on 17 June 2012
I bought this coffee maker around 3 weeks ago and have had it on every day since. It's quick, makes perfect coffee, easy to use, easy to clean and looks very stylish too! I love how it keeps your coffee hot for several hours if you make a pot, but equally love how easy it is just to make one cup. I haven't tried the timer function yet as I work strange shifts, but it's great to know that if I have that option if I want to use it.

** Well, I've had this coffee maker for over a year now and I still love it! I've not had any issues with the water indicator, but then I always pour the water into the cups that I'm using first, then fill it so I know exactly how much water to use. My dad loved mine that much that he also purchased one for himself and we both use ours regularly. I've no hesitations whatsoever in recommending this product!

*** Still going strong nearly 3 years later!! It's still used regularly and (touch wood) I've never had any issues with it. It still looks effortlessly stylish in my farmhouse kitchen and makes perfect coffee every time.
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2014
I bought this a while ago now and I must say i haven't been disappointed! It's brilliant, very sleek looking and does a great job. I like my coffee strong so i tend to leave it on the Aroma setting even for just one cup. Very easy to maintain and clean. I suggest running it twice with just water before use, i had no plasticky taste that way. As for a few people complaining about pouring the water into it side, it's easy enough just use the actual coffee jug and bonus you can then tell how much you're making without having to bend down to see the measurements on the machine. I keep it in the corner and then pull it forward when i need it so i can get the lid open the whole way and so the steam doesn't make the paint on my cupboard doors lift and that seems to work fairly well for me even with arthritic wrists as it's not a particularly heavy piece of machinery. Very easy to set the time and date on and great for me as a student to wake up to fresh coffee. Highly recommend!
on 7 February 2014
I read the reviews before buying coffee maker and really pleased with my purchase. Lot better than using my old coffee press. As I do like the function of hot plate keeping coffee hot for up to 2 hours then auto switching off after this time. Have not yet tried the programing function to make coffee. Some reviews have said it is difficult to read water level gauge on the side of coffee maker. It is readable but I would say it is not as clear and so easy to read. I don't find this a problem as jug is marked up on the side and I use this as a guide, when filling water level up. . I have made 2 additions which are a funnel as pouring water into coffee maker with out a funnel is not easy as can spill and run onto kitchen work top when pouring from the jug into coffee maker. and I also bought a water filter jug as I have hard water in area I live in and did not want coffee maker scaling up inside.
on 29 October 2013
Perfect coffee every day. After having to live with poor tasting coffee made with a Philips Gourmet for 2 years (and ending up not using the machine at all), I'm really glad to have bought one that does its job well. This machine is fast and no dripping at all. I haven't used the timer function so far, so can't say anything about that. Others have problems seeing the water level. I use the jug to measure the water but I can see the water level just fine in the tank. The opening at the top for water could be a bit bigger. The cream panel on the front is "creamier" than on the pic and also, the display is not purple, it's blue. I usually only make 8 cups as that's enough for me/us and only need to make a full jug if I have guests and, to avoid that burnt taste that coffee gets after being left on the heat plate, I immediately pour it into a thermos which, as a plus, also saves energy.
on 30 March 2013
Yes, it's true that the level indicator is hard to see, but I don't find that too much of a drawback after all I measure the water before I pour it into the machine anyway. What I find great about this machine is that it looks great, has good build quality, quickly brews a decent quantity of delicious coffee and keeps it HOT for around 2 hours (not lukewarm like some other machines). The coffee did not taste of plastic on first use. There is a programmable function that you can set to make coffee at a selected time, I don't bother with this as it's quick to brew anyway. The Aroma button can be used to slow down the brewing process if you want an extra strong coffee (I find this is only needed if making a very small quantity). The cord length is 60cm, some may find that a little short.
on 13 January 2013
We've spent more and we've spent less and have never had the quality of brewed coffee from a coffee maker like this Russell Hobbs. And low and behold it doesn't leak or spill when you pour this lovely cup of coffee which makes it worth its weight in gold.
on 5 March 2014
My old Russel Hobbs machine died a few days ago after about 20 years of service, and I was worried I'd have to spend lots to replace it. Was very surprised by the cost of this (about £33) - I had no idea you could get anything that cheaply. In no way is this a barista-level machine, but makes perfectly good filter coffee, which is all I need.
Contrary to some other reviews I'm finding it very easy to fill with water - just don't tip the jug at a very acute angle to start with as the lid (which is hinged) may tip.
The machine is very light (it's mostly plastic, which is understandable for the price) with a compact design, and the water levels on the jug and machine are easy to see. The filter is nice and wide and fits perfectly.
As you can see from the pictures it looks very smart, and I'm impressed by how much thought has gone into the design.
The 2hr auto turn-off is fine by me. Some may not be happy about that, but it's more than enough for my purposes (supposedly coffee begins to lose its taste after standing for about an hour anyway). I personally will probably not use the timer function, but it's ideal for those who know what time they'll be getting up in the morning. There's also an "Aroma" setting if you're just making one or two cups. This seemingly prevents weak coffee coming through when it starts brewing (percolating?) although I've not tried this (I like a lot of coffee).

Slight criticisms (not bad enough to lose a star) - the cable (about 18") may not be long enough for you.
The cable was also very tightly wound which seems to have given it a permanent kink.
There is some cardboard packaging under the lid (of the machine not the jug). A stray piece of cardboard fell into the water compartment. Had to turn it upside down to get it out.

Overall - nice coffee, easy to use, very affordable.
on 16 May 2014
First off, this is a very large machine so you need to check if you really want / need one that holds so many cups.
It is very difficult to pour water in because the openings are too far back and too narrow. I find it difficult not to pour some water down the side of the machine on to the worktop - irritating! One tip is to pour from the inside of the machine having turned it sideways - what a performance!
On the positive side, this machine does not impart a plastic taste to the coffee like some new machines do. The coffee just tastes of coffee - not very strong, but only coffee.
Now here's the bottom line. It really doesn't make excellent rich flavour coffee. It makes middle of the road coffee. It does make it hot however so it's not all mediocre.
Not the best purchase I've ever made but I am using it.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2015
I've used this every day since I have got it along with some Aroma Brown coffee filters. It does its job really well but there are a few minor issues:

* the water indication bead got stuck at the bottom in the first week. I have not been able to get that to move again.
* I have it sitting on a counter with some cupboards above it, I have to pull it out to refill the water due to the tank at the back (this would be fixable if the tank was removable)
* when you open the lid condensation on the inside of it pours down the back and onto the counter
* no battery backup of the clock display (brown-out in the night? no timed coffee in the morning)

Having said that it looks cool, fits in the corner of our kitchen nicely and makes great cups of coffee.
on 18 January 2013
We generally like to make half a pot in the morning and only make a whole pot if we have visitors. Our other coffee makers were a bit hit and miss on the flavour of the half pot, but this one has the 'Aroma' button. This allows the water to filter slower, therefore giving the coffee it's full flavour.
The reason it doesn't get 5* is the small problem of not being able to see the water level clearly. When adding water it's very difficult to see where the water level is, especially as we are only wanting to fill it half way. The simple solution to this is for the maufacturers to add a small floating ball to the tube, therefore making it obvious where the water level is.