4.0 out of 5 stars Unintuitive so loses one star.
Published 12 months ago by J. L. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick initial set up, good price, but some flaws...
Published 17 months ago by Phil G

4.0 out of 5 stars Unintuitive so loses one star., 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: D-Link ShareCenter 2 Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure (Personal Computers)
OK. I read the reviews and now i can understand why so many people get issues with the set-up of this thing - and when i say that it's coming from someone that works in IT and in network products. I think the biggest issue for people is not knowing or understanding how to separate all off the different screens and accounts that you appear to have to create when setting the thing up - they all appear to do be repetitive - which of course they are not. You 1st create a dlink dynamic dns entry - this is the same as you registering a web address, it allows you to access your NAS from the internet - when this part is done you can forget about it as you shouldn't have to revisit it. You are then asked to create a dlink account which could appear to be the same thing but of course it is not. Here you are creating an account in the cloud (current buzz word for a service that you access over the internet in this case a Dlink server in a data center somewheres) whereby you can access your NAS drive externally using the host name for the NAS that you chose during setup which will be appended to the dynamic dns address covered in part one - mynasdrive.dlinkddns.com.
What it does not mention however is how to set the port forwarding on your router which is needed for you to access the drive over the NET. Logon to your router and if using Virgin go to advanced settings and chose port forwarding. Select new rule and from the drop down chose HTTP port 80 and specify the IP address that your NAS drive was allocated when you set it up, or the IP address that you assigned to it. Job done.
HOWEVER! the problem i had was when doing the initial set-up and trying to logon to the NAS box using "admin" as the username and leaving (as instructed) the password blank from my windows 8 laptop. It kept telling me i was using the wrong password. After a few laptop reboots and i also reset the NAS drive 3 times (little hole in the base of the unit - press and hold till the lights start flashing) I had disabled anti virus and shutdown the forewall and was on the verge of putting it back in the box when i thought I'd try it on a second pc. From my Windows 7 laptop it worked just fine - so if having the same issue try a second PC, you'll only need to do it the once so it doesn't matter if it does not work from the windows 8 system. If this even helps just one person it would have been worth my while writing it. Please feel free to reply if you need any help setting it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best budget NHDD case, 12 Nov. 2013
I can see everyone moaned about this, however i followed the steps exactly and found that it took me 40mins from opening the box to being able to stream to my phone.

The manual sucks, but the CD guide works quite well and it takes you through set-up really fast and with simple step by step instructions.

Things that i think most people will get caught out on:

Setting up DDNS - Dynamic DNS is what allows you to access the device over the net (the cloud function if you like) Dlink give you a free DDNS account with the product. I used this, only i need to know this so i am not fussed that it ends DNS.
You will need your WAN IP (this is the IP that your router has on the internet, it changes now and then, which is why we set up the DDNS, which will auto change in step) you can google on how to find this IP

FTP Set-up
It took me about 5 mins to work out where i was going wrong here, Dlink failed to highlight that you need to have a use associated on the device. So i went to user accounts and made an admin account that had FTP read and write access. (there is a handy vid on youtube i since found and i use FileZilla to access it from my work PC)

download the Apps for device access, i have the ipad one, which works fine and i have the Android one, which although works perfectly on 3g for a stream, has a tendency to not auto play the next track/file.

Transfer speeds are fine, sent 120gb over 54g Wifi in 6 hours, on my buffalo NAS this took 22 hours.
I am using some old HDDS, 1x1TB and 1x500gb, both are over 6 years old and work fine. (BE ADVISED - the drive has its own file structure and as a result will format any HDD you put into the device, if you need to keep files, i put one in at a time and moved filed from one to the other.

File movement, normally moving files around partitions on the same volume is slow as windows or Mac OS pull the file to the local drive and then push it back to the other partition, however using the Web GUI you can move files internally, which of course is then just an edit to the TOC of the drive and takes seconds rather than physically moving the media back and fourth.

GUI is fast, smart and easy to use, if you cant use it then just turn off the PC and go play with some Duplo as this is not for you.
I have since got a second one of these for my 72 year old Gran to use as a Photo and video back up. She loves it and the fact that she can access her images to show friends (at the blue rinse club) she used the GUI just fine and does not struggle with it, this is the same woman who tried to put a DVD in the VHS player.. but still..

If anyone gets stuck they are more than welcome to come and ask me for help here..

