I also avoid public places and engagements because of how bad I can feel during them. I joke to people my dream is to be a total recluse!

So reading this book is a massive relief. I thought I was suffering from stress. But I am reading about myself in these pages. Something I don't pay attention to is my diet and especially consumption of sugars. So I am filling out the food diary in this book and documenting the effects of the French bakery with the almond and raspberry tart, I have with coffee most mornings.

To become self aware is everything. There is so much value information here to make this the best self-help book I have read this year. My sincerest thanks to the Author for helping myself and millions of other sufferers from this personally and socially debilitating disorder.
on 1 November 2012
This book contains a treasure chest of information that is useful for people who suffer from panic attacks, but also for their loved ones and friends who often find it hard to understand what panic attacks are all about. In the first part of the book the author describes her own situation and the reader obtains a good understanding of the seriousness of what she went through, in the author's case over a period of nearly three decades. She explains the efforts by the medical profession to help her and how she discovered her personal solution to her situation. At the beginning of the book she points out that her approach may not be the right one for everybody. Always consult your doctor. But as with so many chronic illnesses, your doctor and the medical profession may not have the answers you need. You may have to find your own answers and that's where this book can assist you. This is a book full of personal experiences, combined with general research. Highly recommended.
on 22 December 2012
A small but powerful book, very informative and makes you think about your illness/state of well being in a different way.
It contains suggestions to make to your lifestyle and I am currently taking the advice given. I have felt alot more positive about implementing changes and my future since reading this book.
on 30 July 2014
Like the author, I too have suffered from panic attacks for most of my adult life. Reading this book was a revelation to me and answered so many questions that the medical profession had failed to answer. Very well done Ms Speirs; you are heroic!
on 12 October 2015
Bought for a friend of mine, absolute must read for panic sufferers
on 25 January 2013
Not a very well written book. PROBABLY WRITTEN IN GOOD FAITH BUT IT CERTAINLY DIDN'T HELP ME. Subjective and too much focus on diet. Did nothing to reduce my anxiety in fact in the short term PROBABLY made it worse.