5.0 out of 5 stars Cameron's 3D mark. He Did It Again !!!
Published 23 months ago by lokeshbade

3.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, low on extras.
If you happened to see Titanic in it's theatrical re-release, and still cling to the DVD-format, this is the DVD for you. It contains the newly remastered transfer also used for the film's 2D Blu-Ray release, thus making this the best-looking DVD of Titanic you are likely to ever find. It therefore also contains the fixed night-sky scene from the theatrical release,...
Published 13 days ago by Morten Hillebert Bay

5.0 out of 5 stars Cameron's 3D mark. He Did It Again !!!, 11 Sep 2012
Yes, he did it again.With Avatar 3D he setup a 3D benchmark and showed how a 3D experience should be. This time he setup another benchmark for 3D conversion and showed how well can the conversion look, if proper care is taken while converting. The 3D is truly amazing and if you didn't hear already that this is a converted 3D, you won't notice it either while watching, because it looks as if it was shot in Real 3D. Titanic must be watched in 3D to see How BIG the ship really was and the corridors and ship interiors and decks in 3D really changes your idea about the size of the ship, with great depth it has achieved in 3D. One director said, "A movie should be done in 3D only when it's director has the complete knowledge of 3D technology & can properly use it like Cameron". Yes cameron really is the 3D Guru. After Avatar all directors are trying to achieve it's 3D benchmark. Now whoever thinks of converting movies into 3D will take TITANIC 3D as benchmark. This edition comes with 4 Discs, all Bluray discs and the 3D version is divided into 2 Discs to give the most stunning quality possible and also the Video aspect ratio for 3D is 1.78:1, without any black bands at top & bottom and fills the screen to enhance the 3D experience and the 2D Bluray version's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and the running time is 206 min. (3 hrs 26 min), not as indicated on box as 186 min. Special Features comes in separate Bluray Disc. As a 3D lover, I highly recommend this. Don't hesitate to buy it...

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly special film - extra features don't do it justice, 20 Oct 2006
Lally (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm sure you have already formed your own opinions about Titanic as a film. I personally think it is an excellent and beautiful film, despite its flaws. And if you are looking at this "Definitive Collectors Edition" and considering purchasing it, I assume you would agree with me. Therefore I will go straight onto reviewing the extra features included in this edition of the film.

So, onto the actual product. The first two discs are the theatrical version of the feature. As promised on the box, the film comes with superior sound and picture quality (I'm no expert but I know it plays seamlessly and magnificently on my 42" plasma screen). There are four commentaries on both discs by James Cameron, the cast (not including Leo DiCaprio or Billy Zane), a crew commentary and a historical commentary by a couple of Titanic history buffs. All are worth listening to if you have the time, but James Cameron's commentary is by far the most insightful to the whole filming process of the Titanic, providing many titbits and points of interest. Both discs also include several action "pods". These are short clips that give more detail about how a particular sequence was filmed. You can watch them all together or one by one, or you can choose to watch them integrated with the film itself. The second disc also includes an extended ending, with Brock playing a bigger part. I believe they were right to cut this out of the theatrical edition but it is interesting to see anyway. An obligatory music video of Celine Dion's famous song is there as well.

Disc 3 has quite a few deleted scenes which are extremely interesting to watch for any Titanic fan, as not only is the relationship between Jack and Rose further explored, we also get deeper insights into the other characters. However, I agree with the film-makers about their decisions to cut these scenes as including them would have affected the pace of the film and would have killed the momentum, especially towards the end of the film. The disc also contains three Titanic parodies, none of which are ESPECIALLY funny, but hey, the disc needed a filler.

Disc 4 has many a documentary about the making of Titanic. A few of the TV publicity documentaries are a bit repetitive. I think they all used clips from the same interviews with the cast and James Cameron, which is why you hear the same comments being repeated through the different documentaries. This can be annoying so I wouldn't suggest watching them all at once. Other documentaries include detailed explanations of effects, filming processes etc. Obligatory trailers, TV spots and publicity poster galleries also included. There's also a gallery of images from design through to filming. Overall, I feel this disc is a bit of a let-down in terms of the limited interviews conducted with cast and crew members. I am susprised how little we saw of the actual people involved in the film-making in the documentaries since they are the people most knowledgeable about it. The majority of the documentaries are about the building of the set, the techniques used for filming and camerawork and the construction of visual effects.