On a budget.. Buy this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick initial set up, good price, but some flaws..., 26 Oct. 2013
When my Iomega home media network drive (cloud edition) decided to render itself completely inaccessible a few days ago I opted to replace it with an enclosure rather than an all-in-one. As the drive in my Iomega was fine, I was quickly able to remove it and pop it into the D-Link. Installation of the drive was a breeze and took bare minutes to get connected up and the installation underway. Setup CD guides you through the basics; having some familiarity with simple networking meant the process was very straight forward (although anyone new to it all might not be sure what options to select and why).

So, the basic install was pretty simple - I had some issues with it accepting usernames and passwords (for mapping network drives) but a quick Google gave me a resolution.

My primary purpose for the NAS is as a media server across my home devices (desktop, MS Surface 2, Sony and Samsung networked Blu-Ray players etc.) - this is where I felt the product was let down. The installed media server software is very, very basic - and while it did work, and I was able to view and access my media files across devices, there appears to be no auto-refresh interval for the media index. So anytime you add new files to the shares, you have to log in to the management interface and force a refresh - painful and it renders the software all but useless. If it has a default refresh time I didn't wait around to find out. Luckily, there is an excellent step by step guide knocking around on the web to help you install Twonky onto the device. It took about 10 minutes to get installed and running and I promptly turned off the onboard media server software. Certainly if better media server software was installed I'd have happily given this 4 stars rather than 3.

I'm also not overly enamoured with the web management interface - I find it a bit clunky and I can see how some of the design might confuse users (there's not enough useful 'help'). There's an unpolished feel to some processes - for example adding users and groups (add a user and it will want you to assign them to a group, but you might not have created it yet - so add a group before the user and it will want you to add users to it... you end up half doing one process, doing the other, then going back to finish off the first half... so yes, unpolished is an apt word)

Another strange behaviour: whenever I log in to it as an administrator it always rejects my password the first time, but lets me in on the second attempt.

I now have the NAS running over the internet (again, a few teething troubles with this but it didn't take long to resolve) and it works satisfactorily but nothing to write home about.

I've not used any of the other provided software features (backup etc.) so can't comment on them.

Final annoyance is the lack of a mobile phone Access-NAS app for the Windows Phone platform.

So, the good:

Quick to install drives
Quiet unit
Basic install is relatively simple
Good value for money

The bad:

Very basic media server software (I'd recommend finding a NAS that comes with something like MyTwonky Server pre-installed for a better experience)
Clunky management interface
No Windows Phone App (not an issue of course if you have Android or iPhone, but Win Phone is an expanding O/S that shouldn't be overlooked like this)
Setup could use some refinement to tidy up the rough edges

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used this NAS to:... The only issue that I have come across is the lack of a Windows Phone app..., 31 Jan. 2015
It took me months before I finally purchased this NAS, mostly due to the reviews here on Amazon. Fortunately, the NAS is full of features and, mixed with the fairly straight-forward interface, I have been able to make good use of it.

I have written this review to state how I have used it, so that it may help others who wish to use it for a similar purpose.

I have used this NAS to:
* Enabled the DNLA media server so that I can play films stored on the NAS from my PlayStation 3. Note that you have the option to share only a specific folder if you would like, rather than every folder.
* Set the NAS to turn back on once the power is restored, after a power cut.
* Set-up a weekly task where the NAS runs a test on the hard disks and e-mails me the results. I am hoping that this will act as an early warning system if there is a fault with any disk. There is also the option to text the result to your mobile phone.
* Shared all the folders, so any device at home can connect to it and view my pictures, music, etc.
* Connected using Ethernet cable rather than wireless to get top speed accessing the files.
* Insert two 1TB hard drives with RAID 1 (mirror-copy, so if one drive dies, all my data is still safe).

