Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more Learn More

on 10 August 2012
I am a qualified Primary Teacher and have been teaching children to read for many years. I am also a Mum with young children of my own! I was looking for a reading game to play with my 5 year old at home and I came across Kloo. It is working wonders in boosting my son's enthusiasm for reading and is a lot of fun. I was so impressed with the card game that I decided to write a review from a professional point of view - here it is:)

There are 3 fun, early reading games that can be played with a deck of colourful Kloo cards. The cards are high quality, bright and clear - designed to build young children's confidence in reading words and sequencing basic sentences. Kloo is most appropriate for a teacher or parent to play with children aged 4-7 years.

The reading cards are colour-coded, with one word printed on each; some words are phonetically easy to read, some are a little harder. Arrows on each card cleverly direct children to build a sentence, word by word. There are also "Zoo" cards, with an animal on each - these are an excellent incentive to concentrate, since children can win an animal card as a reward for reading words correctly. An extension activity is to win objects for the animals - such as a ball, food or a blanket.

Kloo encourages young children to practise and take pride in their reading - the colour-corded cards automatically direct the player to the next correct word, taking away any undue stress and allowing the child to focus and find enjoyment in reading.

The Kloo Zoo game can easily be simplified for children with very basic reading skills - for example, Nursery-aged children. The game can just as easily be extended to consolidate skills of more confident readers in Reception or Year 1.

With three fun reading games within one compact deck, Kloo Reader Cards are ideal for playing in the classroom, at home or for taking on holiday.
on 6 September 2012
My class really enjoyed playing this game. I've played it with my grand children who really enjoyed winning animals for their zoo and making up sentences. Even the little one was able to join in with some help from me.

Then, being a Literacy Teacher I thought that I could use the cards with some of my own learners (ones I know well and I was confident would like the idea of a game) as a filler to rehearse sentence building skills. I was able to adapt the game after the first run through so that they thought about grammar and parts of speech and they began building their own sentences with new words that they suggested. The Kloo Cards proved an excellent jumping off point for all sorts of English Language activities. They're a regular part of my teaching kit now and the grand children always ask to play when they visit.
on 23 September 2012
A superb game. So far we've mainly used Kloo as a version of the pelmanism card game - lay all the cards face down and pick up two cards, hoping to find a pair. It stresses the memory (my memory at least) and acts as a fast and fun version of reading flash cards! I guess the ideal age is for 4, 5 or 6 year old kids although it may be helpful if your child is maybe a bit older but struggles with word recognition (which is our situation). Lots of fun.
on 9 April 2013
My kids loved playing this game! They loved collecting all the animals and swapping them. This encouraged my 5 year old to try to make her sentences as long as possible to win the animal cards. The colour coding is also extremely useful to help children to remember which order to put their words in. After several games she was able to read the words with great ease. A wonderful way to get children to read, highly recommended!!
on 7 August 2012
Getting my son to read was nothing short of challenging at 4yrs old so I wanted to find games to play with my daughter at the same age. A recent trip to London Zoo was preceded with KLOO Zoo reader cards. She loved creating her Zoo sentences in a simple & fun way. My son wanted to play also. Don't you love competition & challenge? Important for learning. We finished with a good old game of snap too! Engaging, fun and travel friendly. They now have a copy each :) Sibling rivalry....
on 16 August 2012
Having tried other Kloo card packs myself to learn some Spanish - I thought that this would be a good birthday present for my 7 year old nephew. Sometimes it's hard to know what to buy kids in the family without thinking it's a bit throw-away or may be a bad influence in some way! (Soliders! Guns! etc) They're nice and simple to use, and the designs are vibrant which helps to keep your interest.

Kloo cards are definitely fun and educational - the perfect mix. Kids tend to love animals so this is a good way to get them to learn without it feeling like hard work. I've been told it's one of the best presents he's had - which makes me extra pleased knowing I'm contributing a little to his future and that he's enjoying himself.
on 5 July 2015
Really pleased with this. I teach EFL and have bilingual children growing up in Germany, in the German state school system who don't learn English at school til age 8. My 7 and 9 year old have enjoyed playing the game in its sentence making form and as snap, my 4 and 7 year old enjoy the memory version even though the 4 year old is only just learning to read and my 9 year old has played the sentence making version of Kloo Zoo with her German native speaker friends who have only been learning English for a year.

So far everyone has enjoyed the game and played it in preference to other options. It seems to work well on different levels - as reading practice for younger native speakers who do their schooling in another language and for non native speaker s who have been learning English for a fairly short time.

Unlike the more complex Race to London there have not been any issues with the Kloo arrow system producing sentences that are not actually correct/ don't quite make sense, so a 5 star review. I would recommend this game.
on 29 June 2014
Children love it from the very beginning. My students love making long sentences, scoring points and winning animals to build their own zoo. Children talk about the animals and how we can take care of them. They swap cards and help each other and they even set their own rules. There are so many animals that kids like deviding them into categories like jungle animals, pets, farm animals etc. Teachers can also focus on what animals can do and cannot do. Talking about favourite animals and pets or what animal they would like to have or be are other topics children like.

It's a good tool for parents who want to help their children at home. Do parents need to know English very well? Of course not! Parents and children can learn together!!
on 15 September 2014
Bought this to use in class with new pupils with little English. Last week had a new tongue-tied little boy and before the lesson was over he was making sentences, reading them out loud with a smile on his face. What a great way to start building confidence in English. I bought this after buying the Race to London game earlier and discovering that my pupils loved this game. A great challenge to make long sentences, use conjunctions and to insert 'the'. Well done Kloo!
on 5 August 2015
My 4 year old loves this game. He is learning the words really quickly and gets so excited when he makes a really long sentence and gets lots of animals. My 2 year old also loves joining in as he can make the sentences using the colour system.