So, do I think it's worth you spending your hard-earned cash on? Well, if you're not a die-hard fan of the film, what's the point? You're not going to want to spend hours of your time exploring the extra features anyway. However, for the Titanic enthusiast, this is a great edition. There's plenty of interesting behind-the-scenes info and you can immerse yourself ever deeper into the legacy of the great ship. The commentaries of the film are enlightening and interesting and the deleted scenes also give the film even more depth. The tragedy of the sinking of the Titanic really does hit home. And the thought that you will go away with after having watched and listened to everything on these DVDs is the amount of hard work that went into making this truly unforgettable piece of cinematic history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cameron pulls off 3d conversion perfectly, 12 Sep 2012
Reviewing the film is unnecessary as Titanic has become a love it or loathe it film, although box office results and media sales show that that a lot of people love it. But is it worth the 3d release and purchasing it again in this format. Absolutely yes if you like film. The 3d is crisp and adds depth to the film especially the sheer scale of the ship in particular. Thankfully Cameron has avoided those false eye popping 3d effects and instead added depth subtlety which makes viewing it in 3d seem natural. The picture is crystal clear and colours appear more vibrant than previous release copies in 2d. The Blu-ray doesn't suffer any of the fuzziness that some 3d films suffer or ghosting by poor conversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 29 Oct 2005
This item was released in Sweden on October the 26th, and I bought it rightaway.
We all know the story of Rose and Jack, and their struggle for love in a world full of social boundaries, so let's just take a look at this edition of Titanic.
The film itself is on disc one and two, and bonus material is practically everywhere!
You can get a lot of interesting footage of rehersals, computer manipulation and behind-the-scenes DURING the movie by turning on the special feature Behing The Scenes Mode, which "automatically branches you out to related video "pods" about the making of the movie."
This adds a new dimension to the movie, and is very interesting.
The deleted scenes are also interesting since they add some new information to the story. We find out what really happened to Lovejoy and Cora, for an example.
Disc four is the cream of the cace, with documantaries, featurettes and trailers, among the goodies.
(My favourite part is the news reel from 1912...)
What more can I say? Buy this box NOW!
P.S. There is one little surprise during the end credits, don't miss it! D.S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, tear jerking and desperately tragic!, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Titanic [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
This is my favourite film of all time. I love it so much and every time I watch it I cry! It is fabulous and words can not describe how emotional and amazing it it. Jack and Rose are destined to be with each other but when the world is against you and you are thrust in to the face of death things are not exactly easy. It is a classic which you can never bore of. Love, love, love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!, 27 Dec 2009
Wow - just seen this movie on a rented DVD and thought that it was so good that I had to buy it from amazon - and then I just happen to stumble across some of the many reviews and couldn't believe some of the comments in here: "Thank goodness that the Titanic sank and gave us such a wonderful tragedy" or "Insensitive to the dead passengers & their families"... and many people, for some reason, is also turned off by the love story - and some for the reason that Kate Winslet is too old looking for a 17-year old...etc. etc.

I can't believe my eyes! OK - here is what I think - this film is amazingly well made and directed - what a fantastic work - thumbs up for James Cameron... also the acting and casting is outstanding - not a single one let us down and the two in the lead roles are marvellous.

This film really touched me, not just because of the love story, which I saw more as a thing that could had happen anywhere and do happen all the time - also on a ship - although it of course is very moving (there were actually four couples on their honeymoon on the ship) - but most important as a sort of "documentary" of the terrible horror that the 2.227 passengers had to face. Because this REALLY HAPPENED!!! Out of the 2.227 passengers, only 705 survived, which meant that 1.522 died a most horrible death.

That some people can get offended by a director, who out of his imagination, creates a love story to go along with the story - I don't understand - and I don't believe for one minute that it distracts you from its true mission, because I for one, was really seized and moved by the realism the film - showing how a gigantic "unsinkable" ship tragically hits an iceberg and slowly sinks into the ocean along with all the people on board, whose lives stops in their tracks right there and then. It is so well made that it makes you feel you are on board and it is a great relief that the film avoids the typical hysteria and heroism - a trap that most disaster films falls into. This film not only provides you with a gripping story, but will most certainly also stand the test of time as a true classic - keeping the memory of this tragic occurrence alive for generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Titanic: 4-disc definitive collectors edition - the ultimate box set for the ultimate Titanic movie, 5 Mar 2006
Michael J. Rolph "M J Rolph" (Exning nr. Newmarket, Suffolk, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Before I begin this review, I would just like to take a few moments to comment on the excellent service Amazon provide. When I purchased this DVD only months ago, I was absolutely gob smacked about the service that came with my purchase! After I ordered it on-line, it arrived just two days later, two days!!! I was over the moon!!! Although I used the 1st class delivery service, the time it took for the DVD to arrive blew me away!

