5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect coffee maker! Love it!
Published on 17 Jun 2012 by Nicksta!

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to pour in water and impossible to see water level

- Can't see water level gauge
- Lurid neon blue instrument/clock panel cannot be dimmed/turned off
Published 6 months ago by B. Wernham

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect coffee maker! Love it!, 17 Jun 2012
I bought this coffee maker around 3 weeks ago and have had it on every day since. It's quick, makes perfect coffee, easy to use, easy to clean and looks very stylish too! I love how it keeps your coffee hot for several hours if you make a pot, but equally love how easy it is just to make one cup. I haven't tried the timer function yet as I work strange shifts, but it's great to know that if I have that option if I want to use it.

** Well, I've had this coffee maker for over a year now and I still love it! I've not had any issues with the water indicator, but then I always pour the water into the cups that I'm using first, then fill it so I know exactly how much water to use. My dad loved mine that much that he also purchased one for himself and we both use ours regularly. I've no hesitations whatsoever in recommending this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it, 7 Feb 2014
I read the reviews before buying coffee maker and really pleased with my purchase. Lot better than using my old coffee press. As I do like the function of hot plate keeping coffee hot for up to 2 hours then auto switching off after this time. Have not yet tried the programing function to make coffee. Some reviews have said it is difficult to read water level gauge on the side of coffee maker. It is readable but I would say it is not as clear and so easy to read. I don't find this a problem as jug is marked up on the side and I use this as a guide, when filling water level up. . I have made 2 additions which are a funnel as pouring water into coffee maker with out a funnel is not easy as can spill and run onto kitchen work top when pouring from the jug into coffee maker. and I also bought a water filter jug as I have hard water in area I live in and did not want coffee maker scaling up inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice simple coffee maker with good features, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19170 Heritage Coffee Maker - Metallic Red (Kitchen & Home)
**UPDATE 9 Mar '14 - I'm finding a paper filter is needed to keep the tiny amount of coffee ground sludge out - not down-ratable in my opinion as I've never found a 'lifetime' filter yet that actually kept all the sludge from the last cup!
*9.5" wide
*8.5" front to back
*14.25" from worktop surface to top of machine
*UK 3-pin plug
*All plastic body - nothing to rust
*Cherry red metallic front looks great on the worktop
*Glass carafe with metal band around bottom with cup markings on both sides, non-removable hinged lid
*Machine water level indicator window on one side only
*Easy to follow user manual with good size text and illustrations
*Very simple to use, programming instructions also look simple

Fresh from the box I washed the filter, filter holder, and carafe, and gave the rest of the machine a good wipe down with a damp cloth. Per user manual I then ran a full pot of plain water through the machine. After it cooled I made the first pot which my husband pronounced `perfect' from 1st to last cup. Our machine has no plastic taste to the coffee but ymmv so be prepared to run a couple pots of half vinegar-half water if your machine has a plasticy taste/smell after the initial plain water run.

Thanks to the other reviews, I was expecting difficult water filling but my 2L kettle works perfectly to fill with no drips or spills. Using the kettle filled the reservoir quickly and neatly.

The water level markings are in good contrast but once I started pouring I saw if I cast a shadow on the markings it's hard to see the level rising. Avoid throwing a shadow on the indicator window and it's easy to see the water filling.

The filter works well-ish. I did find a very small amount of grounds in the carafe and 'sludge' in the mug after the last cup through five pots of coffee so I'm using a paper filter now. No more sludge and DH thinks the coffee tastes even better. The paper filter doesn't slow down the brewing time - from start to finish it takes the 12 minutes to brew a 12 cup pot as it did without.

Right, not down-rating worthy in our eyes but the blue LED clock face is um, bright. We'll probably never use it to programme, cutting it off at the mains after use. Nice it's there if we need it. Also, the high gloss `stainless' look side panels take fingerprints as well as the real deal but prints do polish off easily with a tea towel. Finally, I'll be leaving the top lid open overnight to dry - a lot of moisture builds up under the lid during brewing and the 2 hour hot pad time - something that happened too with the 20yo machine this RH coffee maker is replacing.

All in we're very happy with the purchase. I've updated re the lifetime filter (use a paper. Trust me) but love this machine, wouldn't trade it, SO much easier to use and keep clean than the old one and OH WOW it's way better than the cafetiere!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker! Timer means that coffee is ready when I wake up!, 12 Dec 2013
I would have given it five stars if it weren't for the lack of clear water level measure and the narrowness of the water canister. However, it looks great and the timer has revolutionised my mornings - no more waiting for coffee in the morning - now coffee waits for me!

Also, the aroma is great. I like my coffee quite strong so I use it all the time to get a fuller flavour. I like that it switches off after 2 hours. It's a great safety feature and having had 'old' coffee, I can personally say that it doesn't taste very nice!

It's easy to programme as well which is great.

It's also easy to clean and I really like the mesh filter - no more paper filters is a great money saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this, 11 Feb 2013
A. P. Hayward - See all my reviews
Easy to use, sits in the corner of the kitchen nicely, makes great coffee, keeps it red hot for 2 hours, just very pleased with it and historically I have had problems with coffee makers as I can taste a taint to the water, but not in this case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to pour in water and impossible to see water level, 21 Dec 2013
Plus points:

- Can't see water level gauge
- Lurid neon blue instrument/clock panel cannot be dimmed/turned off

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...But, 21 Nov 2013
mr beedy (Norton sub Hamdon, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought to replace a Phillips that owed us no favours over the past four years. Good features, timer and Aroma regulator, However two irritating faults :
When you lift the lid to fill the water reservoir / add coffee ,condensation from the previous brew drips down the lid. The manufacturers obviously identified this and affixed a little lip to the reverse of the machine. Sadly it's not quite wide enough so some water will always trickle down the back and onto the worksurface.
Secondly the reservoir aperture is quite narrow so you need to be pretty precise in pouring water . Take the lid off the jug before filling and you can see what you're doing !
Apart from the above, brews good coffee, keeps it warm , looks good and is value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars A good looking Coffee Maker., 21 Mar 2013
The description that I read when I bought this machine did not make it clear that after 2 hours it switches itself off. It says that this is because of the change in flavour of the coffee if it is left on too long. This a laudible but I could have done with knowing this before I bought it. The space in the top into which one has to pour the water is too small and the area for the filter is too big! It makes good coffee and it is able to be set to start at a preset time. Good value. Delivery was as promised,

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST coffee maker we've ever owned, 13 Jan 2013
We've spent more and we've spent less and have never had the quality of brewed coffee from a coffee maker like this Russell Hobbs. And low and behold it doesn't leak or spill when you pour this lovely cup of coffee which makes it worth its weight in gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Filter Coffee I've Ever Had At Home, 30 Jan 2014
Pros

*It has an "aroma" function that slows down the filtering so the water stays in contact with the coffee for longer. It makes a real difference and extracts maximum flavour (and caffeine) from the coffee beans.
*Has a very bright blue LED clock that does not look tacky
*It can be programmed to make coffee at a certain time so you can wake up to / come home to a pot of coffee

Cons
*Aroma function only works with 6 cups or fewer, but it doesn't say if that is 6 large or small cups (the machine displays the level for both).
*It would be better if the LED clock matched the colour of the fascia (I think everyone gets a blue clock regardless of the rest of the machine's colour)
*None of the parts are dishwasher safe

Conclusion

I would definitely recommend.