5.0 out of 5 stars Best budget NHDD case
I can see everyone moaned about this, however i followed the steps exactly and found that it took me 40mins from opening the box to being able to stream to my phone.

The manual sucks, but the CD guide works quite well and it takes you through set-up really fast and with simple step by step instructions.

Things that i think most people will get caught...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. B. J. Shirley

My FOURTH revision of this review shaped by experience to date and hoping to rteflect trials and tribulations of this product.

Finally this is working brilliantly - but it certainly wasn't out of the box!

There are better out there - Good price but poor documentation and software make this a hard product to recommend.
(this is my fourth...
Published 21 months ago by S. WRIGHT

5.0 out of 5 stars Best budget NHDD case, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: D-Link ShareCenter 2 Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure (Personal Computers)

Things that i think most people will get caught out on:

Setting up DDNS - Dynamic DNS is what allows you to access the device over the net (the cloud function if you like) Dlink give you a free DDNS account with the product. I used this, only i need to know this so i am not fussed that it ends DNS.
You will need your WAN IP (this is the IP that your router has on the internet, it changes now and then, which is why we set up the DDNS, which will auto change in step) you can google on how to find this IP

FTP Set-up
It took me about 5 mins to work out where i was going wrong here, Dlink failed to highlight that you need to have a use associated on the device. So i went to user accounts and made an admin account that had FTP read and write access. (there is a handy vid on youtube i since found and i use FileZilla to access it from my work PC)

download the Apps for device access, i have the ipad one, which works fine and i have the Android one, which although works perfectly on 3g for a stream, has a tendency to not auto play the next track/file.

Transfer speeds are fine, sent 120gb over 54g Wifi in 6 hours, on my buffalo NAS this took 22 hours.
I am using some old HDDS, 1x1TB and 1x500gb, both are over 6 years old and work fine. (BE ADVISED - the drive has its own file structure and as a result will format any HDD you put into the device, if you need to keep files, i put one in at a time and moved filed from one to the other.

File movement, normally moving files around partitions on the same volume is slow as windows or Mac OS pull the file to the local drive and then push it back to the other partition, however using the Web GUI you can move files internally, which of course is then just an edit to the TOC of the drive and takes seconds rather than physically moving the media back and fourth.

GUI is fast, smart and easy to use, if you cant use it then just turn off the PC and go play with some Duplo as this is not for you.
I have since got a second one of these for my 72 year old Gran to use as a Photo and video back up. She loves it and the fact that she can access her images to show friends (at the blue rinse club) she used the GUI just fine and does not struggle with it, this is the same woman who tried to put a DVD in the VHS player.. but still..

If anyone gets stuck they are more than welcome to come and ask me for help here..

On a budget.. Buy this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but... Backup software is dreadful, setup complex, documentations and support poor, 20 Oct 2012
S. WRIGHT (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews

Finally this is working brilliantly - but it certainly wasn't out of the box!

(this is my fourth revision/update of review and now upped it to 3 stars from 1 - reflecting difficulty, time and frustration with device initially giving it one star now 3 having resolved some but not all issues)

The good:
Easy to setup.
Good value (adding your own hard drives is MUCH cheaper)
Easy to setup with one HD and then add a second
Easy to configure RAID
If you abandon the software that comes with it it's a good drive.

The difficult:
Setting up remote connection is a real nightmare - I've lost track of time spent on this. Documentation is dreadful. Be prepare for looking around the net for support and help that makes sense and then having a lot of time to set up ddns and your router and so on with no useful documentation with this device. You'll need to find a lot of information from your ISP.

Once it works then mydlink is excellent and the remote access is superb but it's NOT easy!

Using Genie Timeline has resulted in working continuous versioned backup - however bundled software just failed continuously with any large files and support site only works in IE and closed call after a long unhelpful 'escalation' and no resolution (why can't DLink develop decent software?).

Updating firmware - like all other processes - is poorly documented and far from clear.

The Bad:

The bundled backup software is really, REALLY poor. You can create a backup but then can't modify it. It ALWAYS fails to backup large documents - works fine ion photos and files but once it has a video file to deal with it goes wrong and throws errors. There's NO information on progress, estimated time etc. Support is slow and relatively unhelpful - you're on your own.

I've finally gotten it to work on automated backups but only by excluding any folders with media files in them. However if I want to add a new folder I now have to create a whole new backup task. I'm revisiting my folder structure for a project to accommodate this poor backup software and get round it. Other large files also make it fail.
So can't set-and-forget backups if you have media files.

However the backups if/when they work are good as they are in readable folder structures not created as archives that can't be read (as with say acronis true image) i.e. you can browse a backed up folder structure which is the SAME as your main folder structure so that's a bonus for looking at the backed up files. However... incremental backups don't work - it only works on the original/full backup. In other words the bundled backup software is truly appalling. You either have to do a full backup every time which takes a lot more time and power with no versions/increments or give up and get other software ...
Doesn't work for backing up or returning to previous versions though.