The only issue that I have come across is the lack of a Windows Phone app. Unfortunately the web portal on the device does not seem to work on a Windows Phone either. For now, if you have a Windows Phone and would like to use this NAS from your mobile, then I suggest you look elsewhere. This may change if/when D-LINK release a Windows Phone app.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good buy for a simple soul, 14 April 2014
Three stars is perhaps a little low for this equipment but reflects my frustration with the instructions. The setup procedure is clearly detailed on an interactive web page, but I could not find any way of downloading instructions, or of backtracking to check previous steps. It is also inclined to demand use of data outside the average users sphere - who has the IP address of his router at his fingertips, or knows how to discover which ports are used for what - but I found that these steps could be ignored and an instant startup still achieved. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Like most manufacturers, D-Link are shy of emphasising that additional equipment in the form of one or two hard discs are also required for local storage, but this unit does not seem to be fussy about these. I am using two 1 Tb discs rescued from a defunct HP server, which it accepted without any objection, but which, sadly, it insisted on reformatting, thereby wiping out about 300 Gb of data - not unexpected and safely backed up, but still tedious to re-enter.
As far. as I can discover, this unit is without any of the bells and whistles favoured by so many makers, which to me is a plus. It instantly detected my wireless network, accepts data from any of my computers, and puts it back on to any other computer. It is a trifle slow in opening deeply embedded files, but not frustratingly so, it runs RAID 0 or 1, and has provision for backup which I don't use, having other arrangements in place. All in all a very satisfactory £60 's worth
If I could break the rating down, it would be Hardware 4.5; software 2, but then, the software is annoying once, the hardware is with you all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few niggles, but other than that, it's excellent value for money., 9 Mar. 2014
I purchased this as a storage solution for our ever growing family of computers at home. I wanted a central storage box that did not draw a lot of power, could be left on all the time and be configured to give different family members access to their own shares. This box fitted all those criteria and more, including limited remote access via My Dlink and DNS, iTunes media servers.

I'd purchased a couple of 1TB hard drives to fit in (there is a compatibility list on their website). Initially one drive did not power, but that was because I'd not clicked it in hard enough.

I decided to not use the setup CD; our box does not have a drive, and hoped that the browser interface alone would be sufficient. It was, but be warned, some of the options are disabled in Chrome, so you'll need to use IE to complete the configuration.

Setup is fairly straightforward for someone who is fairly IT literate, and I've got users set up for my family, each with their own home share, a public share everyone can see and a share for our business.

It's not the fastest NAS in existence, but it only cost £53 + the cost of the drives. It does run cool and is very quiet though.

Apart from seemingly needing IE for some options the only other niggles I have are with the media server. The photos do not pull up thumbnails when browsing on my LG TV (though that could be the TV's SmartShare) and it does not allow you to browse photos in the DLink software by folders, which is odd. I've also not found an easy way to create albums, but not really looked.

Logging and admin functionality very good and despite the plastic finish it's quite a smart looking unit.

Overall very happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set up, 30 Nov. 2012
This works OK as a NAS drive but is difficult to set up. Here are some tips:

1) It is better to be connected directly to your router by Ethernet when you do setup rather than through WiFi.
2) After you enter your blank password you'll be prompted to enter a new one.
3) When you get to the screen where it finds the NAS box on your network; note the IP address, you'll need this later to access it through a web browser.
4) When it asks you if you have a dynamic IP DNS service (or something similar) say no unless you definitely know you have one.
5) When you get to the bit about configuring the RAID partition you'll need to log in with a web browser using the IP address you noted earlier.

I had to go through the setup process several times before I finally got it right. Also I had fun reconfiguring my Windows home network until it was visible on my two machines, but this was probably because the Windows network was not set up right before hand.

Also bear in mind RAID does not necessarily give you full dual disk redundancy. If the NAS box itself fries I think you'll need to plug your SATA disks into a Linux system in order to read them. If you just plug them into a replacement NAS box the new box will reformat the disks and wipe the data. This is a bummer as far as I'm concerned because the main reason I bought this box iswas because I thought the RAID system would give me redundant back up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but... Backup software is dreadful, setup complex, documentations and support poor, 20 Oct. 2012
S. WRIGHT (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
My FOURTH revision of this review shaped by experience to date and hoping to rteflect trials and tribulations of this product.

Finally this is working brilliantly - but it certainly wasn't out of the box!

There are better out there - Good price but poor documentation and software make this a hard product to recommend.
(this is my fourth revision/update of review and now upped it to 3 stars from 1 - reflecting difficulty, time and frustration with device initially giving it one star now 3 having resolved some but not all issues)

The good:
Easy to setup.
Good value (adding your own hard drives is MUCH cheaper)
Easy to setup with one HD and then add a second
Easy to configure RAID
If you abandon the software that comes with it it's a good drive.

The difficult:
Setting up remote connection is a real nightmare - I've lost track of time spent on this. Documentation is dreadful. Be prepare for looking around the net for support and help that makes sense and then having a lot of time to set up ddns and your router and so on with no useful documentation with this device. You'll need to find a lot of information from your ISP.

Once it works then mydlink is excellent and the remote access is superb but it's NOT easy!

