5.0 out of 5 stars Loved The Twists!
I have to say that each of these stories were very well written. the real kicker though, was the way the author ended each story.
there were some excellent twists in most of these tales.I will look out for more of Brians work. A really entertaining read!
Published 10 months ago by Kaddie

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting collection of short stories.
'She was alive, and although if anyone were to find out the truth, they would seek to brand her a monster. They would be wrong; she was now so much more than Juliet Carlson.'

---My Thoughts---

Published 10 months ago by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting collection of short stories., 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dark Albion (Kindle Edition)

---My Thoughts---

I was given a free copy of this in exchange for a review. I've never really been into short stories, because I love a book that I can really get into and build a connection with the characters. I did enjoy reading this though, but some stories more so than others. I enjoyed the first story in the book, 'The Boy on the Beach'. This was the longest of the stories, and had seven chapters, including an epilogue. As this was longer, I was able to build a connection with Juliet and the story developed well and was easy to follow. I didn't feel like this one was rushed at all, the pace was quick, but there was still plenty of detail.

'Night Walker' was interesting, it was very short, but I did enjoy this one. The twist was definitely unexpected for me. I knew that something was going to happen soon, since it is a short story,but what happened took me by surprise. 'Sins of the Father' was once again very short, and I didn't enjoy this one as much, as it felt slightly rushed. I did get a good insight into Slaybelle's background, but I didn't have the chance to really get a feel for her character and there were things at the end that weren't really cleared up for me and left me slightly confused.

'Halfway House' was fun to read, I definitely wasn't expecting what happened; it was a real shock. Once again though, I was left a bit confused at the end by certain aspects of the story and had to read parts of it again. I enjoyed reading 'Dark Albion', this one didn't feel rushed and I felt that all the details were in place. The plot twist was great, I didn't see it coming and this was of my favourite stories in the collection.

I liked the poem, 'Black', I've not read any poetry since I was in school and I often found it boring and couldn't get a liking for it. However, I enjoyed reading Black, it was easy to follow and it got the story across really well. I felt quite sad by the end of it though. I enjoyed 'A New Beginning', the plot twist was actually shocking and I really didn't see it coming. I did start to feel sorry for Martin, he genuinely seemed to want to turn his life around and make a new start with Donna, but it's cruelly snatched away from him.

Overall, I enjoyed this collection of stories, but I can only rate it 3 stars, because some of them did seem to leave a few loose ends and left me a bit confused and I didn't really get the chance to connect with the characters. But if you like short stories, and you're looking for something new to read, with some shocking plot twists, then I'd recommend you read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved The Twists!, 6 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 8 Jun 2010
John A. Knibb "john272" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark albion (Paperback)
The stories in this book are extremely good; if you like horror and suspense.

Overall, I would recommend it as a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars good work, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dark Albion (Kindle Edition)
the book raises important questions about contemporary Britain. It is interesting by presenting different perspectives, which are usually silenced in public discourse.

Dark Albion