20 days to get an "upgrade firmware" response after 'escalating' support gives you some idea of the contempt DLink hold for their customers, support and software with their products.

Another issue it *claims* an app above however that is the wrong app, and the app that IS for the 320 (mydlink access) doesn't work on galaxy s3 with jellybean it just crashes. So no working app either :-(

Update: New release is now working on android and iPad app also good

Setting up Mac TimeMachine is a nightmare as well - unless you;re only using this as a time machine you'll need to go UNIX command line to edit sparsebundles or it will take over the whole drive in time (cos Apple have written it to get you to buy their overpriced hardware) so you'll have huge issues using this with PC and Mac... No I haven't had time or braveness to do this and probably won't.

So overall:

Compared with my friends and colleagues who have bought other NAS drives I've had a LOT of difficulties with this one. Eventually it is all working but not with the out-of-the-box software and with no help from DLink. I find it it hard to recommend. Far from easy, poor documentation and crap software. If you want something out of the box with automated backups and web access find something else. If you want to save money and are OK with working through a lot of ISP documentation, getting alternative software and registering lots of things in lots of places to get it all going then this is a VERY good value and reliable device with powerful options for backing up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick initial set up, good price, but some flaws..., 26 Oct 2013
When my Iomega home media network drive (cloud edition) decided to render itself completely inaccessible a few days ago I opted to replace it with an enclosure rather than an all-in-one. As the drive in my Iomega was fine, I was quickly able to remove it and pop it into the D-Link. Installation of the drive was a breeze and took bare minutes to get connected up and the installation underway. Setup CD guides you through the basics; having some familiarity with simple networking meant the process was very straight forward (although anyone new to it all might not be sure what options to select and why).

So, the basic install was pretty simple - I had some issues with it accepting usernames and passwords (for mapping network drives) but a quick Google gave me a resolution.

My primary purpose for the NAS is as a media server across my home devices (desktop, MS Surface 2, Sony and Samsung networked Blu-Ray players etc.) - this is where I felt the product was let down. The installed media server software is very, very basic - and while it did work, and I was able to view and access my media files across devices, there appears to be no auto-refresh interval for the media index. So anytime you add new files to the shares, you have to log in to the management interface and force a refresh - painful and it renders the software all but useless. If it has a default refresh time I didn't wait around to find out. Luckily, there is an excellent step by step guide knocking around on the web to help you install Twonky onto the device. It took about 10 minutes to get installed and running and I promptly turned off the onboard media server software. Certainly if better media server software was installed I'd have happily given this 4 stars rather than 3.

I'm also not overly enamoured with the web management interface - I find it a bit clunky and I can see how some of the design might confuse users (there's not enough useful 'help'). There's an unpolished feel to some processes - for example adding users and groups (add a user and it will want you to assign them to a group, but you might not have created it yet - so add a group before the user and it will want you to add users to it... you end up half doing one process, doing the other, then going back to finish off the first half... so yes, unpolished is an apt word)

Another strange behaviour: whenever I log in to it as an administrator it always rejects my password the first time, but lets me in on the second attempt.

I now have the NAS running over the internet (again, a few teething troubles with this but it didn't take long to resolve) and it works satisfactorily but nothing to write home about.

I've not used any of the other provided software features (backup etc.) so can't comment on them.

Final annoyance is the lack of a mobile phone Access-NAS app for the Windows Phone platform.

So, the good:

Quick to install drives
Quiet unit
Basic install is relatively simple
Good value for money

The bad:

Very basic media server software (I'd recommend finding a NAS that comes with something like MyTwonky Server pre-installed for a better experience)
Clunky management interface
No Windows Phone App (not an issue of course if you have Android or iPhone, but Win Phone is an expanding O/S that shouldn't be overlooked like this)
Setup could use some refinement to tidy up the rough edges

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value device, 5 Mar 2014
A great device for those with some technical knowhow. Although some default features are lackluster, this runs Linux for ARM, which can be extended with Fonz fun_plug (ffp); e.g, to run file synchronisation software, or a third party DLNA server.

Pros:
1. Relatively low cost.
2. Extensible with Fonz fun_plug, which allows installation of ARM Linux packages, such as Bittorrent Sync, or MiniDLNA.
3. RAID 0 and 1.

Cons:
1. Slowish Transfer Speed (~30Mbps)
2. Some built-in apps are lackluster, particularly the DLNA server. This can be replaced with MiniDLNA, or Twonky.
3. Lacking support from D-Link.
4. Dubious browser support in the web interface (does not work in Chrome).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Budget NAS, 6 July 2013
I bought this NAS so I could share my content over the network to multiple network devices on my home network mainly using the DLNA server built in to the device.