Using Genie Timeline has resulted in working continuous versioned backup - however bundled software just failed continuously with any large files and support site only works in IE and closed call after a long unhelpful 'escalation' and no resolution (why can't DLink develop decent software?).

Updating firmware - like all other processes - is poorly documented and far from clear.

The Bad:

The bundled backup software is really, REALLY poor. You can create a backup but then can't modify it. It ALWAYS fails to backup large documents - works fine ion photos and files but once it has a video file to deal with it goes wrong and throws errors. There's NO information on progress, estimated time etc. Support is slow and relatively unhelpful - you're on your own.

I've finally gotten it to work on automated backups but only by excluding any folders with media files in them. However if I want to add a new folder I now have to create a whole new backup task. I'm revisiting my folder structure for a project to accommodate this poor backup software and get round it. Other large files also make it fail.
So can't set-and-forget backups if you have media files.

However the backups if/when they work are good as they are in readable folder structures not created as archives that can't be read (as with say acronis true image) i.e. you can browse a backed up folder structure which is the SAME as your main folder structure so that's a bonus for looking at the backed up files. However... incremental backups don't work - it only works on the original/full backup. In other words the bundled backup software is truly appalling. You either have to do a full backup every time which takes a lot more time and power with no versions/increments or give up and get other software ...
Doesn't work for backing up or returning to previous versions though.

20 days to get an "upgrade firmware" response after 'escalating' support gives you some idea of the contempt DLink hold for their customers, support and software with their products.

Another issue it *claims* an app above however that is the wrong app, and the app that IS for the 320 (mydlink access) doesn't work on galaxy s3 with jellybean it just crashes. So no working app either :-(

Update: New release is now working on android and iPad app also good

Setting up Mac TimeMachine is a nightmare as well - unless you;re only using this as a time machine you'll need to go UNIX command line to edit sparsebundles or it will take over the whole drive in time (cos Apple have written it to get you to buy their overpriced hardware) so you'll have huge issues using this with PC and Mac... No I haven't had time or braveness to do this and probably won't.

So overall:

Compared with my friends and colleagues who have bought other NAS drives I've had a LOT of difficulties with this one. Eventually it is all working but not with the out-of-the-box software and with no help from DLink. I find it it hard to recommend. Far from easy, poor documentation and crap software. If you want something out of the box with automated backups and web access find something else. If you want to save money and are OK with working through a lot of ISP documentation, getting alternative software and registering lots of things in lots of places to get it all going then this is a VERY good value and reliable device with powerful options for backing up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay but clunky software/GUI, 12 Jan. 2015
I needed somewhere to store/backup my files and media and a NAS seemed like the best option.
I don't actually need (or use) the cloud functionality at the moment but went for this anyway as it might come in handy in the future.

Setup (bypassing the cloud stuff) was easy as pie, although there were areas that could have done with a little more explanation.
The main problem is the web interface is very slow and 'clunky', with strange labelling of some options (e.g. Yes instead of the more common OK), and quite a delay at times between selecting an option and something happening.

Took probably 24 hrs for me to copy 300(ish)gb of files to it over my LAN.
Once it had refreshed its media database and I rebooted it the media server was available on my PCs and PS3.

My films are stored as .ts files and the PS3 had no problem playing them from the server, but be aware that if the DLink is doing anything else then streaming performance will suffer, I could play stuff but FFWDing was a no go unless I was the only thing using the NAS.

Reasonably happy so far (although 3.5 stars is probably nearer the mark), will update if that situation changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cheap NAS device, 8 Mar. 2015
Bought to re-house disks from a failed Buffalo NAS. For the price, it is perfect. The disks were recognised (and re-formatted) and I set up as RAID 1.

The built-in software includes various disk management as well as some network applications - notably media servers (DLNA, iTunes). Although the core CPU speed (and therefore access time) is definitely less than my failed Buffalo NAS, the DLNA server actually seems to work properly (I could never get the Buffalo one to work). I copied all my MP3s and a bunch of films and TV shows from my Humax PVR and these are now accessible via any DLNA client. Pretty cool...

I was so pleased with it that I actually bought a second one for a couple of SATA disks I had lying around and set up as a JBOD array.

The only thing to be aware of - and this is in no way a criticism of the unit itself - is that it WILL FORMAT any disks that you attach. This did make transferring the disks from the Buffalo NAS a bit more of a pain - I needed to access the EXT3 filesystem (which is non-Windows) to retrieve 300GB of data before I inserted them. Not a problem, just tedious.

All in all, an excellent cheap NAS.