This is now mt third pair of Berghaus Explorer Trek walking boots, I like to have at least two pairs on the go at any one time to allow for any drying out necessary for the boots. I walk 5 times a week, over hills and put in 9 to 10 miles a day. They get a hammering as I'm out in all weathers and all times of the year.

Firstly you can guarantee that these...
Published 19 months ago by M. SULLIVAN

1.0 out of 5 stars Bergaus Explorer useless for long walks
Published 4 months ago by Wild Irish Eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots and if you can get them at the right price.....even better!, 20 Feb 2013
M. SULLIVAN - See all my reviews

Firstly you can guarantee that these boots, like all Berghaus boots, will fit comfortably straight out of the box. I find it not necessary to 'run them in' so to say.

Before I took to getting the Explorer Trek model I had two pairs of the Berghaus Explorer Lite's. Just as comfortable, but not quite as hard wearing. That was primarily due to the slight difference in the models insomuch as the stitching at the tow cap area of the respective types of boots. The Explorer Lite has a stitched toe cap, the Explorer Trek does not and with the hammering I give both types of boot the 'Lite' was getting badly worn, cracked and letting in water where this toe cap stitching is located well before any other area of the boot were becoming worn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy, 16 Dec 2012
I bought them for my husband who loves them, he's had them before and says they are the most comfortable boots he's ever had. Delivery was free from Amazon and the service was second to none,thankyou

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer Trek Tech Walking Boots - These boots were made for walking, 11 April 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Explorer Trek Tech Walking Boot (Apparel)
I think I can say that these are the best walking boots I have ever owned.

Lighter than normal all leather boots due to the construction of a leather skeleton with material panels, they still have all the strength and support of a traditional boot. They are flexible in the right places. I was a little concerned about waterproofness, but these babies seem to be totally impervious.

I am usually a size 11, and found an 11 in these to be a perfect fit. What amazed me was that these boots did not require me to `break them in', as I have always had to do with other walking boots. I did a 10 mile walk in them the day after buying them, and they were supremely comfortable. I gave them a quick nikwaxing before use, and they have proven to be completely waterproof. I used them in conjunction with Trespass gaiters for a 22 mile hike the other day, through seemingly endless deep and very muddy puddles that regularly came half way up my shin, and at the end of the walk my feet were bone dry. Amazingly good. The lightweight build of the boot makes them perfect for such a walk, as at the end of 20 odd muddy miles my feet normally feel very heavy through both tiredness and the accumulation of mud on the boot, but no such heavy footed feeling that day.

An exceptionally good pair of hard wearing yet lightweight walking boots. One of the best buys I have made for a long time. Highly recommended, 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, Durable and Stylish Boot, 14 May 2013
These boots are comfortable and durable. I use them for working outdoors during all types of weather conditions and they keep my socks dry. They offer great padding and protection and stabilize my heels with extra hi-top support. Last weekend I completed a twenty six mile hike across the Isle of Wight over gravel, mud, grass and sand and up and down several large hills. Sure I used comfortable socks and used surgical spirit to clean and prepare my feet before hand, but comfort was never a problem, the only objects I removed from them, during my rests, were fluffs of the sock which could cause friction and blisters. I ended the walk with no unusual discomfort and dry, warm and blister free feet.

The reason I purchased these boots was because I had used the Berghaus Explorer boots before, that original pair of boots lasted me seven years, and even after seven years (and even on their final days with a large hole forming in the side of the boot) they kept out any damp and kept my feet comfortable and dry even in snowy conditions. I used my old pair of Berghaus Explorers on a month long sightseeing trip in Japan in which I did a lot of walking, in snow through Kanazawa and Shirikawa-go, through the city streets of Tokyo and the mountainy paths of Miyajima island. Seven years old and able to withstand those sorts of environments I was happy to buy a new pair and was very satisfied on how they performed on my twenty six mile hike over the Isle of Wight.

I'll be recommending these boots to anyone, they are well worth the price tag, and value for money ! I hope Berghaus continue to make this line of walking boot, as in another 7 years I'll be buying another pair !

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Dec 2013
Quick delivery of a quality item.

Very comfortable from day one, great quality.

I've got arthritis in both feet but with these boots can hardly feel it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THEM, 13 Sep 2013
Ware them all the time . Comfortable and dont stain permanently from mud etc.They dont leak and so far the laces dont show signs of damage( which usually happens in my experiance. Use a shoe horn to put them on as I think it will extend the life of the boots. I dog walk everyday in all weathers, in fields,hills, woods and mountains and pubs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bergaus Explorer useless for long walks, 10 May 2014
I choose the rating after going over the Pyrenees with Germans Latvians and Isreal hikers covering 40kms per day my feet broke down after seven days with blisters and heat rash. Every one else using Ecco and Solomans were all blister free. The first time using Bergaus Boots my normal size nine had to be exchanged for a size 10 as 9 was far too small with bridgedale lined walking socks.

The first signs were swelling within the boots after two days causing a heat rash blisters were identified after day three under the big toe and arch of the foot. I obtained dunlop gel liners which tightened the foot within the boot and gave me enough pain relief to carry on but had to replace the boots after day four to another make to complete the trek.

I have tried to return the boots but am outside the 30 day warranty period as i was away for that period of time so the boots will not be worn again. So for me these boots were not a good purchase and this is the first time i have ever had blisters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason for loving it., 31 July 2013
I really like this boot. No wearing in just put them on and go. Extremely comfortable to wear.Easy to lace up too.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class boot, 18 Jun 2013
Mr. J. Cooke (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Got these after having two pairs of expensive Ecco boots leak within a few months. These feel even more comfortable than the Ecco and I cannot fault them so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots but...., 14 May 2013
C. Hanna (Newry N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
I wore these boots out on a hill walk straight from the box with no problems. They're extremely comfortable, very light with good grip on rough terrain and they also look great. I can't comment on the waterproofing either way as I haven't (believe it or not) been caught out in weather that was wet enough to properly test their properties in that regard. They'll be fine for me, as an occasional walker not racking up too many miles I expect I'll get several years of excellent service out of them. I wouldn't, however, recommend them in the case of people who are clocking up high miles on a regular basis, a close friend who is a postie bought a pair for work and they were completely worn out after 4 months.

So to conclude, if your're after comfort and good looks, look no further; if you're after hard wearing boots, I'd suggest that you think carefully before committing to buy these.