First thing I should say about this device is that it is a budget device and therefore you shouldn't expect lightning performace. Transferring files over a non gigabit LAN maxes out at around about 11 MB per second, which is about right. However, over wireless, this device is much slower, probably maxing out at around 2/2.5 MB per second (I've tested this from a couple of devices and using a couple of different wireless routers). Still, this is not really an issue once you have loaded up the device with files initially using a wired device you can just push the odd file across. (I've got my Galaxy S3 set up to use ES File Explorer to push and pull files to and from my phone wirelessly over the Lan)

With regards to speed, the web interface is slightly laggy at time but generally gets the job done quite well. In terms of functionality, I've found it pretty damn useful. There is a built in bittorrent client, which can have a schedule set up torrent links can be pasted in to the web interface and set up to download too. The web interface allows you to turn on a web server, ftp server,Apple time capsule and DLNA server too, along with manage files and download them through the web interface too.

As I said, the main reason I had for this was to stream media to multiple devices, both wireless and wired to devices such as laptops, phones an Xbox 360 and a PS3. Once the DLNA server was turned on and folders were selected to share, the device needs to index the folders. Be aware that this can take a while (a few hours for the > 1TB I have on my drive). Once this was complete, the media server showed up instantly in the video section of the XMB on the PS3 as well as Media section on the Xbox.

I've had 2 drives in this so far, a Samsung Spinpoint F2 1TB and a Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB and both have worked flawlessly, were easy to insert into the device and easy to remove. This is done by screwing a small plastic handle to the top of the drive before inserting them into the device and slotting them in. The device itself feels sturdy and fairly well made with the exception of the top 'lid' which needs to be unclipped to add / remove the hard drives (but it will be used so infrequently it won't matter) The design is glossy piano black and silver which looks really nice next to my old style PS3 and the unit is generally inaudible over the PS3, though if the fan needs to spin up to maximum, it will make slightly more noise(it does this when the unit starts up), but nothing too bad (I've never had this happen in all the time I've used this product, which is over 4 months)

There is also a USB 2 port on the device which allows 1 click backing up of the usb device to the NAS box, but I've never used it. Apparently, it can also be used to connect a printer to in order to share it across the network too, but again, its a feature I've never used.

Overall, if you want to have a shared network drive and a cheap network media server, this is a fantastic buy. It's significantly cheaper than other products on the market but this comes at the price of speeds, both wireless as well as the the web interface. This doesn't make the product unusable, far from it, but it is something you should be aware of. I thoroughly recommend it though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set up, 30 Nov 2012
This works OK as a NAS drive but is difficult to set up. Here are some tips:

1) It is better to be connected directly to your router by Ethernet when you do setup rather than through WiFi.
2) After you enter your blank password you'll be prompted to enter a new one.
3) When you get to the screen where it finds the NAS box on your network; note the IP address, you'll need this later to access it through a web browser.
4) When it asks you if you have a dynamic IP DNS service (or something similar) say no unless you definitely know you have one.
5) When you get to the bit about configuring the RAID partition you'll need to log in with a web browser using the IP address you noted earlier.

I had to go through the setup process several times before I finally got it right. Also I had fun reconfiguring my Windows home network until it was visible on my two machines, but this was probably because the Windows network was not set up right before hand.

Also bear in mind RAID does not necessarily give you full dual disk redundancy. If the NAS box itself fries I think you'll need to plug your SATA disks into a Linux system in order to read them. If you just plug them into a replacement NAS box the new box will reformat the disks and wipe the data. This is a bummer as far as I'm concerned because the main reason I bought this box iswas because I thought the RAID system would give me redundant back up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unintuitive so loses one star., 13 Mar 2014
OK. I read the reviews and now i can understand why so many people get issues with the set-up of this thing - and when i say that it's coming from someone that works in IT and in network products. I think the biggest issue for people is not knowing or understanding how to separate all off the different screens and accounts that you appear to have to create when setting the thing up - they all appear to do be repetitive - which of course they are not. You 1st create a dlink dynamic dns entry - this is the same as you registering a web address, it allows you to access your NAS from the internet - when this part is done you can forget about it as you shouldn't have to revisit it. You are then asked to create a dlink account which could appear to be the same thing but of course it is not. Here you are creating an account in the cloud (current buzz word for a service that you access over the internet in this case a Dlink server in a data center somewheres) whereby you can access your NAS drive externally using the host name for the NAS that you chose during setup which will be appended to the dynamic dns address covered in part one - mynasdrive.dlinkddns.com.
What it does not mention however is how to set the port forwarding on your router which is needed for you to access the drive over the NET. Logon to your router and if using Virgin go to advanced settings and chose port forwarding. Select new rule and from the drop down chose HTTP port 80 and specify the IP address that your NAS drive was allocated when you set it up, or the IP address that you assigned to it. Job done.
HOWEVER! the problem i had was when doing the initial set-up and trying to logon to the NAS box using "admin" as the username and leaving (as instructed) the password blank from my windows 8 laptop. It kept telling me i was using the wrong password. After a few laptop reboots and i also reset the NAS drive 3 times (little hole in the base of the unit - press and hold till the lights start flashing) I had disabled anti virus and shutdown the forewall and was on the verge of putting it back in the box when i thought I'd try it on a second pc. From my Windows 7 laptop it worked just fine - so if having the same issue try a second PC, you'll only need to do it the once so it doesn't matter if it does not work from the windows 8 system. If this even helps just one person it would have been worth my while writing it. Please feel free to reply if you need any help setting it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 Jan 2014
My requirement was for a bigger drive to back up my files from multiple PCs. I wanted redundancy in case a drive failed but didn't want to spend a fortune on this implementation. I also added an APC UPS to protect the NAS and other hardware from a power failure (which it did within days of the installation!) and gives time to safely shut down all hardware. This is connected to the USB port of the D-Link and is recognised by it, so it should perform a logical shut-down of the NAS if the power is off for a long period.

