4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill but..............
Published on 24 Oct. 2012 by C M Cotton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff
Published on 4 Nov. 2012 by A to Z

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill but.............., 24 Oct. 2012
C M Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: George Foreman 18870 Five Portion Family Grill (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned a number and variety of the George Foreman grills over the years. I have to say I love the grills and use them a great deal. I change them only when the plates deteriorate and lose their non stick properties. Over the years the grills have gotten better and better. The first one I bought had a bread warmer on top and had non detachable plates and no heat controls. These were good, but they did tend to burn food, if you walked away from it. The next grill had detachable plates and heat controls which was a lot better.....and each grill became better made and designed and so the story comes around to this grill.

This grill is sold as being big enough for 5 people. I have to say it is not that much bigger than the standard grill and would say the heating plate is still only big enough for 4 people.

There is no ability to manually control the heat. The issue here is that it could burn food like the original grill if not watched. I though GF grills would realise this and put manual controls on all their grills by now.

Once again this grill feels regressive by the fact that the plates do not detach for cleaning. Once again I have to ask the manufacturer, why devise great changes such as removable plates for cleaning and yet don't add this feature to a new grill?

Two new features on this grill are in the rear feet, that can be raised or lowered, so that the grill is not always slanted, allowing for better cooking of sandwiches. Also the design of the grill allows you to stand it on its end when its not in use, so reducing storage size.

Overall the product works and is great at grilling food and allowing fat to run off. If you have a previous version, that still works, it is highly unlikely you would want to change grills for this version as it offers very little new in terms of innovation and in some respects it is a retrograde in terms of non detachable plates and no manual heat controls.

This is not a bad product, but why the designers have not made it with detachable plates is beyond me.

Good product but could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 18 Jan. 2013
Keera's Mum (Glasgow,Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have had a george since they first came out and have had many different models. I like this one because its wider, east to west, and you can stand it on its end to give you space on the worktop when you need it. Wouldn't be without these grills and it's used every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars IDEAL FOR ME, 29 Nov. 2013
Although this is described as a 'family grill = 5-portions' it would not be suitable for that. However, for two of us it is ideal. I am very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Dec. 2014
fantastic machine and delivery and price.
easy to use, easy to clean, really fast and certain food is actually nicer than normal grilling, like bacon.
Only thing is that you cannot adjust the temperature but most things are cooked perfectly on full power anyway.
Great for toasties, burgers and especially bacon. mmmm bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 4 Sept. 2014
I bought this for my daughter and her family. I've been using a 'George' regularly for the past ten years but it's been a new experience for my daughter. It's in almost daily use by her and her teenage sons and they are very pleased with it. The price was very reasonable and I would recommend this family grill.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff, 4 Nov. 2012
A to Z - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This grill can fit 4 standard sized burgers with ease, 5 with a bit of a squeeze. On a positive note it warms up quickly and it has a flexible hinge at the back which allows you to cook different thickness items. It does reduce cooking times as you are cooking from both above and below the food, the cord length is adequate and I find I can stow it on its side in my cupboards, which reduces the room it takes up..

There are a few niggles for me with this item though, and it's obvious as soon as you open it that it's an entry level item, lacking the features that would make it more pleasant to use. For a start the grill plates are not removable, making them a nightmare to clean after use, as it's much like cleaning a sandwich toaster - ie not submersible, and as serrated quite hard to remove food residue from eg burgers and chicken steaks. Then we come to the fact that the heat is not adjustable - this means it copes less well with thicker items, I found thick burgers were over cooked on the outside whilst still requiring cooking in the middle, and it didn't do a great job of cooking salmon, though it cooks vegetables like onions and peppers very well. The finish and build quality of the appliance is not great either - the plates on mine have a slight defect and it's just not brilliantly made. It's ok, but I think it might be worth investing in a model with more features if you are wanting to use this regularly, though it does remove some fat in all honesty using it seems a messier and less effective way of cooking than using my grill and I can't justify using it often as it's too much of a pain to clean and I can't be sure of the results with more expensive cuts of meat. It's great for paninis but if you are looking for a grill for meat items it may be worth investing a little more for the features that are lacking here.

1.0 out of 5 stars major drawbacks, 2 April 2015
I dont know who are those people giving 5 stars for this product??

I have 3 main issues with it:
1. It looks and feels cheap - like a plastic from a junk yard.
2. non sticky plates burn food! I have used other model before with removal plates and it has been fine until the plates gave up and started burning food. This one burns from the very start and all you can do is to switch it off.
3 . non removable plates - how are you suppose to clean them? wipe them off? it wont clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 15 Mar. 2013
I love this compact easy to use grill. Since I discovered Toasta bags and the related oven sheets I never have to clean the grill. I place toasties in the bags or chops, burgers, etc on a sheet (& cover it with another) and the grill remains spotless and the food cooks perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic Product, 6 Jan. 2015
This George Foreman is amazing. I first discovered the Foreman at a friends house a couple of years ago and instantly went out to buy one. It cooks anything from Chicken to Veg and if you can't decide what to eat, there is even a recipe book. I have to say that the main use is for toasties/paninis! Nom.

5.0 out of 5 stars We should have bought one years ago, 1 May 2013
This is a brilliant invention. I warms up quickly - in a few minutes - and cooks very quickly. To cook some sausages takes about ten minutes in total - a couple of minutes to warm up, five minutes to cook, and a couple of minutes to clean the grill afterwards. That has to be an enormous saving on heating a conventional grill or oven to cook them.

Our biggest learning, the first time we used it, was that you should clean it immediately you've finished cooking. If you let it cool down, then cleaning the plates is very much more difficult.

We've cooked sausages, steaks, meat balls and bacon so far. With thicker items such as the meat balls, you have to turn them a quarter turn sideways mid-way, so that they cook through, but that's not difficult.

George Foreman 18870 Five Portion Family Grill