4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill but..............
Published on 24 Oct 2012 by C. M. Cotton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff
Published on 4 Nov 2012 by Angela

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill but.............., 24 Oct 2012
C. M. Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: George Foreman 18870 Five Portion Family Grill - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned a number and variety of the George Foreman grills over the years. I have to say I love the grills and use them a great deal. I change them only when the plates deteriorate and lose their non stick properties. Over the years the grills have gotten better and better. The first one I bought had a bread warmer on top and had non detachable plates and no heat controls. These were good, but they did tend to burn food, if you walked away from it. The next grill had detachable plates and heat controls which was a lot better.....and each grill became better made and designed and so the story comes around to this grill.

This grill is sold as being big enough for 5 people. I have to say it is not that much bigger than the standard grill and would say the heating plate is still only big enough for 4 people.

There is no ability to manually control the heat. The issue here is that it could burn food like the original grill if not watched. I though GF grills would realise this and put manual controls on all their grills by now.

Once again this grill feels regressive by the fact that the plates do not detach for cleaning. Once again I have to ask the manufacturer, why devise great changes such as removable plates for cleaning and yet don't add this feature to a new grill?

Two new features on this grill are in the rear feet, that can be raised or lowered, so that the grill is not always slanted, allowing for better cooking of sandwiches. Also the design of the grill allows you to stand it on its end when its not in use, so reducing storage size.

Overall the product works and is great at grilling food and allowing fat to run off. If you have a previous version, that still works, it is highly unlikely you would want to change grills for this version as it offers very little new in terms of innovation and in some respects it is a retrograde in terms of non detachable plates and no manual heat controls.

This is not a bad product, but why the designers have not made it with detachable plates is beyond me.

Good product but could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 15 Mar 2013
I love this compact easy to use grill. Since I discovered Toasta bags and the related oven sheets I never have to clean the grill. I place toasties in the bags or chops, burgers, etc on a sheet (& cover it with another) and the grill remains spotless and the food cooks perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars IDEAL FOR ME, 29 Nov 2013
Although this is described as a 'family grill = 5-portions' it would not be suitable for that. However, for two of us it is ideal. I am very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 18 Jan 2013
Keera's Mum (Glasgow,Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have had a george since they first came out and have had many different models. I like this one because its wider, east to west, and you can stand it on its end to give you space on the worktop when you need it. Wouldn't be without these grills and it's used every day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff, 4 Nov 2012
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This grill can fit 4 standard sized burgers with ease, 5 with a bit of a squeeze. On a positive note it warms up quickly and it has a flexible hinge at the back which allows you to cook different thickness items. It does reduce cooking times as you are cooking from both above and below the food, the cord length is adequate and I find I can stow it on its side in my cupboards, which reduces the room it takes up..

There are a few niggles for me with this item though, and it's obvious as soon as you open it that it's an entry level item, lacking the features that would make it more pleasant to use. For a start the grill plates are not removable, making them a nightmare to clean after use, as it's much like cleaning a sandwich toaster - ie not submersible, and as serrated quite hard to remove food residue from eg burgers and chicken steaks. Then we come to the fact that the heat is not adjustable - this means it copes less well with thicker items, I found thick burgers were over cooked on the outside whilst still requiring cooking in the middle, and it didn't do a great job of cooking salmon, though it cooks vegetables like onions and peppers very well. The finish and build quality of the appliance is not great either - the plates on mine have a slight defect and it's just not brilliantly made. It's ok, but I think it might be worth investing in a model with more features if you are wanting to use this regularly, though it does remove some fat in all honesty using it seems a messier and less effective way of cooking than using my grill and I can't justify using it often as it's too much of a pain to clean and I can't be sure of the results with more expensive cuts of meat. It's great for paninis but if you are looking for a grill for meat items it may be worth investing a little more for the features that are lacking here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish drip tray was attached and had a slightly higher lip., 8 Nov 2012
Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw "joltek" (Ely, Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm actually a vegetarian but cook meat (mainly sausages and burgers for the children) and thought this would be good to do their meat in and keep my oven grill meat free. It's not as big as I feared, I think cooking meat for more than 4 on it would be a bit of a push but fine for 2.

When it is tilted it's actually quite a steep incline, I tried sausages on it first and had trouble stopping them rolling off. There is a small lip at the edge but was a bit of a struggle, so not ideal for sausages but doable. Much easier with burgers and cooked them nice and evenly with it being quite satisfying ( and a bit gross) to see all the fat dripping out of them.

Found it quite easy to clean with a damp clothe while a bit warm still and the drip tray goes in the dishwasher. I wish the drip tray could attach to the machine a little though while being used as you have to make sure it's completely lined up and don't knock it out of place while checking the food.

All in all I am glad to have it though and would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars George Foreman Good Value for Money!, 17 Oct 2014
Yes George Foreman 18870 Black 5-Portion Family Grill it was up to the usual standard we have used George Foreman's products for many years and they save money on Electricity and with healthy eating and also good value for money, :( the only down side with George Foreman Family Grills you cannot get replacement parts so you can fix them, it would be great if you could fix them as it appears that we seem to live in a throw away society which is very sad :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 4 Sep 2014
I bought this for my daughter and her family. I've been using a 'George' regularly for the past ten years but it's been a new experience for my daughter. It's in almost daily use by her and her teenage sons and they are very pleased with it. The price was very reasonable and I would recommend this family grill.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the non stick and overall quality!!!, 14 July 2014
I wonder if there is a problem with this model as it is the second one in a year that the non stick has come off after very little use. I had the first one replaced by Amazon after a pathetic 1 month as every thing was sticking to the top plate, excellent service from Amazon may I add! The second one (5 months old) has now decided to shed its non stick layer and this has been cleaned using a George Foreman cleaning sponge. Very very bad product, Ive had 6 foreman grills over the last 13 odd years and they have all done well with regular use but this model is rubbish, i am really unhappy with it and will now try a different brand of grill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 July 2014