I bought the D-Link enclosure then added 2x Seagate NAS drives. Using the wizard, these were configured as raid 1, this basically gives two identical back-ups so if one drive fails the data can still be recovered from the other one. The wizard ran without a problem and configured the system as I required it. I would agree with other reviewers that the instructions aren't the best and that it can be a little confusing in places where it assumes you know what you are doing. It is, however easy enough to reconfigure the device after the initial set-up so if there are questions to which you don't know the answers, just respond "NO" at initial set-up and go back in later using the Web User interface if you need to change them.

After setting up a mydlink account and downloading the app to my apple devices, I was able to access files remotely without a problem. This, however, isn't the main purpose of the NAS in my system.

I am unable to comment about the D-Link back-up software provided, as I don't use it. My preference is to initiate the back-up from the client PC. Depending whether this is a laptop or desktop, it may be manual or scheduled. My preference for back-up software is "Cobian", which has always worked for me satisfactorily.

All in all, the D-Link provides a cost effective solution for my purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance without breaking the bank, 6 Dec 2013
Mr. Glen Micallef (Malta (Europe)) - See all my reviews
I am pleased with all aspects of this NAS. Setup is a breeze, it is silent in operation, aesthetically pleasing, and has a very useful USB 2.0 port that can turn an ordinary printer into a wireless printer. Fast performance, I have experienced no problems streaming 720p video, 1080p is a bit jittery but I suspect it's due to suboptimal WiFi reception rather than the NAS itself. It also has a torrent client, and can be accessed over the internet through a mydlink.com account. For the price, it has surpassed all my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off, works a treat if you're careful!, 11 May 2013
Read the reviews on here with trepidation, but took the plunge anyway as I wasn't convinced any other enclosure would work better and this one was significantly cheaper.

I took note of the advice on here and followed the installation setup on the enclosed CD extremely carefully, double checking settings provided by my ISP and taking screenshots of every setting I entered on the device in case I had to check back later. I set up the email options and the MyDlink settings as I went along, and at the end, fully expecting nothing to be working and to have a long day ahead of me trying to get things in order... I found it was absolutely fine.

No dramas, no complex issues; the NAS was mapped to my PC exactly as it was supposed to be, with both drives inside working happily. I loaded up a few things onto it and it all seemed fine.

I then logged into the configuration screens via my web browser, using the IP address I made a note of while setting it up. Again, no problems whatsoever. The screens are well laid-out and look smart.

Finally, I attempted to log in remotely via MyDlink; something I expected to be so complicated that I hardly even intended to use the function, knowing it would probably not work. To my amazement, first time I logged in, my drive appeared instantly, with all of its contents displayed perfectly.

I also disagree with people who say it feels cheaply made and flimsy; the case in my view is solid, with nice shiny black plastic all over and smart, clear LEDs and buttons. The top cover is a bit pathetic I will accept, and fiddly to take off and put on, but how often do you intend to open up the enclosure once it's running? Mine's tucked away out of sight in any case. Another complaint was with the documentation; while the quick start guide it comes with is short and simple, if you want a full manual, it's available to download and runs to countless hundreds of pages, detailing everything you could ever want to know completely clearly.

All in all, if you do follow the advice of other reviews on here and work through the setup carefully, and above all MAKE A NOTE of everything you enter in the setup process, this works an absolute dream; far more straightforward than I ever would have dreamed from ANY enclosure and at a fraction of the price. You won't regret this!