That's for the service, on to the actual DVD... As soon as it arrived, as I do with any DVD, I immediately put it on. It was fantastic, it was even better than I was expecting - and I often expect a lot. Not only is the classic film there, there are also endless amounts of special features contained on two full discs (the movie is on the first two discs) - some of my favourites are the 29 deleted scenes - some excellent never before seen extra scenes that are a must see; the two documentaries on the making containing numerous facts and info' - another must see; the animated sinking presentation; the comedy feature documentaries; the commentaries - there are four options for these and they tell you everything you need to know from the director, the cast, the production/special effects teams as well as commentary from Titanic historians whilst the film is actually playing; additionally the similar little feature scenes ('action pods') - which when added in with the playing film, tell you everything about how certain parts were done and these a great feature; and last but not least - the 1912 news reel, this is a real short 'n' sweet little jewel and is a nice touch to the collection. Still, amongst all these features there are literally dozens more that really will amaze and astound you.

It's an excellent DVD set and I have spent days and days exploring its endless features. The movie itself is a masterful achievement in all areas and I very much like it for the huge amount of historical accuracy and authenticity of the whole ship and the whole event itself; the drama, the suspense and the emotions you feel whilst watching really make this an incredible piece of motion picture. And of course, you can't help feeling for Rose and Jack as they are both trapped in their own, so different worlds, and who finally break free in love to one (very short lived) glorious haven through a whirlpool of treacherous events.

I became addicted to the Titanic event (and the film), when we were doing an English project on the subject back in 2004 in Year Seven. I asked my parents if I could watch the movie and so one weekend we sat down to watch. I was stunned, the sound track was unfortunately a little distorted (it was a video), but I saw through that because the film was amazing. This launched me into wanting to find out exactly everything that happened to this, the world's most famous ship - which, of course, had had splendid movies made about it. I must admit I am now definitely a big Titanic geek, I know many things about the ship, and the whole event, right from the very first mentioning of this grand new ship (and her sisters), through to her sinking, and to modern day exploration. I know many, many details, and this is what makes this movie absolutely breathtaking. From a historian's point of view, this movie, this DVD box set, really does give us a huge picture of what the Titanic itself was like, and what happened to her crew and passengers on the ships' first and last journey. Every single minute detail, both in acting, and in the sets, is included, even down to the designs on the china used in the dining room. Something as realistic as this, is what Titanic buffs have been craving for years, although it must be considered that never, ever will there be anything that tells us about the event with complete 100% accuracy. From a film reviewers point of view this movie, even today has stunning visual effects, highly professional acting, a greatly immersing sound track, massively accurate historical authenticity, and overall comes out as a highly successful ambitious project, but the list could go on and on - the film did win 11 Oscars! To this day, I may still sit down on a rainy day and explore this DVD thoroughly. I am very proud to have this in my small but ever growing DVD collection. I give a huge thanks to James (`Jim') Cameron and the whole movie team for creating this masterful movie in 1998 and this masterful DVD-box set with it.

I would recommend this DVD set to anyone - especially Titanic enthusiasts, Titanic movie enthusiasts, and all movie enthusiasts... generally everyone who even takes a vague interest. If you're considering buying it - consider it no longer - just BUY IT!!! It is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Titanic (4 disc deluxe edition) - A masterpiece for anyone and everyone to own - own it now!

Thank you for reading this review. I hope you found it useful and you'll buy this DVD - I did and I didn't regret it!
Michael J Rolph.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Edition of Titanic if You Simply Want The Film, 14 Nov 2005
This two disc special edition consists of the film and a limited number of extra features. Not long after Titanic came out there was a DVD released which was sadly a huge disappointment. Since that time I have patiently waited, no doubt with many other fans of the film, for the release of a DVD which does this great film justice. Now at long last that time has come and this DVD special edition does not disappoint. This DVD film is presented in anamorphic widescreen and the print quality is first class. When shown on a large wide screen it is stunning. The extra features are limited but are still a must for any fan of this film and others interested in the Titanic. The extra features include 'My Heart Will go On' music video from Celine Dion, Alternative ending on disc 2 and features from behind the scenes in the making of this film. I would recommend this edition of the film if you are not interested in lots of extra features because the film alone is worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great film - but not just the romance, 9 Oct 2003
This review is from: Titanic [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
A fine film, although in my view the love story between Jack and Rose isn't nearly the best part. (Then again I'm not 16 years old any more !)
As an engineer myself, I identified most closely with the character of Thomas Andrews, master shipwright at Harland & Wolfe. Spoken as a true engineer, no-one argues with him :
"This ship can't sink !"
"This ship is made of iron - it can, and it will. That is a mathematical certainty."
The attention to details from Cameron is astounding - from the costumes, sets and even the actors - it is hard to tell the faces from the contemporary photographs, so good is the match. Nitpickers will always have a field day on movies like this but never mind, it's terrific when a real effort is made, and there is always a nice wide angle shot in every scene to show off the finer details of the set (the gymnasium is my favourite).
The final scene, where Rose enters the Grand Saloon to applause from all the cast sums up the film - it really should be viewed and regarded as an ensemble piece, not just a love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly moving motion picture experience, 26 Jan 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Titanic [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
I write this review principally for those who have vowed to never watch Titanic. No fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, I used to be one of those people; then, on the spur of the moment, I felt compelled to buy it and watch it. I am so thankful I responded to that sudden urge because this is truly the most moving motion picture I have ever seen. I immediately fell in love with every single thing about it, even the love story of Jack and Rose. I know this film cost a fortune and took forever to make, but every cent James Cameron spent was worth it. Titanic is incredible. There were really no Jack and Rose onboard the ship on the night it went down, but their story opens our hearts to the real story of that great tragedy, the fact that hundreds and hundreds of very real people from all walks of life suffered and died in the frigid waters of the North Atlantic. When we think of some of the lives that were lost, we too often see them not as people but as myths-the unsinkable Molly Brown, Captain Smith, the scoundrel Ismay, John Jacob Astor, the Guggenheims, the musicians on deck, etc. In this epic, we see the humanity of everyone on board, from the first class passengers to the third class folks below deck to the hard-working men in the pits of the ship who bravely kept the lights on for so long in the face of certain death. This motion picture reinforces the humanity of every soul lost, for that is where the real tragedy lies.
Some people don't like the love story in the film, but I found it magical. DiCaprio, as much as I hate to admit it, is an incredibly talented actor, but it is really Kate Winslet who shines the brightest in my eyes. The complexity of Rose, engaged to wealth and status but yearning for something real that cannot be bought, calls out to the humanity in all of us, and we delight in her forbidden romance with the poor and socially inferior Jack Dawson, ready to take up arms ourselves against her rogue of a fiancé and his dastardly henchman. Some of the purity of this love was lost for me inside the car in the storage room, but no one can deny the power of Rose's love for Jack when she sacrifices her own survival to stay by his side. This is the kind of all-encompassing love we all seek but a rare few of us ever find.
Equally powerful is the extraordinary presentation of the Titanic's final hour. One feels as if he is actually there feeling the shudders as the iceberg rips through the great ship's hull, detecting the list of the decks as the front section begins to settle under water, watching with fascinating unbelief the water as it begins its climb from the lower to upper decks, getting a sense of the complete and utter panic that ensues once Titanic's fate becomes clear to all onboard, and watching numbly from afar as the smokestacks break off, the hull splits, and the fractured ship dives beneath the waves en route to its eternal resting place. The surreal aspect of it all, with the music playing in the background while brave men say a final goodbye to their wives and children in the lifeboats and less fortunate men, women, and children stop to embrace death in whatever way they can, is truly magical and tugs at the heart-strings of anyone professing to be human.
The incredible music accompanying this film is also intensely moving, whether it is reinforcing the passion of true love newly found or lamenting the tragedy of souls lost. If the love story and tragedy do not bring tears to your eyes, the extraordinary music will. I wonder how many men in particular sat through all of the closing credits in the theatre hoping their tears would dry before the lights came back on. The ending is to my eyes absolutely perfect and truly beautiful. This movie affects me greatly no matter how many times I have already watched it. I hope that some of those individuals vowing never to watch Titanic will reconsider their decision; I feel sure that many unbelievers would find themselves as captivated and completely in love with this motion picture as I am upon experiencing it.

Titanic [DVD] [1997]
Titanic [DVD] [1997] by James Cameron (DVD - 2012)
2.99